VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

engine oil leaks

dodge man
    dodge man

Number of posts : 2036
    Registration date : 2012-08-08

engine oil leaks Empty engine oil leaks

Post by dodge man Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:28 pm

every time i run my 318 engine for just 5 minutes i get an oil leak between the engine and trany, and its not trany fluid, could it be just the oil pan gasket or do i need to pull the crank and install a new rear main seal? it takes 5 minutes to show up on the floor a couple drops by morning i check it and theres a 12'' circle of oil on the floor, are these 318 none for gaskets or the real seal?
    Stoopid john
    Stoopid john

Number of posts : 265
    Registration date : 2011-06-03

engine oil leaks Empty Re: engine oil leaks

Post by Stoopid john Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:18 pm

Any old engine can leak like that. I've got a 69 vette in the garage now doing the same thing.

You can replace the rear main seal with the engine and crank in the van. Remove the pan and remove the last main cap. Use a pick or wire hanger to push the seal half around the crank.

It's just marking it's territory
    dodge man
    dodge man

Number of posts : 2036
    Registration date : 2012-08-08

Post by dodge man Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:28 am

thanks john, i'll pull the pan this monday, is the rear seal a rope type, i think they make a kit with wire to pull the new one around the crank,i'de rather use a rubber seal, but my luck i'll have to pull the crank, and that means pulling the engine, what i aught to do is like i did in the 60s go to the local gas station and get a 2 gal. can of bulk oil and add when ever needed, lol

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 28, 2024 3:53 pm