VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Brackets And Pulleys For V-8 Swap

lws67
    lws67

Number of posts : 193
    Registration date : 2012-06-20

Brackets And Pulleys For V-8 Swap Empty Brackets And Pulleys For V-8 Swap

Post by lws67 Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:21 am

I'm gathering the parts to swap to a 360 and now have the correct engine mount brackets What would be the best and keeping it simple stock steel pulley/alt brackets to use for this? Will only have the alternator and the stock water pump to drive prefer that the pulleys are one belt vs. two.
    Ideas? Smile 

busman78
    busman78

Number of posts : 483
    Registration date : 2012-07-11

Brackets And Pulleys For V-8 Swap Empty Re: Brackets And Pulleys For V-8 Swap

Post by busman78 Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:20 am

Bouchillon Performance Eng. (BPE) they have the brackets, kit BPE-5251 for $30.50 and the single groove pulleys are under $60 each.
    lws67
    lws67

Post by lws67 Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:56 am

Thanks, will definitely look into those.
    BoneMan
    BoneMan

Number of posts : 169
    Registration date : 2011-06-23

Post by BoneMan Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:35 am

360, nice. I'm curious if you plan to use the newer style water pump, or the older style? I understand there is a height difference, the newer style is a little longer, moving everything a little closer to the radiator. Maybe others already have experience in this area. I have a 360 that just needs to be assembled. Thanks.  alien 
    lws67
    lws67

Post by lws67 Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:11 am

Dead thread resurrection: I'm now actually acquiring engine components and doing porting etc for a 360 build and install. I only have the 318 left and right engine brackets that mount to the engine. I understand that the right side bracket will have to be modified to fit the 360 block, and from what I've read here and elsewhere, the slant 6 left side frame mounted bracket needs to be changed over to one for the V8, but I have also read only the right side bracket needs modding and that was it. The rubber engine mounts are the same for slant 6 and V8. As this information is all over the place on the web and here in bits and pieces and usually without any pictures, and I have yet to find a post anywhere that covers it all, can someone who has done this type swap tell me definitively what needs to be done to bolt the 360 in where a slant six used to reside? Just to mount the block. Trans and radiator, pump, pulleys etc I'm good. scratch
    busman78
    busman78

Post by busman78 Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:11 am

Trans mission and radiator use the same mounting locations. V8 and /6 engine isolators are not the same. I believe the left frame bracket is the one needing alteration, I had V8 brackets so did not use the old /6 ones.

You did not mention if your 360 is an early or magnum version? This only makes a difference that for a magnum a little mod is needed on the right engine mount bracket.

As for pulleys you can not beat Bouchillon Performance, they are new made from the original Mopar dies, no guessing, excellent quality.

I will post some pictures of brackets, isolators and mounts that I used, right now the picture loading feature is not working, will post again later today.
    lws67
    lws67

Post by lws67 Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:41 am

It's an early 360 w/EQ LA intake heads.
    busman78
    busman78

Post by busman78 Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:14 am

Pictures of engine brackets, I appropriated these pictures from other sources when I was doing my conversion.

Brackets And Pulleys For V-8 Swap A100_m10
    Brackets And Pulleys For V-8 Swap A100_m11
    Brackets And Pulleys For V-8 Swap A100_m12

Pictures of mine, I used the later 70's truck V8 isolator since it is thinner than the original V8 engine isolators lessening the angle/height of the engine since I was using the Edelbrock Air Gap intake the lower the better. Anchor 2265 isolator is what I used.
    Brackets And Pulleys For V-8 Swap Mount_11
    Brackets And Pulleys For V-8 Swap Mount_10

Here is a few pictures of original mounts, brakets and isolators, now did not use the thick isolators but did try them, should give you an idea of what is needed.
    Brackets And Pulleys For V-8 Swap Mounts10
    Brackets And Pulleys For V-8 Swap Early_10
    Brackets And Pulleys For V-8 Swap Early_11

If you need more pictures of the frame brackets I can provide them.
    lws67
    lws67

Post by lws67 Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:32 am

Here are the engine brackets w/mounts I got from someone on the forum here. The brackets and mounts are the same, which I assume is correct for the 318. Looks like from the pictures I'll need both frame brackets as they are different between engines. I'm just gonna have to remove the slant and mock-up and fabricate/mod everything. Not a simple swap. Ugghh!Brackets And Pulleys For V-8 Swap Img_2010
    busman78
    busman78

Post by busman78 Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:08 pm

You are part way there.

Just for kicks here is what the /6 isolators look like, nothing like the V8 models.
    Brackets And Pulleys For V-8 Swap Slant_10

A series of V8 Engine Frame bracket pictures, unfortunately I no longer have the /6 to set them side by side with.
    Brackets And Pulleys For V-8 Swap Engine10
    Brackets And Pulleys For V-8 Swap Engine11
    Brackets And Pulleys For V-8 Swap Engine12
    Brackets And Pulleys For V-8 Swap Engine13
    Brackets And Pulleys For V-8 Swap Engine14

Picture of the Bouchillon Alt kit plus crank and pump pulley, they are the nice new black parts. My crank pulley is a double in case I install AC at a later date.
    Brackets And Pulleys For V-8 Swap Img_0510
    lws67
    lws67

Post by lws67 Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:31 pm

Brackets And Pulleys For V-8 Swap Img_2019Brackets And Pulleys For V-8 Swap Img_2019
    Brackets And Pulleys For V-8 Swap Img_2020
    So I have the factory A100 V8 engine brackets mounted as shown, to the backside of the block ears, needed thin washers on the right side leading ears, and about a 10mm spacer on the left rear ear as shown. Very skeptical as I assume the brackets are supposed to bolt directly to the block with no need for spacers. This is a 1989 360 block, pre magnum. Had to add a plate to the front part of the right bracket as expected, but the spacing issues are baffling. This look right, Anyone?
    busman78
    busman78

Post by busman78 Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:12 am

You have them mounted correctly, both to the back side, left side will definitely need a spacer. Here is a picture of my late model 360 Magnum mounts with early style rubber attached.
    Brackets And Pulleys For V-8 Swap Early_10
    Brackets And Pulleys For V-8 Swap Early_11
    lws67
    lws67

Post by lws67 Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:26 am

Excellent! Was a little worried and thinking something was odd, like maybe a machining error on the block ears, as finding good close-ups of these brackets mounted are hard to come by. Your pictures throughout this thread are invaluable! Thanks and thanks again!Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 10:36 pm