VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Front Brake Drums

Front Brake Drums Empty Front Brake Drums

Post by Guest Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:36 pm

Anyone know if any other brake drums will work on a 1961 econoline? I finally began working on it after having it sit for 6-7 months after buying it, I've rebuilt most of the front except for the front brake drums which I can't find and was just wondering if drums from another Ford product would interchange. Thanks for your help.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Front Brake Drums Empty Re: Front Brake Drums

Post by RodStRace Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:26 pm

I'm not a Ford guy, but here's what my google-fu came up with...

Here's a list of resources that might have them
    http://earlyeconolineresources.blogspot.com/

Here's a listing
    C6TZ-1102-A Front Brake Drum - E100 With 10" X 2-1/2" Brakes
    http://macsautoparts.com/ford-econoline-front-brake-drum-e100-with-10quot-x-2-1-2quot-brakes-c6tz-1102-a/camid/ECO/cp/JS0R3CHL1104360/
    Randall711
    Randall711

Number of posts : 63
    Registration date : 2013-07-29

Post by Randall711 Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:07 pm

Recently when I had gone to napa I asked about availability of brake parts and they said to me that I can get everything and get it within a day.. Try them as well if you haven't already.
    66ThunderVan
    66ThunderVan

Number of posts : 384
    Registration date : 2012-01-08

Post by 66ThunderVan Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:14 am

The 61 came with small brakes. The heavy duty vans came with 10 by 2.5 brakes that you can get from NAPA. You will need to find and change the backing plates to match the bigger brakes. I always change over to the big brakes. You can probably cross the small brakes with with the 60's and 70's mustang and falcon. I'm not sure but IIRC the small brakes are 10 by 1.75.
    Vannin Ken
    Vannin Ken

Number of posts : 292
    Registration date : 2012-12-29

Post by Vannin Ken Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:46 pm

Joblot Automotive in NY has a lot of Econoline parts. Talk to James... Ken
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:19 am

This is Old Skool,, and also have many parts as well as make them,, LOL.......   Some very important issues here that everyone needs to understand and have been posting for years about. VERY IMPORTANT.
     I used to own an automotive machine shop and so dont want to hear the wives tail comments from some who may want to..... this is the truth and again,, very important.
    The front drums on our trucks are replaceable, but you need to know the correct way to do it or risk or you WILL ruin your front hub.  VERY IMPORTANT,,,
     They are assembled as a unit, using the studs as rivets to hold the two together as a unit and not move. If the hub is not perfectly true or any thing not exactly perfect it makes no difference, because it is an assembled unit that cannot change and when you turn the drum for the first time it makes everything perfect and true. In order to make a unit, the upper part of the OEM studs protruded slightly higher than the drum surface. It is the part with no threads on it, and it is then squashed into the drum like a rivet does. Actually EXPANDING THAT AREA and squashing it all together. IF you do not cut this expanded material away before you push the old studs out of the hub, you WILL inlarge the holes in the hubs...  GUARANTEED
    When I had my shop, I could not count how many axle bearings and drums I replaced. So, I had an assortment of special carbide tipped cutters of all the stud sizes. From big trucks down to any size stud there was. That was when disc brakes were still a want to.  
    SO my point on this is, MOST machine shops today, unless an old timer like me,  dont even know what we are talking about and consider it not important and an "old wives tale"  ITS NOT.
    With my disc brakes I include a new hub,, and I have a box of them litterally here with the usual tack welded in studs, and hubs that I cannot get a larger enough over sized stud to fix it.
     Included are some pics of how to cut them. If you cannot find some one to cut them, (I ordered them and use them here),,,,  you can use a 5/8 hole saw to cut them yourself.  Here are some pics.
     That is a common trick to increase the rear brake size, and highly sought after by the Mustang groups. MEANING,,,,  GOOD LUCK in finding a set. There is a Towncar that has the deeper backing plates and the drums are easy to get, with also a finned version that I get once in awhile for the 9"
    rear axle. Centric makes all three drums and easy to get. The small brakes are 2" shoes.
    The 1st year that a HD version was in 1963 with the 9" rear axle. The 9" for ours with 2.5 inch shoes as standard.

Will try to get back to this post later on,,, as late to work on Econo parts,, LOL...
    vic

Front Brake Drums 100_1016

Front Brake Drums Pictur10

Front Brake Drums 100_1017

Front Brake Drums Expand10

Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:38 pm

I JUST PULLED off a brand new set of FINNED front drum brakes from one of the trucks I am parting out. Whoever did this brake job went full tilt boogey.

EVERYTHING IS BRAND NEW

Spring and hdw kits, new wheel cylinders, new brake linings, new brake lines and NEW finned drums.

I miced the drums and they are at ZERO,,,,, .000 with my brake drum micrometer

SO,, for sale, complete brand new finned front drums and backing plates, bearings new brake hoses, new springs and hdw and new wheel cylinders. The drums are staked with new hubs also...
    $175
    Please, Pm if interested.
    Vic

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 12:10 am