VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+5
jrinaman
Digz
HandiVanMan
m1dadio
ScottyJones
9 posters

Engine Knock

ScottyJones
    ScottyJones

Number of posts : 361
    Registration date : 2011-08-17

Engine Knock Empty Engine Knock

Post by ScottyJones Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:01 pm

A knock has slowly become apparent on my motor. I had known about a possible rod knock already, but that only seemed to happen on a cold start up and would disappear right after the motor started up, also sounded different.

This noise sounds like it's coming from lower and is only audible when I am giving it gas… Ive attached a video for some reference. What do you guys think? Am I pretty much screwed?

I removed the spark plug wires one at a time to see if I could isolate the noise to one cylinder, but nothing changed.

m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Engine Knock Empty Re: Engine Knock

Post by m1dadio Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:39 pm

cant see or hear private vidio

m1d
    ScottyJones
    ScottyJones

Post by ScottyJones Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:41 pm

Whoops, try it now
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Number of posts : 1868
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

Post by HandiVanMan Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:46 pm

Scotty,
    That defiantly sounds like a rod knocking to me. You should not drive it anymore till you replace the rod bearings & main bearings. I wouldn't even suggest that you crank it up anymore!
    ScottyJones
    ScottyJones

Post by ScottyJones Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:01 pm

Had a feeling it might be serious. What are my options?

Can I drop the oil pan and change these without dropping the motor, or is it pretty much necessary to drop the motor? At that point do I might as well rebuild the entire motor since it's out? Or buy a fully rebuilt crate motor for $1600?
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:42 pm

You can support the engine from above and drop the motor mount and pan. Then individually change out the rod bearings from below. For starters tho, just Check them one ata time and see what the story is. If the crank is toast then yeah its time for a new or rebuilt engine. You might be okay if it isnt to bad to just slip in some new bearings, but it is only going to buy you some time to come up with a better engine. This is super Po' Boy stuff but you'd only be into it for the bearings pan gasket and an oil change for now. If you have to do machine shop work and replace/rework all the moving parts, that 1600 crate doesnt sound to bad. JM2C
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:48 pm

Just an add on here, normally pulling a plug wire will quiet a rod knock somewhat. If you can do a compression test also might be helpful. I couldnt tell if it had a miss or not from the video.
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Post by HandiVanMan Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:37 pm

I would just pull the engine & do a complete rebuild on it. You can get a complete master rebuild kit from Northern Auto Parts for $305 & it will cost around $300-$400 to get the block cleaned cam bearings installed, cylinders bored & the head re worked. As nice of a van as you have it will be well worth doing a rebuild on the engine! Just what ever you do don't keep running the engine or you will be replacing the whole engine.
    ScottyJones
    ScottyJones

Post by ScottyJones Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:59 pm

If I can manage to save up and get a crate motor that's basically ready to drop in, I may go that route.

If I can convince Don to help me tackle a rebuild, maybe I will try it Wink
    My main hesitation is that I don't have a garage to work in and keep any half assembled parts etc.
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Post by HandiVanMan Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:08 pm

Its hard to diagnose a problem by listening to a video but I think that it's a rod knocking. Maybe if Don can check it out you will get a better opinion on which route to take. You could probaly get by with new rod bearings & main bearings. Which can be replaced with dropping the oil pan. I would want to keep the original engine if possible.

Last edited by HandiVanMan on Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Number of posts : 890
    Registration date : 2011-03-10

Post by jrinaman Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:09 pm

replaced my rods before nats. did it while in van. the crossmember comes out completely and bearings are pretty easy. mine wasnt knocking, it just wouldnt keep oil preasure. if your crank is scored, probably not worth the time. i have heard of people cleaning them up with emery cloth but i never have, or will.
    ScottyJones
    ScottyJones

Post by ScottyJones Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:13 pm

I guess I should check out what's going on in there before I drop a bunch of money, then decide what to do. If everything else looks ok, maybe replacing those bearings will hold me over until I can save up for a new motor...
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:21 pm

Drop the dust cover and make sure the torque convertor bolts aint loose,,,,,there is a van show in El Cajon in 4 weeks,,,,you should be there,,,,,I will come over and check out the van later this week,,,,,,If you need a new engine,,,,probably Autozone. Napa or Oreileys have some,,,,,,or call Ricks machine shop in Santee or other machine shops to see how much they want to rebuild yours,,,,,,I got all the tools and equipment,,,,,we can have that engine out in 2 hours and no one would even know the van is sitting there without an engine in it,,,,,,
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Post by HandiVanMan Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:27 pm

I didn't think about the torque converter bolts possibly being loose. That's a good first start to check. I had a 1980 Chevy silverado that I thought for sure had a rod knocking & it turned out being almost all of the torque converter bolts were loose & one of them had came out.
    ScottyJones
    ScottyJones

Post by ScottyJones Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:44 pm

I will check that tomorrow…the knocking did seem like it was coming from down low when I listened from underneath the van, so that could be a possibility (fingers crossed).

Definitely count me in for the van show in El Cajon. I also need to at least be able to drive it down the hill to the Tiki Oasis car show in August!

HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Post by HandiVanMan Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:59 pm

Good Luck! Hopefully it will turn out to be the torque converter bolts loose.
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:03 pm

don't go throwing away good money. Further diagnosis is warranted here.

I agree to checking the torque converter bolts and also look very carfully all over the flex plate for a crack, especialy around the crank to flex plate bolts and check them for tightness too. You will have to undo the torque converter and slide it back to check the crank bolts.

However that sound is comming at cam shaft speed and has the eractict inconsistancy the valve train can have. Since you think it is a lower end sound it could very well be a sticking or colapsing lifter.

Gat a stethescope or use a long bar to listen on the block at the bottom of the side covers at each lifter location.

Judging by the soumd, its speed and eratic behaivor, if it is to do with the botton end it would have to be a cracked piston skirt to be at that speed but if it is that it should disapere with the plug wire pulled.

M1d
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:34 pm

So you want me to tow you over to the van show????? I would pull the valve cover off if you can't find anything else,,,,,look and see if one of the rocker arms is twisted,,,,,I got my old engine sitting in a shed for the last 15 years,,,,,,I sure would like to hear it run again,,,,,,maybe we can put it in yours until you come up with a plan,,,,,,,
    ScottyJones
    ScottyJones

Post by ScottyJones Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:02 pm

That sounds like a good pre plan. Is that your original motor?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:20 pm

I have got over 500,000 miles on my van,,,,,ain't too much original left,,,,,that was engine #2,,,,,engine #3 is in it now and is getting tired,,,,,,
    ScottyJones
    ScottyJones

Post by ScottyJones Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:40 pm

Whatever ends up being the problem, it will be nice to know everything is in working order so I can put some more miles on my van.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:46 pm

In my world,,,,,all these vans are worn out,,,,,and you need to find out what you got,,,,,,then you know what you got,,,,,,and can make it more dependable,,,,,safer,,,,,and more comfortable,,,,,,
    ScottyJones
    ScottyJones

Post by ScottyJones Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:26 am

Well, bad news, those bolts are tight. Looks like the problem lies elsewhere.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:58 am

You could take those 3 bolts out and slide the torque converter back towards the transmission away from the flexplate and see if the noise changes,,,,,,you got to try everything simple before you get down to some serious money stuff,,,,,do a compression test,,,see if anything shows up out of the ordinary,,,,,I think we can drop the pan and see if any connecting rods are loose,,,,,but,,,,the odds are against you being able to fix the knock by changing some parts while laying under your van in your driveway,,,,,,take the valve cover off,,,,,bump the engine over a few times,,,,dont start it,,,put rags over the rockers,,,it will spray oil up,,,,,see if any of those rocker arms gets real loose after a few bump overs,,,,,
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:03 pm

Hey Scott,,,,send a PM to Devimau if you want him to come over and listen to your engine,,,,,he works at a REAL motorcycle shop right across the street from you on India Street,,,,,,

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 6:18 am