VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

can i get away with these 15x8" wheels?

tody
    tody

Number of posts : 91
    Registration date : 2010-09-15

can i get away with these 15x8" wheels? Empty can i get away with these 15x8" wheels?

Post by tody Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:45 am

i had a set of spare ET wheels which i planned using on my van.
    they are 15x8" with roughly 3 3/4" backspacing.

as one wheel had peeling chrome, i scored two separate wheels on ebay - and discovered they have even less backspacing, about 3 1/4"!

while i love the deep dish, i'm not sure if they stick out too wide. here's how the current wheels sit, 205/60/15 tires on an old mustang rim:
    can i get away with these 15x8" wheels? IMG_2017

here's the wheels i want to use on the back:
    can i get away with these 15x8" wheels? IMG_2014

two shots from above / behind:
    can i get away with these 15x8" wheels? IMG_2015
    can i get away with these 15x8" wheels? IMG_2016

what do you think - will i get away with these?
    i will rebuild the leaf springs, or buy new ones if i have to, just to raise the rear.

judging from the first picture - how sagged is the rear of the van?
    and has anybody first hand experience with rolling the fender lips a little?
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

can i get away with these 15x8" wheels? Empty Re: can i get away with these 15x8" wheels?

Post by Joe Van Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:55 am

I have 15x10 on the rear of mine with stock springs but fords have a different rear wheel well opening the 15x8 will work and look good but you might have to add a leaf spring witch should be under $50 bucks for the kit and raise the rear about 1-1/2 or there is always air shocks?? I personally would not bend or cut the wheel well lip once you bend it it will never be right again. My rims stick out past the wheel wells 2-1/4 inches in the rear and I like the look and does not rub at all.Smile..JOE..

Last edited by JOE VAN on Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:51 am; edited 1 time in total
    tody
    tody

Number of posts : 91
    Registration date : 2010-09-15

can i get away with these 15x8" wheels? Empty Re: can i get away with these 15x8" wheels?

Post by tody Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:26 pm

thanks, joe. i should have mentioned that the van resides in germany where it has to pass inspection regularly. no sticking out tires. illegal, unfortunately Wink
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:01 pm

The 15 x 10 rims will fit in there. That is the biggest you can go with out moving the springs inward to the frame as well as on the axel, as I've have heard from other members in here. It will be a tight fit with stock spring location. as for fender rolling....if your going to do this I would suggest welding in a piece of 3/8 or 1/2 inch round bar into the lip and then roll that lip over the round bar. This way you will keep some strength in the fender edge and make it look neater and more professional as well.
    mikeysly
    mikeysly

Number of posts : 284
    Registration date : 2012-05-29

Post by mikeysly Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:33 am

Freund! you lucky! don't get enough Kolsch around here! (sorry, don't think i have an umlaught on my phone)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:12 am