VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
G-Man
bensbus
RodStRace
Scott
8 posters

Met a guy from the GM design team that worked on the 64 Van

Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Met a guy from the GM design team that worked on the 64 Van Empty Met a guy from the GM design team that worked on the 64 Van

Post by Scott Wed May 01, 2013 8:44 am

While selling my 66 Chevy Van at the Pate Swap Meet last weekend an older gentlemen stopped and stared at it for a few minutes. I asked if he had ever driven one but he couldn't remember. He said he worked for GM and was on the design team that built the 64. He told me they were presented with a Ford Van and basically told to copy it, then he added that back then they could never figure-out how to hide the door hinges.

He looked it over again and moved on..
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Met a guy from the GM design team that worked on the 64 Van Empty Re: Met a guy from the GM design team that worked on the 64 Van

Post by RodStRace Wed May 01, 2013 10:11 am

Man, that is someone you should try to contact again and record his stories!
    The people involved with our old stuff are a wealth of info, and the stuff they know is being lost to time. Best to document as much as we can while it's still available.

As far as the hinges, I have a feeling it wasn't a lack of ability as much as 1. cost and 2. complexity.
    All the manufacturers had hidden the hinges on cars by the 50s. They didn't open a full 180, but it can be done. Also, mass produced commercial vehicles have to be cheap and simple to design, tool and produce to compete with others. This was probably the main factor.
    To provide an example, here is a link to a 1964 side loader hearse. Same era, from a coachbuilder who was able to design, tool and make a side door swing back almost 180 with pocket hinges and a HUGE amount of weight.
    http://www.autabuy.com/Photos/492209_246618312_Original.jpg
    Complexity isn't just the designer sitting for 2 weeks to design the hinge. It's also the tooling and the guys at the factory who have to slap it together. I'd imagine that our simple exterior hinges would take a fraction of time to install and adjust compared to the hearse hinges shown.
    bensbus
    bensbus

Number of posts : 171
    Registration date : 2012-09-23

Met a guy from the GM design team that worked on the 64 Van Empty Corvair Vans had hidden hinges...

Post by bensbus Wed May 01, 2013 10:39 am

GM sure as rain knew how to do it- all 1961-1965 Corvair vans and trucks had hidden hinges on the front doors. Side and rear door hinges were exposed, but front door hinges were internal.

This is another situation where cost overwhelms design. The Corvair vans were way ahead of their time, overengineered, and costly to the giant auto maker. The '64 Chevy/GMC vans were built on a Chevy II platform with known parts and were more rudimentary in order to cut costs.

I would love to chat with that gentleman as well! In the Corvair cirles we have much of the history from a supervisor at the plants.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Met a guy from the GM design team that worked on the 64 Van Empty Re: Met a guy from the GM design team that worked on the 64 Van

Post by G-Man Wed May 01, 2013 10:52 am

Talked to a old GM engineer once and asked about the two vans. On there side door they have better mech to hold the door open where we just have straps. He said corvair was design by car people and the G van was designed by truck people. We have to remember we are doing things that GM never thought of for these bread boxes. Made for the most part as work trucks and to keep up with Fords Econoline
    neondv8
    neondv8

Number of posts : 278
    Registration date : 2012-04-04

Post by neondv8 Wed May 01, 2013 4:15 pm

Cool story and info. I love that stuff !
    bensbus
    bensbus

Number of posts : 171
    Registration date : 2012-09-23

Post by bensbus Thu May 02, 2013 8:37 am

G-Man wrote:He said corvair was design by car people and the G van was designed by truck people. We have to remember we are doing things that GM never thought of for these bread boxes. Made for the most part as work trucks and to keep up with Fords Econoline

This makes a ton of sense. The vans do have a lot of car qualities to them. They ride like Cadillacs. From the start, the Greenbriers were called "Sportwagons."

Mine is also registered as a "station wagon." Are the other '60s window vans also registered as such?
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Number of posts : 1868
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

Post by HandiVanMan Thu May 02, 2013 9:21 am

My 69 Gmc & Chevrolet vans are registered as a van here in Georgia.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Thu May 02, 2013 11:23 am

Every state is different there in MI my 2005 work van is reg as a station Wagon
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by Scott Thu May 02, 2013 5:38 pm

The Texas DMV registered my van as a truck since it was a cargo van with no back seats. If it had seats then it would be registered same as a car.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu May 02, 2013 6:08 pm

Good Ol Texas =I bought an pld school Bus & removed the seats . registered as a truck too!! was much cheaper registering that way over an school bus or an RV!! Made it into an RV anyways!! Good old Texas -saved me a bundle on lisence fees!!= cheers
    Jay 13
    Jay 13

Number of posts : 155
    Registration date : 2011-02-01

Post by Jay 13 Fri May 03, 2013 4:01 am

I think it goes by GVW because when I lived in New Jersey my 68 was a station wagon and my 78 was a van but who knows the DMV has their own rules that seem to change all the time

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 28, 2024 3:57 pm