VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Turn signal replacement (you might want to check)

wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 1388
    Registration date : 2008-05-11

Turn signal replacement (you might want to check) Empty Turn signal replacement (you might want to check)

Post by wideload Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:46 am

I got a set of replacement turn signals for my 65 for Christmas and started replacing them yesterday. When I removed the old ones I didn't like what I found!!!!!!! The originals have a foam type gasket behind them that apparently holds moisture between it and the body of the van. There was no visible rust around the lights just under the gasket. The one in the pic was the worst of the two. For now I just cleaned it up and put a good coat of primer on it.

Turn signal replacement (you might want to check) P1150010

The new ones didn't come with the gasket so I'm going to install them without one. Don't know if that gasket is even available. The new lights (from Brother's) are not near the quality of the originals.

wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 1388
    Registration date : 2008-05-11

Turn signal replacement (you might want to check) Empty Re: Turn signal replacement (you might want to check)

Post by wideload Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:19 pm

Just a follow-up, I wouldn't recommend the assemblies from Brother's (cheap made crap). Glad I got them for a present rather than buying them.

millwright71
    millwright71

Number of posts : 531
    Registration date : 2012-05-28

Turn signal replacement (you might want to check) Empty Re: Turn signal replacement (you might want to check)

Post by millwright71 Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:27 pm

Mine were rusted out as well. Went ahead and cut them out to size, and welded in a large flat washer. Then drilled the mounting holes for the light.
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:31 am

I didn't really care for the lens screws that came with the set I got from Brothers. Cure was to thread the holes for a #10 or #8 stove bolt which I found in Stainless Steel.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:47 am