VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

turn signal switch

turn signal switch Empty turn signal switch

Post by Guest Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:54 am

finding a turn signal switch for my 65 falcon station bus has become a issue. i'm hoping some body knows were to find one a part number what other switch interchanges. so for every search as been a dead end.( help needed ) thanks
    Casimier
    Casimier

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-07-26

turn signal switch Empty Re: turn signal switch

Post by Casimier Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:19 pm

post your request in the parts wanted section.
    someone may have an extra one.

I have an extra but I don't know how good it is.
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:21 pm

When I rebuild the columns I find that most everyone likes the idea of converting over to use the 67 type E flasher type turn signal assemblies. You can also install a replacement turn cancelling cam on your turn assembly also. WORD OF CAUTION if you do. Most of the broken assemblies I get here are because some tried to just pull the horn contact ring off of the three plastic supports and they break them. When and IF you do that in order to install the new cancelling cam,, push the contact ring off the support using a pair of pliers and or a screw driver to PUSH it off the support. That way it puts the force upwards off of the plastic pillar support and does not break it.
    The 67 turn assemblies are 8 wire and so are the 68 to 74 GENII turn assemblies and will install directly, only modifiing the plug in ends in order to plug into the GENI's,,, only mods to your column are that you need to mill a slot in the side for the red button and CAREFULLY enlarge the hole for the turn lever to go through. It enlarges all the way out to the edge and you can botch it if you go too far.
    I use the new one, and turn it inside the bowl to mark it exactly. Also to use the 67 Eflasher type, you need to ADD a new horn contact onto the underside of your steering wheel. I have those in stock also. SHE-MAR makes and sells both the replacement turn cams as well as the GENII turn assembly. They normally run about $120. I can repair your existing turn assembly as long as the three support pillars are not broken. If you do it yourself, which is very easy,, BE CAREFUL also as there are sliding contacts inside that can only go in one direction and be carefull to keep them in the correct direction and not drop them on the floor.......... happens many times,, LOL..
    vic

Post by Guest Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:54 pm

Thanks, Vic that's what i'll do if i can't find a new one. sounds like a easy fix anyway. don't know why the 65 switch is so hard to find i know they put them suckers in more than just the e-vans. thanks a lot bro.

Post by Guest Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:33 pm

well i got that sucker working again. changed out the cam on the switch and a little repair to the little slid dohickys on the switch them sucker are the heck to get back in right when you take them apart. any way thanks for the help Vic and your right just a bunch of old wore out over forty year old plastic crap in there. joe
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:41 pm

NO one makes them anymore,, just another reason why I suggest converting over to the 67 E flashers at the same time I rebuild the columns. Glad I was able to give you some tips BEFORE you took it apart,,, LOL>,,,, practice does help.............
    Vic,,,
    uante
    uante

Number of posts : 1466
    Registration date : 2014-01-26

Post by uante Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:10 pm

I took the column apart how you instructed Old Skool, didn't have any problems. Once inside though noticed that the pot-metal base was broken in two spots and the pinkish plastic part (signal cam I assume it's called) had several breaks in it.

Couldn't figure how to remove the broken pink one off and since the new one isn't the same exactly, not sure if it will even work. Any suggestions?

turn signal switch Broken10

Broken base.

turn signal switch 20140913

Broken Cam

turn signal switch 20140914

Center cam pivot point...

turn signal switch 20140915

New cam. Not quite the same as original.
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:11 pm

That's the first one I have seen like that one,,,,,, actually that metal bar is better as it pushes down on the outside area better.  Sounds like you just may need a whole new used one, as even if you get yours apart,,  the post is different than the normal ones,,,,,,,, ON TOP OF,,  also a broken base....
       See if you can get a used one from someone,,, I have some here, but shipping is a pain in the ass and takes too much time.  I never charge for shipping but it really stacks up on me and takes me away from working and making any  money,, so I try to avoid it like the plague,,,,
      If you cannot find one I will send you one,, but then again,, I guess I would or should also rebuild it for you..;.   dratzzz,,,,,  already WAY behind on orders,,,,,,,, 
    vic

MUCH BETTER if you pm me

vlafountaine@socal.rr.com

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 4:39 am