VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
Wheelie
Gothboy
RodStRace
Darth Garfunkel
8 posters

water in doors

Darth Garfunkel
    Darth Garfunkel

Number of posts : 20
    Registration date : 2012-06-28

water in doors Empty water in doors

Post by Darth Garfunkel Wed May 01, 2013 7:53 am

Anyone ever get water in their doors? Whenever it rains or snows I get a little puddle in the side doors and the back doors. I can't find any leak since there's never a drip or any trail of water coming from anywhere. Just a puddle inside the door. I replaced all of the weather-strip and made sure there was seam sealer around the hinges. No dice. Driving me nuts!
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

water in doors Empty Re: water in doors

Post by RodStRace Wed May 01, 2013 9:57 am

Considering that the doors have only a couple holes that would allow water to migrate inside, I'd start the search there.
    Are the door handle and lock holes sealed? Water can still go along the handle shaft inside, but that's pretty small.
    The main ones I'd look at are the latch holes on the top of the door. Water can easily collect along the top of the door and seal, all running into the latch. Make sure the seal IS sealing around the area. There are various ways to check this, including puttin a strip of paper across the seal then closing the door and checking for resistance, blowing baby powder at the closed door seals with someone inside checking for powder inside, and of course using a hose to check for leaks.
    Gothboy
    Gothboy

Number of posts : 714
    Registration date : 2012-07-02

Post by Gothboy Wed May 01, 2013 2:53 pm

Another thing is the pop out holes at the tops of the doors. Your new rubber might not be completely sealing them off.
    Wheelie
    Wheelie

Number of posts : 322
    Registration date : 2013-02-22

Post by Wheelie Sat May 04, 2013 5:55 am

Get a buddy to spray the doors with a water hose while your inside.
    Darth Garfunkel
    Darth Garfunkel

Number of posts : 20
    Registration date : 2012-06-28

Post by Darth Garfunkel Sat May 11, 2013 8:56 am

It looks like when the van was repainted the seam sealer around the hinges had some small gaps. I could barely see them but that was enough. Silicone did the trick though after paying for a paint job I would have hoped it wasn't neccessary.

The front doors also let water in around the weather stripping and it tends to pool in the seams. I guess that is to be expected. Anyone ever seal up the seams int the bottom of the door better so water that does get in isn't pooling on metal? I was thinking about spraying rubberized paint in there. Somone else mentioned drilling additional drain holes.
    a66dave
    a66dave

Number of posts : 67
    Registration date : 2008-09-19

water in doors Empty water in doors

Post by a66dave Mon May 20, 2013 9:53 am

I am frustrated with the same issue. The small gap between the outer door skin and the lower door jam is a great collection point. Currently working to remove the rust scale, treating the area with a rust inhibitor and then painting. The plan is to fill the gap along the entire area with seam sealer. The goal is to prevent the water from pooling and instead run towards the drains in the bottom of the doors.
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Mon May 20, 2013 5:01 pm

I'd be cautious about filling a low point seam with a filler. It may just end up helping hold water against the metal and not let it dry out at all. I have an issue with an 05 Dodge PU on the rear wheel wells, thought it was dirt hanging in there. No , it is a seam filler doing the nasty stuff holding the moisture. The rust inhibitor and a coat of good paint with the drain holes would seem to be a better route to me.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Mon May 20, 2013 6:10 pm

dont know about dodges?? yet i know gm's & fords do have some small factory areas for water drainage when built! Over time they do get stopped up from trash, dirt & stuff that gets down in the doors .
    a66dave
    a66dave

Number of posts : 67
    Registration date : 2008-09-19

Post by a66dave Wed May 22, 2013 10:03 am

Living in the pacific northwest, rain and moisture is a way of life 7 months of the year ( Ok, it's more like 10). I just don't want to clean everything up, panel the van and have moisture at play in areas not visible. Perhaps silicone would be a better choice. I am only planning on filling the small gap along the door skin at the bottom sill. I figured any water that got in the door, would have a better chance of then draining out the provided drain holes. I have completed the rust inhibitor and paint steps on 2 doors. Still finding small traces of water collecting in the gap. The water does run to the drains, but only after the door gap has filled completely with water. I know I have work to do to seal around hinges and the doors need new outer seals.
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Wed May 22, 2013 8:30 pm

I posted this once before...I had a van that someone put silicone around the top of the windshield to seal a leaky window gasket. I had to hit the brakes hard one day and the windshield almost came out of its rubber seal. I later found that where the silicone was, there was no metal left under it. The frame at the top was rusted so bad, the van had to be parked. Silicone eats metal. I have heard this from other auto guys as well. Food for thought. Maybe use some por 15 instead or something like that.
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Thu May 23, 2013 3:30 am

This is what I have been told on silicone. Silicone releases Acetic acid when it cures, It is corrosive, I have used to to seal an electric conduit/panel once and it rusted a lot of the terminals and screws in it. Out in the open it may be ok but in an enclosed area I think not so much.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 12:03 pm