VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
scottm
66ThunderVan
HandiVanMan
7 posters

it runs, then it dies

it runs, then it dies Empty it runs, then it dies

Post by Guest Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:42 pm

i mounted the carter RBS carb, it runs, fiddled with it a little bit, got it running good. took it for a ride and it died when i was turning. it happens when i let go off the gas pedal.
    any suggestions on what i need to check?
    (im running short on time to get this van on a daily driver condition.)
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Number of posts : 1868
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

it runs, then it dies Empty Re: it runs, then it dies

Post by HandiVanMan Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:59 pm

Could be a vacuum issue? Spray some carb cleaner around all of the gaskets & vacuum ports & see if it makes it idle any higher. If it does there is a vacuum leak.

Post by Guest Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:04 pm

Thanks. I will do that tomorrow after work.
    66ThunderVan
    66ThunderVan

Number of posts : 384
    Registration date : 2012-01-08

Post by 66ThunderVan Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:55 am

Float adjustment?
    scottm
    scottm

Number of posts : 46
    Registration date : 2011-08-10

Post by scottm Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:34 am

i was having a similar problem, turned out to be a clogged fuel line

Post by Guest Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:34 pm

The fuel line is good. Tried the spray and it did idle a little lower rpms??
    Fiddled a little with the float adjustment and i think i messed it up real good. Runs only when i push the pedal a little in and it rins very rough.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:40 pm

When it dies, look down inside the carb and see if it is all wet with gas down there,,,,,then spray the carb cleaner down, INSIDE the carb when it runs bad, see if that makes the engine run better,,,,,,are the points good and set right?

Post by Guest Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:33 pm

Did not get to try it with the carb cleaner tonite but it sure gets wet down there. The points are set right to the best of my knowledge.
    Found an adjustment data sheet and will set the float back where it was.also noted that this particular RBS carb was used on the ford 250" eng. Does it matter if i have the ford 200?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:20 pm

If it is wet down in the carb, it is flooding,,,,,there are different float settings but they all should be good enough for the engine to idle,,,,,and the float should be level,,,not jacked up or hanging down when the needle is seated,,,,setting is one thing but 2 more things are more important,,,,,does the needle and seat hold or is the float leaking and letting in gas so that it cant float anymore to shut off the gas,,,,,is the float sticking,,,,,how new is the needle and seat? if you bought a carb that was sitting on a shelf for 30 years,,,the rubber is all dried up inside,,,,does the mixture screw work?

Post by Guest Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:45 pm

I think i raised the float too much because it was idling fine, the problem was that the engine died when i was driving shifting from gear to gear. The needle and seat are working fine. Just to meke sure, whats a good way to test if needle and seat are working?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:31 pm

That RBS should have a dashpot on it to keep the throttle plate from closing too fast and MAYBE killing the engine,,,but engine quitting does not sound like a carb problem,,,unless a whole bunch of gas gets dumped down the intake manifold,,,,,if you can smell or see gas,,,,that is a sign that it is flooding out,,,,,the needle and seat are not shutting off the gas when the carb is full and the fuel pump just pumps gas right through the carb instead of letting the carb spray it in,,,,does the mixture work????

Post by Guest Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:29 am

The mixture worked fine before i messsed up the float. Today im going to try and adjust the float to the 15/32" that the data sheet recomends and see what happens.

Post by Guest Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:56 pm

Ok i got it back to where it idles good and stays idling. Took it for ride 'round the block and it keeps dying when i let go of the gas pedal.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:35 pm

Now does it restart easy or act like it is flooding out? Maybe the idle screw or throttle shaft is messed up and when you let up on the gas real fast, it drops down to 300RPM and dies,,,,,,let the gas off slowly,,,,see if it dies,,,,,unhook the vacuum advance and see if maybe the breaker plate is losing its ground when the vacuum stops pulling on the vacuum advance....

Post by Guest Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:44 pm

It starts right away.when i let go of the gas slowly ot stays running

Post by Guest Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:43 pm

If im not running the autolite 1100, do i need to tchange or do something to the distributor? Looking at the pertronix product.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:57 pm

,,,,until you tell me what happens to the mixture and vacuum advance line removal test, I don't know what direction you should be going in,,,,,

Post by Guest Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:07 pm

The mixture is workin, i turn it in and the engine seems to run rough.
    The vacum test i dont know to do it
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:43 pm

Are you following the other Ford Guy, Drew, with his distributor problems? Is your problem still that the engine dies when you let up on the gas? It could be a carb problem or a distributor problem,,,,,now if it starts right up after dying, then we can rule out flooding or running out of fuel,,,,if the carb is worn out, the throttle plate could be dropping the idle down too low for the engine to run,,,or the carb linkage not keeping the idle correct,,,,do you have that famous Load O Matic distributor on your van,,,,,,thats why I said, for a test to see if it keeps dying, unhook and plug the vacuum line going from the vacuum advance to the carb,,,,,,so that the breaker plate and vacuum advance stay put and not affect the timing and see if that stops the dying,,,,,we are looking for clues to determine how to fix the problem......

Post by Guest Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:31 am

Thanks my friend. No im not following Drew. I was reading on the carburetors and found a company that redesigns the autolite 1100. And the information on that page says that it could not be just the carb but the carb/dist combo. Since im not running the OG carb i just asked. im going to try that test. Back at it. And once again. Muchas gracias

Post by Guest Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:20 pm

Ok. I tried it with the vacuum plugged and it runs, doesnt die. But i noticed power loss in 3rd gear
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:42 pm

Then that is a good clue,,,,,you surely need advance for power,,,,but you don't need it at an idle,,,,,The Load O Matic distributor needs a spark valve in the carb to figure out when the van is in 3rd gear and when it is at idle,,,,,if you hook its vacuum line to a NORMAL carb without a spark valve, it will get confused and start changing the timing all over the place,,,,,,so if you have a Load O Matic distributor and a carb without that spark valve on it, that's what probably is causing your problem,,,,you need a matched set,,,,,and that Petronix just replaces the points,,,, that vacuum problem will still be there,,,, but I think they might make electronic ignition kits that do away with all the advance units and do it electronically,,,,

Post by Guest Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:17 pm

I have an autolite 1100 that needs a good cleaning and a kit. The carb guy here charges 120 to rebuild it. Should i invest on it or should i look for an electronic ignition?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:22 pm

What is wrong with the Autolite,,,,,have you driven around with it on,,,,,,,put a repair kit in it and see what happens,,,,,how much money are you willing to spend????

Post by Guest Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:26 pm

I want to make it a daily driver. I want to save as much possible but i am willing to spend what i need on it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 1:49 am