VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Power brakes?

freakNeck
    freakNeck

Number of posts : 69
    Registration date : 2009-07-19

Power brakes? Empty Power brakes?

Post by freakNeck Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:50 pm

We all know to mod our single resevoir brake master cylinder to the two-resevoir variety, for safety sake....

...has anyone here ever bought one of those t-bucket master cylinder assemblies with the small diameter booster and used in in their early?

Like this.....

Power brakes? Master10

Thanks in advance (,again).

Dan
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Power brakes? Empty Re: Power brakes?

Post by m1dadio Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:11 pm

I had that on my van for a while.

Firstly only the master cylinder will fit in the original location unless you plan to move the rad.
    Any boosted master have to be located else where on the van.

The single 7" booster was not enough for me.

I am now using the duel diaphragm 7" and a vac
    canister and the pedal linkage is modified with a lever set up.

M1D
    freakNeck
    freakNeck

Post by freakNeck Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:02 pm

m1,

You're saying a setup like this will fit if the radiator's moved?

I take it the canister is used to provide extra vacuum, like a big capacitor used to provide just a little extra juice when a current draw peak is required.

I see they do have dual diaphragm boosters, but what I saw was significantly more expensive.

You say your setup has the linkage modified? Is this for changing the placement of the assembly?

Thanks.

Dan
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Post by m1dadio Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:57 pm

On mine I placed the booster and master behind the rad. The lever assembly i have is; #1 to reach the booster from the stock pedal location , #2 to decrease the pedal ratio. Boosted brakes should be about 4:1 pedal ration and manual brakes should be about 6.5:1 The early brake pedal is neither best for manual or boosted brakes but falls right about in the middle, I think 5.36 if I remember correctly.   My brake pedal would be way easier to push but travel too far with the stock pedal ratio.
    Power brakes? Dscn0313
    Power brakes? Dscn0314
    I'm not 100% certain a booster will fit under the floor at the original location i have never tried that because I was not going to move the rad.

I put mine just behind the rad
    Power brakes? 00210
    Power brakes? Dscn0910
    Power brakes? Dscn0911
    I made a bracket to bolt it to the van frame channel
    Power brakes? Img07810

The canister not only provides more Vac volume  but because I have it set up with multiple check valves it will actually captures and retains a higher vacuum signal then I get at idle. this happens when I quickly get off the gas from a higher engine RPM  the manifold vacuum momentarily rises as the throttle plates slam shut and the engine is still at RPM. I gain an extra 2 to 3" of vacuum sgnal which makes a noticeable difference in boost pressure.

Power brakes? Vacuum10

m1d
    freakNeck
    freakNeck

Post by freakNeck Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:59 am

Thank you m1 for posting the pictures. Picture are so more enlightening that descriptive text.

The booster/cylinder end up being in the doghouse it looks like. Is that a gen1 or gen2 house? ....and the additional linkage you made is to adjust the pedal ratio. Interesting, I wouldn't have thought of that.

Initially, in my plans, I wanted to do power steering and power brakes. I do have a power steering box from an early 80's Toyota pickup truck, and had been looking at the power brake stuff, but I'm not certain now, and the bottom of the list is the power steering. Using that PS box requires some modification to the 'frame channel', and I don't know if I'm up to that.

Whoever owned this van before me, was using it as a 4 x 4, with manual steering, 31" tires, and one of those small aftermarket foam covered steering wheels.

Thanks again for your input.

Dan
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:05 am

freakNeck wrote:
    Whoever owned this van before me, was using it as a 4 x 4, with manual steering, 31" tires, and one of those small aftermarket foam covered steering wheels.
    Dan

Don't arm wrestle THAT GUY!

M1, great info!
    Space Truckin
    Space Truckin

Number of posts : 1279
    Registration date : 2009-10-17

Post by Space Truckin Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:38 pm

What about this?  M1/ Rod
    Cardone
    Part Number: 51-9111
    At RockAuto for 67-70 Chevy  Question 

Power brakes? 67-70_10
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Post by m1dadio Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:29 pm

Space Truckin: I have never used those boosters or even felt the pedal with one.

They are bulky and require allot of bleeding and set up. I suspect there are other reasons the big three manufactures didn't make those the "way to go" for future boosted van and car  brakes.

Freakneck:  it is a 2nd gen house in a 1st gen. the booster is not in the dog house, Its mounted to the frame box below the floor line. here is when I had the single 7" booster
    Power brakes? Power_10

m1d
    freakNeck
    freakNeck

Post by freakNeck Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:00 pm

m1-

I understand it's not up in the doghouse, but visible from above. It looks like there is significant room though.

I hadn't though about moving it rearward that far, nor considered the radiator location, but your setup looks great.

Thanks for your time.

Dan

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 7:40 am