VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+11
rebar
ndjarrett
dix
austinmodhouse
RodStRace
Gothboy
blackace
wylee
pittsdriver
61econoline
Lyrad
15 posters

What inspired you to get into early vans?

Lyrad
    Lyrad

Number of posts : 277
    Registration date : 2011-01-20

What inspired you to get into early vans? Empty What inspired you to get into early vans?

Post by Lyrad Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:01 pm

I came across this photo many years ago and knew i found my passion after carefully checking it out.

Now have carried this little clipping from a magazine around a long time, I even lost it a couple times, and ever time I find it I know where the whloe vintage van thing started. Oh Ya Baby.

If anyone has more pics or information on this little gem please let me know. My picture is done wore out.

Sooo what inspired you guys?

What inspired you to get into early vans? 00911
    61econoline
    61econoline

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2009-04-16

What inspired you to get into early vans? Empty Re: What inspired you to get into early vans?

Post by 61econoline Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:26 pm

We moved from florida to pa when I was 13 in a 64 econoline I learned how to drive a three on the tree in the driveway been into them ever since.
    pittsdriver
    pittsdriver

Number of posts : 335
    Registration date : 2010-08-12

What inspired you to get into early vans? Empty Re: What inspired you to get into early vans?

Post by pittsdriver Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:05 pm

I bought a new 69 A100 when I was a senior in high school. I drove it up and down the coast and down to Mexico surfing. Had it a couple of years and did a custom paint job on it. Don
    wylee
    wylee

Number of posts : 917
    Registration date : 2009-04-03

Post by wylee Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:25 am

when i was 17, buying my 1st car off my uncle( he was a back yard mac. always had cars for sale.) at that time he had 2. a dodge a100 van n a mustang. van had shag carpet n such, but that stang had a 4 speed lol. i took the stang. but never stoped thinknig about the van. as years went by, i knew people with vans, partied in them and stuff. many many years later i able to put one in my group of cars. funny how something sticks with ya....
    blackace
    blackace

Number of posts : 450
    Registration date : 2010-09-16

Post by blackace Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:00 am

My grandparents on my dad's side had a 56 covair pickup with the side gate and ultimately traded it in for the 68 Dodge that I have. I can remember riding on the engine cover with dad and gramdpa and thought it was so cool. I was also talken to hospital in the old dodge when I bit through my bottom lip.(yea doing things that I was not allowed to do). Have loved the old truck since my early childhood and never dreamed that I would end up with it.
    Gothboy
    Gothboy

Number of posts : 714
    Registration date : 2012-07-02

Post by Gothboy Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:12 am

Out of highschool and working for a guy, he gave me a choice of two vehicles I could have that he was getting rid of. an 88 mazda minitruck or a 69 A108 panel van. The van was trash but Ive never been one for new cars, so I took the van. Everyone thought I was crazy. I drove it's wheels off. Then others drove with me in it, and understood why I loved it so much. Since it was junk it didnt live long, but ive wanted another one since then... Almost 20 years.

That van had bad body rust, frame tweaked, suspension shot, wiring done by two blind guys...Seriously, there was a series of things you had to do to start it because of the wiring, and one of them was turn on a house light switch hanging under the dash with bare house wires! Somehow even thru all this....I was still sold! Smile

RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:25 am

First car was a 68 Chevy 108.
    It needed a lot more than I could give it at the time and have wanted another over the years.
    When we decided to move out of CA, the best thing for moving plants was a van. So that one became my second. I've got a lot more now!

They are simple, solid, fun, cheap, and useful.
    austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Number of posts : 575
    Registration date : 2010-07-30

Post by austinmodhouse Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:48 am

I was at a red light in santa cruz. this crazy silver looking window van with round tail lights pulled forward in the lane next to me. I came home and searched ebay listings until I was able to figure out it was an early ford econoline (falcon) van. later I saw vintage pics of the O’neil surf shop van back in 1964, also used a falcon van to haul boards. I lived up the street from O’neil (the person and his original surf shop). I started to keep my eye on craigslist till I found TWO (buy both or none sort of deal).
    What inspired you to get into early vans? Ecovan1
    one had a 289 that was rigged to run of LP or gas, I sold that one right away.
    What inspired you to get into early vans? Ecovan7

the one I kept was practical for hauling, I used it to bring home a vintage r75/6 bmw MC I bought, used it to transport a vintage porsche 911 engine to fwdair for shipping when I sold it…
    What inspired you to get into early vans? Kday1e

it was fun driving that over the santa cruz mountains, I'd take back roads b/c I didn’t want to drive it on HWY 17 (fast and dangerous). it was a great window to take in the scenery and just enjoy the drive. if I had to get on the highway, and I slowed down traffic to my 55-60 mph, somebody would surely honk and give me the bird. I’d just wave and smile. but I got as many thumbs up as I did middle fingers. I liked it for me, didn’t care what other people thought. it’s not a vehicle for going fast. slow and steady wins the vintage van marathon. pic below is when I picked my daughter up from her first day of school and we drove along the coast. she’s about to start high school now….
    What inspired you to get into early vans? Kday1d

I sold it when we moved to austin. I’d only paid $500 for it and it was gonna cost $1k to ship. it’s not so often to find a decent $500 vintage van any more. that one had a 300ci engine w/ all the clifford stuff, intake, headers, even gas pedal. it also had a 9” rear end… I’m still chasing what I once had.

Last edited by austinmodhouse on Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:30 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : added pics)
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8732
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:37 pm

Ok back in the 72 my brother and I fixed up a 67 chevy van /6 3 speed on the coloumn and he had it in high school and we hauled our dirt bikes to the races in it and this was when vannin was just getting started. thats how I learned to drive. Got a license in 74 and a /6 3speed valiant that was painted black with a roller had it for 2 months . gave it to my younger brother and bought a 73 dodge b200 and owned a van ever since, had a 73,76.87,91,and a 97, at this time the early's were startint to come back, and i bought one in georgia from a soldier going to desert storm. and it was /6 3 speed painted with a roller. Kind of like full circle.40 years of vannin and still hooked to it.......

Number of posts : 357
    Registration date : 2011-05-01

Post by ndjarrett Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:40 pm

Always liked them. Had a huge collection of van magazines before I ever bought my first HotRod magazine.
    rebar
    rebar

Number of posts : 151
    Registration date : 2012-10-31

Post by rebar Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:19 pm

RodStRace wrote: When we decided to move out of CA ...

S-o-o-o... apparently you're married? Assuming the answer is 'yes', for those of us who aren't married, what country/planet can we visit to find a wife who will tolerate us owning two dozen vans?

... just ... wondering.

Very Happy
    rebar
    rebar

Post by rebar Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:44 pm

At 22 years old my motorcycle didn't have enough room to carry my camping gear and my girlfriend so I got a 1967 A108 with a seized engine because I couldn't afford a newer/better one. Paid the original owner $500 in 1973.

Still drivin' it ...

What inspired you to get into early vans? Van_ti12

What inspired you to get into early vans? Van_id13
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8732
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:46 pm

1st you take her to a few van-ins. Ishe enjoys that then she will be hooked...
    rebar
    rebar

Post by rebar Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:53 pm

dix wrote:1st you take her to a few van-ins. Ishe enjoys that then she will be hooked...

Very Happy
    rebar
    rebar

Post by rebar Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:56 pm

austinmodhouse wrote:... I used it to bring home a vintage r75/6 bmw MC I bought ...

Lived in San Jose for 9 years. Bought my '76 R90/6 from SJ BMW, new.

Still ridin' it ...

What inspired you to get into early vans? Bmw_bl11

Made many a trip over the hill to Santa Cruz on Hwy 17 with the /6 and the 108.

RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:07 pm

rebar wrote:
    RodStRace wrote: When we decided to move out of CA ...

S-o-o-o... apparently you're married? Assuming the answer is 'yes', for those of us who aren't married, what country/planet can we visit to find a wife who will tolerate us owning two dozen vans?

... just ... wondering.

Very Happy

TOLERATE is the right word! Laughing
    It's my money, my hobby.
    She has her money and hobbies. It works for both of us...
    rebar
    rebar

Post by rebar Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:19 pm

Very Happy

Count your blessings ...

Post by Guest Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:29 pm

i was about 16-17 and was stealing parts in scrap yards around MTL (Brady),we were selling parts, the owners didnt liked it at all, they had shotguns, so we had to hide, and i ended up in a old a-100 van, the thing was so cool, i sat in it and imagine driving it, you know the big steering wheel and the split window with the bus feeling,the dog house, i think it was love,

at 18 bought a 1965 a-100 but did shit with it,no knowledge , no money, no space to work, and no help, too much dreaming but did alot of learning by my own, sold it for cheap to get ried of it, it did cost me a fortune in parking tickets in Montreal, police were always looking for me , and no internet to find rare parts,

...then at 44,more mature(well... physicly) we were looking for traveling but not into a big Winnebago, looked at westfalia , but expensive and not reliable, not powerfull,so... one day i came across a picture of me with the a-100 , i decided to go with the /6 ,so i bought one on ebay, came to pick it up in Ohion, came back on its own power( everybody overthere called me crazy with balls) and made it no problem with a worn out engine, that was March 2009,

today, the interior is 95% done and really proud of it,its hard to be alone with that van, it attract so much peoples, they are very rare around here
    What inspired you to get into early vans? Photo_10
    photo taken at a Wall mart in Ohio
    ,,,corrosive

rebar
    rebar

Post by rebar Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:58 pm

2corrosive4u wrote: i was about 16-17 and was stealing parts in scrap yards around MTL (Brady),we were selling parts, the owners didnt liked it at all, they had shotguns, so we had to hide...

Great story Mr corrosive. I think we have a lot more in common than A100 vans.

Very Happy
    Space Truckin
    Space Truckin

Number of posts : 1279
    Registration date : 2009-10-17

Post by Space Truckin Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:35 am

Purchased my first 2nd gen in 1971, it was a 69 Chevy no door w 6cyl and 3 on tree. Swapped the tranny for a th350 in 73 and life was great until the oil embargo hit. When the oil embargo hit put a LPG conversion on with a big pressurized fuel tank in back and drove it till 1979 when I was married. While I was commuting to Maywood Ca(120 miles round trip) in a Renault LeCar, wife at the time was having a difficult time driving the van(worked 3 miles from home???). Finally sold the no door in 1980 and purchased her a 1980 Renault Lecar Black Beauty, have missed it ever SINCE.(the van that is)

Last edited by Space Truckin on Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total
    ALABAMA ANDY
    ALABAMA ANDY

Number of posts : 20
    Registration date : 2013-01-18

Post by ALABAMA ANDY Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:24 pm

After owning several VW campers, the last one I had was shipped over from Texas in 2007.
    It was a 71 Westy.
    What inspired you to get into early vans? 031
    There was something very different about owning a van from the States although it was a German vehicle of course.
    I sold it in late 2007 & was van-less until I found my A108 Sportsman a few months ago.
    It just seemed to fit the bill more than the VW's I've always had before.
    I've always loved the styling or the early Dodge, Ford & Chevy vans but they are so rare over here in England.
    I feel very lucky to have found mine.
    Scooby Doo was quite high up on inspiring me too Very Happy
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:24 pm

OK rod- where can we get a girlfriend or wife that will tolerate any of us owning , rebuilding our cars & vans??? hehe - i know!! Asia-any country- been there done that too -im partial to the philippines- english speaking & love americans still - cause we saved their butts from the japanese in the "BIG WAR"" PS: dont tell the girls here about that!!= affraid cheers

How did I get into earlys???? I was invited @ an early age by a wonderful young girl into the back of one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! bounce
    andrew carter
    andrew carter

Number of posts : 465
    Registration date : 2011-09-04

Post by andrew carter Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:19 pm

twinpilot for me it has to be the thai girls their is none finer although the women in hanoi are a close 2nd
    rebar
    rebar

Post by rebar Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:43 am

Twinpilot001 wrote:How did I get into earlys???? I was invited @ an early age by a wonderful young girl into the back of one!

Very Happy

Mr Twinpilot, this is the best story yet.

Very Happy

Space Truckin
    Space Truckin

Number of posts : 1279
    Registration date : 2009-10-17

Post by Space Truckin Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:07 am

rebar wrote:
    Twinpilot001 wrote:How did I get into earlys???? I was invited @ an early age by a wonderful young girl into the back of one!

Very Happy

Mr Twinpilot, this is the best story yet.

Very Happy

Ditto lol!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 12:37 am