VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

What parts are avaible for early vans

langan
    langan

Number of posts : 51
    Registration date : 2010-05-22

What parts are avaible for early vans Empty What parts are avaible for early vans

Post by langan Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:12 am

Like most old cars some things are hard to get when restoring. I am only interest in body,glass,rubber,patch pannels ect. My plan is to do a resto rod van. Meaning looks stock but with new running gear.
    I resently did a 65 Ranchero and chrome trim was the hard parts for those?
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Number of posts : 1868
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

What parts are avaible for early vans Empty Re: What parts are avaible for early vans

Post by HandiVanMan Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:31 am

There are a few patch panels available on eBay for the 2nd gens but very few. They say that they will fit on a 67-70 2nd gen Chevy or GMC van but the patch patch panels for the left & right rear sides have the place for the side marker & the 1967 models didn't come out with the side marker lights on them. I am sure that they would fit on the 67 model & even the 1st gens but you would have to do some fabrication to delete the side marker spaces. If you get a van that has any kind of rust, or body damage that can't be straightened you might as well count on getting a parts van cause with the limited availability of patch panels you will need one for those patch panels. As for the glass & rubber you can order the rubber online but it is a little costly. There is some threads on the availability of the rubber and the sites to order it somewhere in the G parts wanted & I think the G van general discussion. You can get the windshield replaced at a auto glass shop but they are around $275 & up. The windshields for the 1st gen Chevy & GMC vans are flat glass & you an get a local auto glass shop to cut one or they can probaly order one. None of the chrome trim is available but if you find one with it all there you can get it re chromed. I have seen a few of the NOS Chevy bowtie emblems come up on eBay but very seldom.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

What parts are avaible for early vans Empty Re: What parts are avaible for early vans

Post by RodStRace Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:19 pm

Don't count out mechanical parts either. Sure you may swap out the engine and trans, but are you going to swap out steering, suspension, axles, brakes, cooling?
    Take a look at previous posts and what is available from vintage truck suppliers.
    EXAMPLE
    http://www.vintage-vans.com/chevy_parts_dept.html
    langan
    langan

Post by langan Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:29 pm

Thanks helps a lot. Yes plan on swaping out everything ecept body,glass,lights,door handels
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Number of posts : 1868
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

Post by HandiVanMan Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:38 pm

langan,
    Building one of these vans will be much more different than building a jalopy or resto mod that you are probaly used to building. The front end has a straight drop axel that you will most likely have to keep & use & the rearends are offset by 1 inch on the center so with this you will have to use the rearend that is in it or one out of another van around the same year model if something should be wrong with the rearend in the van you get to build. M1D sells the disk brake conversion kits for the 1st & 2nd gen Chevy & GMC on here. You can find that info in some of the threads on here. As far as I know I have never read anything about anyone doing anything different on the front axel except for people building 4x4's have used the older Chevy blazer front straight axel on them when building their 4x4.
    I would suggest that you do a lot of reading of the posts on hear to kinda get a understanding of how these vans are set up. Good luck on your venture & make sure that you post some pics of what ever you buy & build. We all like to see what is possible in building these vans.
    langan
    langan

Post by langan Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:16 pm

Thanks for the info. I will post whatever i do.
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:54 pm

I don't see where you would run into any issues really, It doesn't look like it'd be your first rodeo. Only thing left on mine original is most of the skin and axles excluding the brakes. Good thing about planning on changing stuff out from the beginning is you can concentrate on a good skin.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:44 pm

Motor stuff easy to get still, some small items are hard to find but still out there. After market goodies can go for some $$$ Example
    https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t26426-chrome-window-vents

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 7:20 pm