VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

Help finding V-8 swap info

Help finding V-8 swap info  Empty Help finding V-8 swap info

Post by Guest Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:05 pm

I know there is a lot of info on here about V-8 Swaps. I just don't know how to find it. Sad  Can somebody point me in the right directions to find the threads i need?
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Help finding V-8 swap info  Empty Re: Help finding V-8 swap info

Post by Old Skool Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:24 pm

Dont know your name????? However I make V8 conversion cross members, transmisson cross members, disc brakes, automatic shift cable convesions, V8 throttle cables and foot pedal assemblies, master cylinder rebuilds and conversions, automatic steering columns, rear ends and lots of info,,,,, V8 truck conversions in progress,, so on...
    Need to start with what year and type truck you have? Do you have any of the parts, are you researching?? I can help you with combinations of year and type truck, radiators, dog houses, rear ends,, LOTS of posts,,,,
    vic

Post by Guest Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:57 pm

I am pretty new to the forum. I have a '63 van. I have an '82 5.0 motor and what I believe to be a '66 240 six engine cross member.
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:28 pm

Pretty knew to the forum,,,, LOL.... please introduce yourself,,,,,
    This will end up a pretty long thread, and has been done a few times before, and new people are the life blood of our habit,,,,, plan on an extra truck or so as it always ends up that way,,,,, he,he,,

Anyways,,, I can give you what I know and am sure some others will add points here and there which will give you at least some things to study and juggle in your own mind. The advantage of this is that IF you continue with it, we can help you not to waste some efforts and moneys... LOTS of experience here. Myself,, been messing with these trucks for over 45 years at least....LOL
    To start with and to help you go through it easier you will need to remember that we basically talk about two generations of our trucks, with the 1st generation split into EARLIES and LATES and the 2nd generation Econolines referred to as GENII Econolines meaning 68 to 74's with only one class of those. The reason for even talking about them is that we still use SOME of their parts for ours.
    The EARLIES meaning the 61 to 64's and the LATES meaning the 65 to 67's,, with BOTH of these considered 1st Generation Econolines. Yours, as a 63 meaning an early.
    I need to get going here and so cant go into it for a long post right now, and will come back tomorrow and get into some real details, as to frame thickness, mounts and more.
    Basically for yours right now, the earlies had NO REAL ENGINE CROSS MEMBER that ran under the engine from one frame rail to the other frame rail. Yours as an early will only have two "SHEET METAL ENGINE HANGERS" with one only frame mount for each arm inboard on the frame, for a total of two. The engine hangers cantilever inwards from a single bolt by the back of the front wheel well to these single inboard frame mounts. For any sizeable engine horsepower, you will need the late model full engine cross member as it ties the frame rails together as well as transfers the engines torque to it and not the frame. Torquing the frame will cause it to fatigue and eventually crack, and if a 62 or 61 will crack if for sure.
    The towers on your 240 cross member dont fit exactly correct and so I remove them and construct new ones in a jig fixture that sets the drive line angle correctly as well as the engine height. Your truck as an early will NOT HAVE A HUMP in the back of the doghouse like the lates do for bellhousing clearance, so placement is a little bit more comprimised but still will go in just fine.
    The main concern is to NOT place the engine so far forward as to make the front of the oil pan hit the tie rod on the front axle, especially with no hump in the back of the doghouse. Not to fret,, I do them all the time. You will have to add outboard frame mounts for the V8 cross member, but is not a big deal either,, you just need to know where and how to mount them. The sides of the frame rails are tapered and not square, so you CANNOT use a piece of angle iron as some would advise,,, its easyt to fab them up in place so that they sit correctly,,,,
    The other issue is that as an EARLY you have a single hole in the frame for what is called a donout mount for your transmission... I make a special cross member for the transmissions for the earlies like yours so that you can use your existing under the transmission mount as I expect you will have also the AOD transmission (non computor). No big deal, I make them and use them all the time,,,,,,
    I also make the automatic steering columns for yours as well as a shift rod to shift cable conversion that also gets rid of those issues....
    There is MUCH MORE to talk about, in regards to the radiator, electric fans versus mechanical fans or both, bigger alternators that will be needed, trans cooling systems and for sure a 9" rear axle as you will twist yours if you dont have one already??? There is a LOT more for me to say,,, but gotta go and take care of my Mom for the night,, will post you a ton of pictures tomorrow.
    Throttle cable setups, shrouds and fans, CFM's, Disc brakes,, rear axles and ratioos,,,
    vic,, running late,,,

Old Skool Econoline Engineering

Post by Guest Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:24 pm

Thank you very much Old Skool I look forward to learning all I can.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 12:32 pm