VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
flyinlow
12speedfurd
6 posters

just bent my front axle tie rod..... can it be straightened?

12speedfurd
    12speedfurd

Number of posts : 35
    Registration date : 2012-08-23

just bent my front axle tie rod..... can it be straightened? Empty just bent my front axle tie rod..... can it be straightened?

Post by 12speedfurd Sun May 12, 2013 9:27 pm

well I just made a stupid mistake....jacking up my pickup in the dark, the jack slipped off the axle and bent the tie rod Embarassed Crying or Very sad . What now? can it be straightened? argh...
    Kurt
    flyinlow
    flyinlow

Number of posts : 42
    Registration date : 2013-01-04

just bent my front axle tie rod..... can it be straightened? Empty Re: just bent my front axle tie rod..... can it be straightened?

Post by flyinlow Mon May 13, 2013 3:41 am

If It is just bent and not kinked it can be straightened
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Number of posts : 1868
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

just bent my front axle tie rod..... can it be straightened? Empty Re: just bent my front axle tie rod..... can it be straightened?

Post by HandiVanMan Mon May 13, 2013 5:34 am

You can probably buy another tie rod cheaper than it will cost you to get it straightened. You can probably get it straightened but if it is not perfectly straight your front end will not be in perfect alignment and will wear out your tires.
    12speedfurd
    12speedfurd

Post by 12speedfurd Mon May 13, 2013 5:58 am

Looking around I haven't seen any for sale...Anyone have an extra one they want to sell me?
    66ThunderVan
    66ThunderVan

Number of posts : 384
    Registration date : 2012-01-08

Post by 66ThunderVan Tue May 14, 2013 4:25 am

Don't feel bad, BTDT. Just bend it back with a 2x4 and a piece of chain by prying off the axle with the chain on the tie rod. If that doesn't get it real straight you might get it aligned or do it yourself. I just give it 1/8 inch of toe in and let it go. Just make sure it is not toed out as this will cause the steering to pull and will scrub the edges of your tires off.
    NoBiggie
    NoBiggie

Number of posts : 726
    Registration date : 2012-09-26

Post by NoBiggie Tue May 14, 2013 8:22 am

Here is the one I just bought and installed with new Moog tie rod ends. Very nice, seems heavier duty than the factory bar. Mine was bent pretty bad too.

Tie Rod Sleeve
    12speedfurd
    12speedfurd

Post by 12speedfurd Tue May 14, 2013 9:39 am

I got under there and looked closer at it last night and it isn't bent very bad, just bowed a bit. I will see if it takes much to get it straight. If not, EconoUSA said he should have one if I need it.
    Kurt
    12speedfurd
    12speedfurd

Post by 12speedfurd Tue May 14, 2013 9:42 am

NoBiggie wrote:Here is the one I just bought and installed with new Moog tie rod ends. Very nice, seems heavier duty than the factory bar. Mine was bent pretty bad too.

Tie Rod Sleeve

That looks nice, was hoping not to have to spend that much on my stupid mistake....
    Murdock
    Murdock

Number of posts : 313
    Registration date : 2010-12-29

Post by Murdock Tue May 14, 2013 5:35 pm

Mine was bent a little after I reassembled my front end. The alignment shop took care of it for just under $100 including the piece of mind that the alignment is straight. my .02

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:28 am