VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
rebar
RodStRace
G-Man
7 posters

doors can you swap

doors  can you swap Empty doors can you swap

Post by Guest Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:11 am

are side and back doors interchangeable
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

doors  can you swap Empty Re: doors can you swap

Post by G-Man Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:33 am

pretty sure they are interchangeable
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:40 am

They are, but there are some small differences.

Rear doors have letters on the outside. Each has 2 holes for the attaching pins.
    Side doors have both inside handles so you can get out from inside. Rear doors have only the second handle so you open the first from the outside, then reach in and open the second. The latch with the inside handle stud is a booger to remove and install!!!
    The side door also has the lock button (part of the latch) and hole for it (the inner door structure), so it can be locked/unlocked from inside.
    That's what I've found and what others here have confirmed.

Post by Guest Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:31 am

thanks rod i want the rear doors to have windows not the side
    rebar
    rebar

Number of posts : 151
    Registration date : 2012-10-31

Post by rebar Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:41 pm

If you do swap the doors, it might be worth keeping in mind that there is a very good reason that the factory mounted rear doors that could not be opened from the inside.
    Gothboy
    Gothboy

Number of posts : 714
    Registration date : 2012-07-02

Post by Gothboy Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:34 pm

^^^ Please enlighten us my friend. Ive been thinking I want both rear and side cargo doors to be able to be opened from the inside, and I'd probably find that information very useful before i make a mistake in the line of safety.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8732
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:13 am

If you were driving down the road let's say with young one's and they were playing around and opened the side door handle from the inside the wind would help keep it closed. if the sice doors were on the back the kids or dog could open the door and fall out. But if you had a bed in the back and you were camping you could open it and climb out opposed to climbing over your gear or partner,

Number of posts : 160
    Registration date : 2010-06-02

Post by Scotts_A100 Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:48 pm

I found this topic of interest but I had to go out and take a couple pictures before replying to ensure that I had my facts straight.

I personally had chosen to use a set of back doors I picked up as my new side doors but did not notice an obvious difference between the front and back doors from a latch stand point other than a missing hole for the lock button. To show what I have found I've attached a few pictures.

This first picture shows the outside of doors with the original side doors on the ground next to the "new" side doors which were back doors. The blue glaze on the mounted side door on the right is over the weld filled holes for the letters that use to be there. No other visual differences.
    doors  can you swap A100_d10

This second picture shows the inside of the doors. I did transfer a pop-out window latch area from the original to the "new" doors as the replacement were not set up for windows, this may be due to the "new" doors were from an earlier A100 or because they came off a panel van.
    doors  can you swap A100_d11

This third picture shows the hole in the original side door for the lock button.
    doors  can you swap A100_d12

This final picture shows the "new" door without the hole for the lock button as I have not drilled it out as yet.
    doors  can you swap A100_d13

As far as the layout of the inside of the doors there are no differences and there are not two handles on the outside of either the back or side doors. The bottom line in my opinion is that I saw little to no difference between the back and side doors that they could not easily be interchanged. Sure there are a few holes that need to be welded or drilled but other than that they are an easy swap. That's my two cents and also my approach. Scott...

Post by Guest Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:29 pm

thanks guys scott the pictures were very helpful.Dix my children are all over 18.The wife wanted a van to relive our youth thats why i have 5 children now a van back when we were younger Guess we have to make our own grandkids now
    Gothboy
    Gothboy

Number of posts : 714
    Registration date : 2012-07-02

Post by Gothboy Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:51 am

Awesome info! Thanks for the pix too! Smile
    69 a 100
    69 a 100

Number of posts : 142
    Registration date : 2009-01-03

Post by 69 a 100 Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:21 pm

i don't know if the later years were any different but my 69 the rear doors were drilled for the windows all ready. all I had to do was take the hinge out and put the window in the back. I will let you know that with the rear door windows open it sucks the exhaust inside the van depending on where your exhaust exits.
    Scotts_A100

Number of posts : 160
    Registration date : 2010-06-02

Post by Scotts_A100 Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:26 pm

I agree, my original doors also were drilled for the windows even the back that came with the fixed glass in the back doors. The "new" doors pictured and used above were off a 67 or 68 van and they were not set up for the pop-out windows so I had to transfer them from my original to the "new" doors.

This is what the original "new" door looked like before tranfering the latch area from my '69 door latch area to it. You can see the difference. Scott...

Before:
    doors  can you swap A100_210

After (Before all cleaned up):
    doors  can you swap A100_211

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 9:40 am