VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+5
ECMCARS
fmc56
iambeninla
Twinpilot001
gotdurt
9 posters

Grant or other steering wheel adapters?

gotdurt
    gotdurt

Number of posts : 69
    Registration date : 2013-12-31

Grant or other steering wheel adapters? Empty Grant or other steering wheel adapters?

Post by gotdurt Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:37 pm

Who has installed a Grant or other aftermarket steering wheel to the E? I have a sweet Raid 6-bolt wheel that I saved from a past vehicle, but I can't find an adapter part number listed from Grant for the E... I'm guessing there's something that cross-references it though. Your experiences?
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Grant or other steering wheel adapters? Empty Re: Grant or other steering wheel adapters?

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:48 pm

call them & also call summit
    gotdurt
    gotdurt

Grant or other steering wheel adapters? Empty Re: Grant or other steering wheel adapters?

Post by gotdurt Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:32 pm

I will, but in my google searches, people haven't had very good luck getting proper cross part#'s from them for unlisted vehicles. I figure if someone has actually done it and gone through the headache, they might have the part# that worked for them.
    iambeninla
    iambeninla

Number of posts : 60
    Registration date : 2012-12-02

Grant or other steering wheel adapters? Empty Grant adapter

Post by iambeninla Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:28 pm

I have a Grant wheel on mine but I don't remember which adapter I used. If you call Grant they say they don't have one that fits. I think it is something with the horn. I never have luck with Grant wheels and the horn working anyway.
    iambeninla
    iambeninla

Number of posts : 60
    Registration date : 2012-12-02

Grant or other steering wheel adapters? Empty Grant adapter

Post by iambeninla Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:40 pm

I found my notes and I have a Grant # 4257 adapter. You can order it from your local O'Reilly and see if it works for you. If not just return it.
    gotdurt
    gotdurt

Post by gotdurt Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:12 am

iambeninla wrote:I found my notes and I have a Grant # 4257 adapter. You can order it from your local O'Reilly and see if it works for you. If not just return it.
    Thanks, good idea, I'll probably give that a try.
    fmc56
    fmc56

Number of posts : 553
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by fmc56 Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:28 pm

What year is your van? The adapter for the 67 is different from 61-66. Most of the ones I have seen fit 67 - up. If you change the turn signal switch to a 67 the 67-up adapter will work. If you try to install the 67-up adapter onto a 61-66 it will crush the horn contact ring on the turn signal switch.
    Fred
    ECMCARS
    ECMCARS

Number of posts : 17
    Registration date : 2012-11-23

Post by ECMCARS Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:53 pm

I just did this and the pick up truck is the same (grant app.)
    gotdurt
    gotdurt

Post by gotdurt Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:13 am

Mine's a 64... Ecmcars and iambeninla, what years are yours?
    I did contact Grant, they responded and asked if it was a Grant wheel, I told them no, but that I can get a 6-bolt to Grant 3-bolt adapter, I just need their part number for the 64 Econoline... never heard back.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:53 am

I called sumit racing they have all listings or will find out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cheers 
    ECMCARS
    ECMCARS

Number of posts : 17
    Registration date : 2012-11-23

Post by ECMCARS Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:20 pm

I have a grant steering wheel and used the the grant install kit 3285 for a 1965 F-100, my van is 1965.
    from summit.
    gotdurt
    gotdurt

Post by gotdurt Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:24 pm

O'reilly had a 3285 kit in stock, so I picked it up and it appears it will work technically, only problem is that the black hub cover is a much smaller diameter that the one on the column... so when mounted, you'll be able to see inside the signal mechanism. I still have to get a 6-3 bolt adapter for my Raid wheel though, so I don't know if you'll be able to see it with the wheel installed. Anyone know if the 4257 kit matches better?
    gotdurt
    gotdurt

Post by gotdurt Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:58 pm

Well, got my 6-3 bolt adapter, bolted everything up, and it doesn't look like the 3285 kit is going to work; I can't torque it down without crushing the horn contact ring like Fred said... hard to tell by photos if the 4257 will solve the problem and if the hub cover will be a larger diameter as well (cosmetic)... O'reilly doesn't have it in stock right now (not even on line), and Autozone shows it as a special order item...
    gotdurt
    gotdurt

Post by gotdurt Wed May 21, 2014 3:54 pm

Okay, finally got back around to this... none of the local parts stores could get the 4257 anymore, so I had to order it from Summit. In this case, the hub cover is the same diameter, but the hub itself is taller... it doesn't touch the horn ring either, but I'm using a horn button off the wheel. So, now there is about a 1/2" gap between the covers... I have some ideas though on how to close the gap, so I'm keeping it.

Grant or other steering wheel adapters? 2014-011
    Grant or other steering wheel adapters? 2014-012
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Wed May 21, 2014 5:26 pm

Seems like you could slip a small rubber sleeve over the bottom section to fill the gap...Just a thought. Kind of like the rubber seals you can get for the doghouse lids. Just thinking out loud...

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    gotdurt
    gotdurt

Post by gotdurt Wed May 21, 2014 6:33 pm

Yep, I'm open to ideas, and it doesn't have to be perfect, just enough to not draw attention to it, and if it does draw attention, just needs to be unique (I'm going with a little bit of a rat rod-ish theme). Part of me says to just go back to Oreilly and repurchase the 3285 kit to use with this cover, then everything should match-up... but I'm too cheap  Smile
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Wed May 21, 2014 11:02 pm

For me it's hard to beat the deluxe stock wheel with the horn ring over the lower wheel

Grant or other steering wheel adapters? 0909tr_02_z%2B1967_ford_econoline_van%2Bsteering_wheel

Leather wrap the wheel and you've arrived
    Army of Six
    Army of Six

Number of posts : 241
    Registration date : 2010-10-02

Post by Army of Six Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:04 pm

Gotdurt.... I didn't catch what year your econo was? I'm trying to find an adapter for my 67. I'm not worried about a gap I just want it to work with my turn sigs
    gotdurt
    gotdurt

Post by gotdurt Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:36 pm

It's a '64.
    FCC
    FCC

Number of posts : 295
    Registration date : 2014-04-29

Post by FCC Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:54 am

I need to do a resto on my DCW wheel. That looks awesome..

Although, a big blue sparkly wheel would be fun as L

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 5:02 am