VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's


+18
Keith D
rustytoolss
Seth G
bkaspr
benwah
westcoastvanner
gary h
playnpossum
BADBADGER
terencejiminy
RodStRace
dix
A100 Wrench
G-Man
BvrWally
pittsdriver
Twinpilot001
chrisnben
22 posters

    how rare is power steering on A's??

    bkaspr
    bkaspr


    Number of posts : 41
    Location : Norwalk, CT
    Registration date : 2016-09-15

    how rare is power steering on A's?? - Page 2 Empty Re: how rare is power steering on A's??

    Post by bkaspr Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:48 pm

    Chiming in on this old thread. I am looking high and low for some power steering options for my 65 a100. So I have 2 questions. First, is there a power steering box out there that will work with the vans? Minimal fabrication is preferred. Second, has anyone tried using one of the new Vega power steering boxes? They seem simple enough, almost the exact same size etc. The plate that holds the stock box would have to be altered, but really just new mounting holes. I realize you'd have to change the pitman arm, as well as update the column (something I'm already planning on doing).

    Here's an image of the one on summit:

    how rare is power steering on A's?? - Page 2 Clp-cp50006c_xl

    Who has some thoughts on this?

    kiwimopar likes this post

    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager


    Number of posts : 2086
    Location : Anacortes, WA
    Age : 50
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

    how rare is power steering on A's?? - Page 2 Empty Re: how rare is power steering on A's??

    Post by Seth G Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:45 pm

    I think that would work on an Econoline from the look of it. The ports are oriented 180 off though, unless there are ports on both sides.
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss


    Number of posts : 624
    Location : Clinton, Ohio
    Age : 67
    Registration date : 2013-07-19

    how rare is power steering on A's?? - Page 2 Empty Re: how rare is power steering on A's??

    Post by rustytoolss Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:36 pm

    look here
    Keith D
    Keith D


    Number of posts : 405
    Location : El Dorado Hills, Ca
    Registration date : 2016-11-25

    how rare is power steering on A's?? - Page 2 Empty Re: how rare is power steering on A's??

    Post by Keith D Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:13 pm

    Reviving an old thread from the dead... I stumbled across this youtube video with no explanation on what he did or how he did it.

    Does anyone know about adapting a Prius power steering setup to the A100s?

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOpD7IdyBK4



    jrdunn96
    jrdunn96


    Number of posts : 691
    Location : Cashion, OK
    Age : 62
    Registration date : 2016-01-01

    how rare is power steering on A's?? - Page 2 Empty Re: how rare is power steering on A's??

    Post by jrdunn96 Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:34 am

    Doesn't the Prius have electric power steering?  I think there is a thread on here about that but they used a Saturn unit(If memory serves.).
    Try this:
    https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t51256-electric-power-steering-conversion-saturn-vue-and-wiring-kit?highlight=saturn
    avatar
    Guest
    Guest


    how rare is power steering on A's?? - Page 2 Empty Re: how rare is power steering on A's??

    Post by Guest Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:28 am

    I had a '69 A-108 Family Wagon camper with factory power steering. I even had a copy of the official Dodge service manual supplement that covered the option. Only available on V8/auto.
    69
    69


    Number of posts : 445
    Location : Germany, Nds
    Registration date : 2016-10-18

    how rare is power steering on A's?? - Page 2 Empty Re: how rare is power steering on A's??

    Post by 69 Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:45 am

    By any chance, do you still have a (electronic) copy of that addition? Would be very helpful - my paper service manual is missing that, although my PU has the power steering.

    Thanks a lot.

    HvyChvyG20 wrote:I had a '69 A-108 Family Wagon camper with factory power steering.  I even had a copy of the official Dodge service manual supplement that covered the option.  Only available on V8/auto.
    avatar
    Guest
    Guest


    how rare is power steering on A's?? - Page 2 Empty Re: how rare is power steering on A's??

    Post by Guest Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:13 am

    Unfortunately no. This was almost 20 years ago.
    docmcg
    docmcg


    Number of posts : 205
    Location : Visalia, CA
    Registration date : 2014-09-08

    how rare is power steering on A's?? - Page 2 Empty Re: how rare is power steering on A's??

    Post by docmcg Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:40 am

    I am in the process of adapting the Saturn power assist motor to my A100 pickup. What I found helpful was to disassemble the different u joints and reassemble the upper half of the output joint with the 3/4” DD joint to give me the proper u joint to connect the lower section of the column. Keep in mind that I have also installed an Isuzu intermediate steering gearbox that in turn connects to the rack on my recently installed independent front suspension. It’s a very slow and involved process (as is everything I do on this truck!).
    docmcg
    docmcg


    Number of posts : 205
    Location : Visalia, CA
    Registration date : 2014-09-08

    how rare is power steering on A's?? - Page 2 Empty Re: how rare is power steering on A's??

    Post by docmcg Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:48 am

    Found a website that has everything one needs to adapt Saturn Vue power assist to any vehicle. Fair amount of fabrication, but very doable. Has all the spline adaptors, even has instruction for the whole process. epowersteering.com   Check them out.

    jrdunn96 likes this post

    kiwimopar
    kiwimopar


    Number of posts : 749
    Location : New Zealand
    Registration date : 2010-01-23

    how rare is power steering on A's?? - Page 2 Empty Re: how rare is power steering on A's??

    Post by kiwimopar Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:12 pm

    bkaspr wrote:Chiming in on this old thread. I am looking high and low for some power steering options for my 65 a100. So I have 2 questions. First, is there a power steering box out there that will work with the vans? Minimal fabrication is preferred. Second, has anyone tried using one of the new Vega power steering boxes? They seem simple enough, almost the exact same size etc. The plate that holds the stock box would have to be altered, but really just new mounting holes. I realize you'd have to change the pitman arm, as well as update the column (something I'm already planning on doing).

    Here's an image of the one on summit:

    how rare is power steering on A's?? - Page 2 Clp-cp50006c_xl

    Who has some thoughts on this?

    Did you get any further on this one?

    As it happens, I bought the same steering box unit last year for conversion. Took ages to find a suitable and decent sized unit to fit. Planning on getting the adaptor plate made up over the next few months.
    Keith D
    Keith D


    Number of posts : 405
    Location : El Dorado Hills, Ca
    Registration date : 2016-11-25

    how rare is power steering on A's?? - Page 2 Empty Re: how rare is power steering on A's??

    Post by Keith D Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:02 pm

    One option is to go with an electric power steering unit.

    https://epasperformance.com/products/dodge-a100

    kiwimopar likes this post

    kiwimopar
    kiwimopar


    Number of posts : 749
    Location : New Zealand
    Registration date : 2010-01-23

    how rare is power steering on A's?? - Page 2 Empty Re: how rare is power steering on A's??

    Post by kiwimopar Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:08 pm

    Keith D wrote:One option is to go with an electric power steering unit.

    https://epasperformance.com/products/dodge-a100

    Thank you for the link.

    I am trying to get away from running my steering through the original steering box.  One reason is that the 'Powers that be' here are not very amused by people cutting their steering columns.  Another reason is that all the EPAS unit does is amplify all the bad motion or looseness in the original box via the linkages.

    Not trying to run you or the EPAS down......just trying to make the steering feel nice and positive without the factory 'wander' that these vehicles are famous for.

    The downside of running the Vega box is that a pump is required, and that takes a lot of space up.....but I am sure will work.

    Thanks.   how rare is power steering on A's?? - Page 2 1f600
    Keith D
    Keith D


    Number of posts : 405
    Location : El Dorado Hills, Ca
    Registration date : 2016-11-25

    how rare is power steering on A's?? - Page 2 Empty Re: how rare is power steering on A's??

    Post by Keith D Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:02 pm

    kiwimopar wrote:
    Keith D wrote:One option is to go with an electric power steering unit.

    https://epasperformance.com/products/dodge-a100

    Thank you for the link.

    I am trying to get away from running my steering through the original steering box.  One reason is that the 'Powers that be' here are not very amused by people cutting their steering columns.  Another reason is that all the EPAS unit does is amplify all the bad motion or looseness in the original box via the linkages.

    Not trying to run you or the EPAS down......just trying to make the steering feel nice and positive without the factory 'wander' that these vehicles are famous for.

    The downside of running the Vega box is that a pump is required, and that takes a lot of space up.....but I am sure will work.

    Thanks.   how rare is power steering on A's?? - Page 2 1f600

    I understand... Let us now how it turns out. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the steering on my van.

    I had the steering box rebuilt already and I have a original A100 power assist setup. I have not had the ram, control, or pump rebuilt yet. Still thinking which direction I want to go.

    kiwimopar likes this post

    kiwimopar
    kiwimopar


    Number of posts : 749
    Location : New Zealand
    Registration date : 2010-01-23

    how rare is power steering on A's?? - Page 2 Empty Re: how rare is power steering on A's??

    Post by kiwimopar Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:17 pm

    I replaced my steering box a few years ago with a rebuilt unit ....and although once adjusted it is OK on the road, it's the reversing and parking that makes for a heavy job steering. Also, with the need for the original steering wheel to turn that sucker, there's not much between the wheel and the driver's belly.....lol

    Sponsored content


    how rare is power steering on A's?? - Page 2 Empty Re: how rare is power steering on A's??

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Mon Jul 15, 2024 4:28 am