VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

fuel guage sending unit help

Drew Peacock
    Drew Peacock

Number of posts : 63
    Registration date : 2012-08-21

fuel guage sending unit help Empty fuel guage sending unit help

Post by Drew Peacock Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:49 pm

I took the sender unit out of the gas tank and shook it and heard rattling. After opening the little box, i found the copper arm that rotates with the float arm and contacts the boxes radius wall had fallen/snapped off. I epoxied it back on the arm and i heard it scraping the radius in the box when i move the float arm but the fuel gauge on the dash doesn't respond and way the arm is positioned. Did i mess something up by epoxying the copper piece back on? Do i need fuel in the tank for it to actually start registering? i put the unit in the tank and checked again and that didn't help anything.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

fuel guage sending unit help Empty Re: fuel guage sending unit help

Post by Twinpilot001 Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:11 pm

[iHeres one of the rebuilders =

http://tristarrradiator.com/
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:23 pm

Drew Peacock
    Drew Peacock

Post by Drew Peacock Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:25 pm

C&G also has them as well, but was hoping i could diagnose or having someone on here help me with a mistake i might have made in my repair and the way im testing my repair. The first link is a good one for me as they are only a few hours away. Thanks for that.
    Mr Hill Billy
    Mr Hill Billy

Number of posts : 213
    Registration date : 2009-12-23

Post by Mr Hill Billy Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:23 pm

the copper arm carries current so it needs to have continuity .Solder repair is best also needs a button on the end to contact the coil inside .
    Drew Peacock
    Drew Peacock

Post by Drew Peacock Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:26 pm

So my epoxy fix was the problem it sounds like - what do you mean by a 'button' on the end? what type of button and at the end of what? When you say coil inside, do you mean the piece that the copper arm scrapes against? I don't recall seeing any coil of the whole sender piece.
    Mr Hill Billy
    Mr Hill Billy

Number of posts : 213
    Registration date : 2009-12-23

Post by Mr Hill Billy Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:26 am

Drew Peacock wrote:So my epoxy fix was the problem it sounds like - what do you mean by a 'button' on the end? what type of button and at the end of what? When you say coil inside, do you mean the piece that the copper arm scrapes against? I don't recall seeing any coil of the whole sender piece.
    button is like a spot of solder at the end of the copper piece that contacts the coil.Yes what i call the coil is the piece the copper arm scrapes against.It also must have contiuity from one end to the other.Also make sure your ground to the sender is good.
    Murdock
    Murdock

Number of posts : 313
    Registration date : 2010-12-29

Post by Murdock Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:36 am

You can also take your sending unit on the bench and test it with a DMM. Clip the ground the the face and the positive to the stud, you should see the resistance change as you move it (I'm guessing in the neighborhood of 0-100 ohms).

You might end up spending more money in time on the old one than replacing it. I went through the same then I found it on page 100 of the Pick Up catalog at Obsolete and Classic Auto Parts or even on Amazon. It was well worth the headache savings to me to just replace it.

I also found that the gasket they send with those do not fit exactly. I ended up ordering this kit from Summit and it worked great.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 1:52 am