VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+18
Keith D
rustytoolss
Seth G
bkaspr
benwah
westcoastvanner
gary h
playnpossum
BADBADGER
terencejiminy
RodStRace
dix
A100 Wrench
G-Man
BvrWally
pittsdriver
Twinpilot001
chrisnben
22 posters

how rare is power steering on A's??

chrisnben
    chrisnben

Number of posts : 38
    Registration date : 2013-11-12

how rare is power steering on A's?? Empty how rare is power steering on A's??

Post by chrisnben Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:47 am

Well, went to the boneyard yesterday. I found an A108 van, 318 w/ PS. Pretty sure (couldn't tell from the VIN tag) that it was a 1970 having an electronic voltage reg under the dash. Weird that the elec. control module was missing though Shocked 
    How rare is the power steering on these? I'm thinking I might have to rob this unit to help with the planned 13" steering wheel & larger 15" wheels for turning purposes. Cool
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

how rare is power steering on A's?? Empty Re: how rare is power steering on A's??

Post by Twinpilot001 Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:48 am

best be gettin that steering complete -SOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!cheers  Like= =TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!
    pittsdriver
    pittsdriver

Number of posts : 335
    Registration date : 2010-08-12

how rare is power steering on A's?? Empty Re: how rare is power steering on A's??

Post by pittsdriver Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:57 am

I believe power steering was a dealer installed option. The unit on my 67 looks like an add on. I see no reference to power steering in any of my service manuals. Don
    chrisnben
    chrisnben

how rare is power steering on A's?? Empty p. steering

Post by chrisnben Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:34 am

yeah, normally these trucks wouldn't require it with the school bus steering wheel and 14" tires. Odd though the dealer would install it? I will be grabbing that fo sho!
    BvrWally
    BvrWally

Number of posts : 946
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by BvrWally Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:57 am

From what I have heard from my A-100 Dodge Gurus, is that is that they only offered "Power Steering" in the 1967 Model year?
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:04 am

I think it was 67 and up
    A100 Wrench
    A100 Wrench

Number of posts : 572
    Registration date : 2013-05-12

Post by A100 Wrench Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:44 am

Only seen one unit and went back a week later and they had crushed the van.My loss,don't delay on the purchase.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8748
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:50 pm

I beleive it was called streering assist not power steering. seen them in photo's but not in person. But then you would have to climb under the truck to see it.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:46 pm

I got a power assist steering assembly with the 8-door I bought.
    It is a power ram, like the style used on early Corvettes and fords before they went with a power steering box.
    They are pretty rare. I'd hazard a guess that they were used on some wagons so women could handle them and RVs.

I'd grab it for sure, but check into rebuild costs before committing to using it. There are several places that offer the pump, a few that mention hoses, but didn't see any offerings for the ram/control valve. I'd guess that most hydraulic places could rebuild if the seals and such are available.

Allpar says they started in 1968 with automatic transmissions.
    http://www.allpar.com/trucks/vans.html

One guy here has been working on a power steering box installation. Do a search for it.

terencejiminy
    terencejiminy

Number of posts : 62
    Registration date : 2008-09-08

Post by terencejiminy Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:00 pm

Mid 1967 on. Power Steering was NOT offered FROM THE FACTORY but was offered after market from Ross and Gemmer AND/OR Saginaw. TRAVCO Mobile Home, Mobile Office and Camper conversions had Power Steering installed (along with ugly roof mounted AC) at their conversion center/factory (with horizontal crossway mounted slave cylinder on the beam axle center tie rod link. Control was accomplished by a motion sensing 4 hoses drag link fed by an add-on PS Pump. Looked like the system on the Beam Axle D-100, up to 71.
    Due to the similarities in mechanism/attachment we DID test/adapt 1 or 2 (Bolt-ON) Power Steering from  the limited production P-200 Post Office - Bare Chassis to the A100 & A108 OFF the line in 1969 in Special Equipment at Warren Truck Assembly. Never was put ON THE LINE. THe new B series van was on its way. it was going to have all of those creature comforts.Very Happy 
    NOTE: Idea The P-200 used the same steering column and similar steering box as the A.
    But then remember the P-200s were rare since the Post Office was upgrading to larger (P 400) chassis from Dodge in the late 60's early 70's.May have only been 300 total P-200s made.The internet hadn't arrived yet so business for our USPS was picking up THEN.....
    I know that in 70 a repairman off the assembly line took the Power Steering From a 67 D-100, reworked the A-100 draglink (cut, threaded, tapped) to fit the shuttle motion sensing center section from the "D". The slave cylinder fit his 69 "A" as removed from the "D". Took some creative hose routing and avoidance of little 14" wheels and tires. Got too cramped in that wheel well!Crying or Very sad 
    Said his wife's new forearms were ripping through her sweaters.Shocked  LOL

Ter'
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:42 am

Thanks for the first person info, Terry!
    BvrWally
    BvrWally

Post by BvrWally Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:06 pm

This is what we are talking about, and it is very "Rare" indeed! LOL

how rare is power steering on A's?? A100PSDragLink

how rare is power steering on A's?? A100PSActuator
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:27 pm

over the years only seen a few with it
    chrisnben
    chrisnben

Post by chrisnben Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:09 pm

yep, once the weather gets above 20 degrees:shock: i'll go yank it out of the donormobile. Looks like i'll be there a while! thanks guys
    pittsdriver
    pittsdriver

Number of posts : 335
    Registration date : 2010-08-12

Post by pittsdriver Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:06 pm

Mine has everything but the pump.
    BADBADGER
    BADBADGER

Number of posts : 246
    Registration date : 2009-05-15

how rare is power steering on A's?? Empty Re: how rare is power steering on the aVan

Post by BADBADGER Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:30 pm

I have had two of the power assist steering units. Both came of off Travco van conversions. The first one I sold some time back then decided it was a mistake to sell it and found another one. I installed the complete unit after having some new hoses made and flushed out any contaminants that may have been it the components. The first problem I found was, the carburetor linkage is on the left side of my engine attached to the front of the head, a pretty neat system. The carb linkage linkage for the PA steering has to run all the way under the engine and come up on the back side of the carburetor, The power steering pump mounts right where the front carb linkage goes. Went back the the guy I got it from and he gave me the correct linkage setup. After installing the unit and getting it filled up with fluid, air purged out I found that the power asset ram was leaking pretty bad. Pulled the ram off and tried to find a way to replace the interior seal. The ram is a sealed unit. In order to repair it, the ram has to be cut open, disassembled, components replaced and welded back together. After failing to find some one who could do this work I finally pulled all of the unit off and went back to stock steering.
    Last week at Hot August Nights swap I met a guy who thinks there is a hydraulic repair shop in Reno that can fix the ram. I will be checking it out this week. My guess is it will be very expensive. More later on that. The part that replaces the drag link is a whole new night mare. The original company that manufactured the part was in Santa Ana Ca. They discontinued that model drag link many years ago and don't have any schematics or parts available. I was fortunate enough to be able to drive the van with the PA steering a few times, Even with the leak it was awesome steering.

BvrWally
    BvrWally

Post by BvrWally Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:14 pm

Well I have one for sale and at a reasonable price of $500 due to the rarity of the item! Local pick up ONLY! Complete item!
    BvrWally
    BvrWally

Post by BvrWally Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:55 am

I have this assembly currently for sale and am asking $500 for it and local pickup only!
    playnpossum
    playnpossum

Number of posts : 115
    Registration date : 2014-02-17

Post by playnpossum Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:25 pm

I have one of these, and spoke with a company in Ca. that rebuilds them. I think I found the information on here. I remember the price being steep so I am undecided about using it or trading/ Selling it.
    gary h
    gary h

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2012-10-19

Post by gary h Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:07 pm

Any thoughts on how to "bench test" the rams? Wonder if there was ever a rebuild kit for the ram or the special draglink? cheers
    westcoastvanner
    westcoastvanner

Number of posts : 1686
    Registration date : 2008-10-04

Post by westcoastvanner Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:42 am

How is the drivien when using the power assist units, is it mushy?
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:05 am

I had one and after driving a friends 69 Explorer that has the power assist I sold it. I didn't like the ride. I have been driving these early's a long time so I'm used to feeling the road. I wouldn't say mushy just you don't feel anything. Just that classic over powered steer with your pinkey finger on most cars of this era.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:07 am

Just do like some of us - change over to =Electric steering!! I have 2 suv's now with it -amazing!! cheers
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:24 am

Twinpilot001 wrote:Just do like some of us - change over to =Electric steering!! I have 2 suv's now with it -amazing!! cheers
    Ill stick with the "popeye" forearms.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:37 pm

You KIDS - You will Learn!! lol! lol! lol!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 2:02 am