VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
vanny
EconoUSAparts
gotdurt
7 posters

"Suburban" seat users?

gotdurt
    gotdurt

Number of posts : 69
    Registration date : 2013-12-31

"Suburban" seat users? Empty "Suburban" seat users?

Post by gotdurt Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:21 am

I came across a suggestion for Suburban seats in another thread, but can't find much else about them on the E-forums. Curious who is using them, how you mounted them, and how you like them? My '64 finally arrived and seats appear to be more of a priority than originally expected...
    gotdurt
    gotdurt

"Suburban" seat users? Empty Re: "Suburban" seat users?

Post by gotdurt Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:02 am

I went ahead and ordered them, came in yesterday. They look nice, can't speak for fit or comfort yet though. I also haven't had a chance to look into what it will take to adapt them to the stock rails. I have a lot more to do to the van before I can install them though, but I'll update this thread as more develops in case others are considering them as well.
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:58 pm

I can't imagine those seats being narrow enough to use.
    gotdurt
    gotdurt

Post by gotdurt Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:07 pm

EconoUSAparts wrote:I can't imagine those seats being narrow enough to use.
    They are only 19" at their widest point, and at the base and on average are actually narrower than the stock seats. These are not out of a Chevy Suburban, if the name throws anyone; see the link above.
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:10 pm

I think he's referring to the Suburban seat thread where the seats were made specially for vehicles like ours and delivery vehicles. They are made narrow and "easily" adaptable.

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    gotdurt
    gotdurt

Post by gotdurt Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:34 pm

vanny wrote:I think he's referring to the Suburban seat thread where the seats were made specially for vehicles like ours and delivery vehicles. They are made narrow and "easily" adaptable.
    Probably the same. I didn't find any other threads, but this is where I read mention of them:
    https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t37315-front-seat-choices?highlight=seats
    Tried to contact the OP to no avail.
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Post by EconoUSAparts Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:39 pm

Ok, not Chevy Suburban. I checked the link and the price for 2 seats is cheap. Let us know how they work, Seems like a good buy if they fit right and mount easy.
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:11 pm

I am the OP who put the link to them in the thread, they are fantastic and a great deal.  They are narrow enough for a Chevy G van so I would think they will fit a Ford.  They are firm and comfy and very well made and look great.  Making mounting rails is a cinch, just four holes.  They have sold several dozen to vanners recently since they put them online.  They got them in some sort of surplus deal from a european manufacturer for a discontinued small van vehicle like a Transit Connect only smaller not sold in the US, I think they had 500 pairs of them but are down to less than 100 or so...anything else?, PM me....the pic in they ad is one I sent them of my '64 G-10 with them installed....so far I am very pleased with them....
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:56 pm

I need some seats the originals are mia and the ones I have are crap and poorly installed
    gotdurt
    gotdurt

Post by gotdurt Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:08 am

jbass62 wrote:I am the OP who put the link to them in the thread, they are fantastic and a great deal.  They are narrow enough for a Chevy G van so I would think they will fit a Ford.  They are firm and comfy and very well made and look great.  Making mounting rails is a cinch, just four holes.  They have sold several dozen to vanners recently since they put them online.  They got them in some sort of surplus deal from a european manufacturer for a discontinued small van vehicle like a Transit Connect only smaller not sold in the US, I think they had 500 pairs of them but are down to less than 100 or so...anything else?, PM me....the pic in they ad is one I sent them of my '64 G-10 with them installed....so far I am very pleased with them....
    That's what I want to hear... I was hoping to hear from the thread OP too, since he bought them to put in his E van per your recommendation, but haven't heard anything yet.

Seth G wrote:I need some seats the originals are mia and the ones I have are crap and poorly installed
    I'm pretty impressed by these thus far; they seem to be nice quality and look good... as long as you like black. I had one sitting in the driveway when my wife got home and she seemed surprised that they were pretty nice, lol, not sure what she was expecting. They definitely saved a lot of searching in salvage yards for something with someone else's stink and wear on them and cost about the same.

It appears the bolt holes on the base are a couple inches narrower than the existing rails, but are the same fore/aft, so I'm thinking I'll bolt a couple of 1.5" angle iron 'beams' across the stock rails, then drill those.
    gotdurt
    gotdurt

Post by gotdurt Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:42 am

Well, after some measuring, it appears the bolt holes on the seats are off by about 1/8" from the website's specs in both directions; enough to screw up my initial plan a bit... for the passenger side. Not a huge deal though, I can modify my initial plan a bit. I hadn't measured the driver side rails/mounts on the van yet, assuming they were the same as the passenger... they are not. I'm going to have to get a bit creative with the driver side, because there isn't much room for adapters since the bolt holes on the seats are actually very close to those on the van mounts (both directions), but off enough that they won't work together... plus the inner mount/rail is about 1" lower than the outer.
    rehreh07
    rehreh07

Number of posts : 73
    Registration date : 2014-05-02

Post by rehreh07 Sun May 18, 2014 4:48 pm

I bought these and they are great. Justbhadbto take a die grinder to notch the mounting holes out a little bit and the seat bolted right up. They are only 19 inches wide so dog house clearance isn't a issue.
    FCC
    FCC

Number of posts : 295
    Registration date : 2014-04-29

Post by FCC Sun May 18, 2014 6:41 pm

"Suburban" seat users? Nophotos
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Post by EconoUSAparts Sun May 18, 2014 6:54 pm

FCC wrote:"Suburban" seat users? Nophotos

Yea what he said.......
    rehreh07
    rehreh07

Number of posts : 73
    Registration date : 2014-05-02

Post by rehreh07 Sun May 18, 2014 7:02 pm

They are back out right now while other repairs and body work Are being done. I'll post some as soon as possible.
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Post by Vantasia Sun May 18, 2014 7:23 pm

gotdurt wrote:
    vanny wrote:I think he's referring to the Suburban seat thread where the seats were made specially for vehicles like ours and delivery vehicles. They are made narrow and "easily" adaptable.
    Probably the same. I didn't find any other threads, but this is where I read mention of them:
    https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t37315-front-seat-choices?highlight=seats
    Tried to contact the OP to no avail.

That be me! I posted about these under G-vans but also at that link. They are great seats for the price, fit great in a Chevy Van and should work in a Ford. They are a little on the firm side but very comfy. I have been driving around with them for a few months and found them to be very comfortable even on longer trips. Very easy to fabricate mounting brackets from angle and/or flat stock. PM me if you need any other info. They have sold at least a dozen sets to vanners since I posted about them here and at VCVC forum!
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Post by Vantasia Sun May 18, 2014 7:27 pm

EconoUSAparts wrote:
    FCC wrote:"Suburban" seat users? Nophotos

Yea what he said.......
    Posted before, here they are in a '64 Chevy...
    "Suburban" seat users? Dsc02610
    gotdurt
    gotdurt

Post by gotdurt Tue May 20, 2014 9:34 am

'64 Falcon:
    "Suburban" seat users? 2014-010
    Looks like mine differ slightly from jbass62's.
    I managed to get the driver side mounted with minimal fabbing and modding, but the passenger side took more extensive mount fabrication. The size/dimension of the seats however is perfect. They are good quality (made by Lear Corp) and very comfortable.
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Tue May 20, 2014 5:46 pm

Thanks for posting. Looks like a Great fit! Looks like there's enough room between the steering wheel and the seat?

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    gotdurt
    gotdurt

Post by gotdurt Tue May 20, 2014 6:02 pm

Plenty, at least as much as stock.
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Post by EconoUSAparts Tue May 20, 2014 7:00 pm

They look comfy too.
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Post by Vantasia Wed May 21, 2014 12:43 pm

That's weird, I put the adjusting wheels both to the outside with the flip release also outside, in you pic your drivers side has the release on the inside? they sent me seats with opposite controls, yours look like they are both the same, not that it matters as long as you can reach the knob.  On my pass side, you have to slide the seat forward of the pillar to make the adjustment and then slide it back.  Drivers can be reached with the door open....but they are great looking and performing seats, nice deep dish holds you firmly in place.  I added my 3-point belts after that pic was taken...but you can see the short receivers I added to the seat side so they move with the seat position, these seats have a bolt for them and a notch in the side plastic cover...I have plenty of wheel clearance with an aftermarket steering wheel and hub that raises the wheel by about 4" over a stock wheel if you need more clearance, easy to drive, I feel like Ralph Kramden....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 4:24 am