VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Triple bypass surgery

Chroma66
    Chroma66

Number of posts : 101
    Registration date : 2011-03-02

Triple bypass surgery Empty Triple bypass surgery

Post by Chroma66 Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:46 pm

Haven't gotten the chance to go thru the van start checklist yet-but we found a simple solution to our harness connector problem....

Corrosion of conformity
    Triple bypass surgery Van13_15

Triple bypass surgery Triple11

Farm-boy fixed!  I've never seen this solution before on VV.  Hmm...
    Triple bypass surgery Triple12

The tripled wire replaces-you guessed it-the wire to the starting motor; the single one with the red crimpers goes to the ignition switch,  based on my interpretation of a diagram published on VV.  Note: I take full responsibility for the consequences.  But it runs! I'm impressed! And I now have a fire extinguisher in the van.
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Triple bypass surgery Empty Re: Triple bypass surgery

Post by Joe Van Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:17 am

I am having the same problem with mine about every 20-30 starts I have to wiggle that connector to get the starter solenoid to engage and have cleaned the contacts twice and I have thought about eliminating that connector also let us know if it works out.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:59 am

Mine kind of looks like that, by-passed and some of it works ,some dead ends. pretty wiring was never my strong suit. Smile
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Post by Joe Van Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:30 am

I dont understand the triple wires are they fusable links?? if it is just a scolinoid wire why not just run one wire to it.!!! Does any one know what the other wires are for in that connector.???scratch .....
    Chroma66
    Chroma66

Number of posts : 101
    Registration date : 2011-03-02

Post by Chroma66 Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:18 am

So far as we know, all of those wires in the holder go to the dashboard lights. However headlights, break lights,turn signals, windshield wipers, heater all run off that triple connected wire. The connector is sill  unplugged just like in the picture.  The van started up great this a.m.!  Also, turning on the headlights was killing the engine, but we didn't have that happen today.

I was balking at replacing/bypassing the connector with crimped wire, but apparently that connector is only there to make installing the wiring easier during manufacturing of the car, and it is outdated technology anyway. It's a specific type of connector, name starts with an M or W.

@ JOEVAN:

The wire with the triple connection is a big wire, a "load bearing" wire; it runs almost everything in the van. We only had smaller wire, so we combined three small wires in order to support the heavy electrical load of the connection-only one smaller wire would have burned thru from too much current passing thru it.

You can see where one of the prongs on the connector is totally burnt out and corroded-this is where the tripled wire was connected.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 2:48 am