VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+9
blue Oval
CraigK
66ThunderVan
StuNami
Smallblockbug
Van Halen
Hellfish
G-Man
kage
13 posters

"The Buzzing Half Dozen" 63 pickup build

kage
    kage

Number of posts : 51
    Registration date : 2012-07-18

"The Buzzing Half Dozen" 63 pickup build Empty "The Buzzing Half Dozen" 63 pickup build

Post by kage Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:24 am

I recently picked up a 63 Eco pickup. I have already started work on her.
    I am currently trying to get the engine to fire up and tearing into the body to see what all kind of damage is being hid under a mountain of Bondo.

So far I have replace the timing chain, points, and condenser on the little 144. I will not put much more money into the little 144 since I plan on swapping out the 144 with a built 200 (hence the name "The Buzzing Half Dozen")

plans for the 200 are
    Dual roller timing chain
    bored .30 with flat top pistons
    clay smith cam
    Clifford headers
    and a tri-power set up.

As far as the body goes I am basically leaving it stock with the exception of shaving off the emblems, and replacing the rotten bed with a sheet of diamond plate.
    I will be replacing both side panels with new patch panels along with the rear corners. She will get a Hot Rod Flats Dayton Blue Pearl Paint job with some grey/silver scallops. And A soft tonneau cover for the bed.

The interior will get a matching paint job and some blue and silver metallic vinyl upholstery
    As Far as wheels go I plan on running rocket injector wheels. 15x8 out back and 15x4 up front.

So enjoy the pics and follow along as we rebuild this ol girl into a cool daily driver/ parts getter.
    "The Buzzing Half Dozen" 63 pickup build 3downl11
    "The Buzzing Half Dozen" 63 pickup build 4downl11
    "The Buzzing Half Dozen" 63 pickup build 5downl10
    "The Buzzing Half Dozen" 63 pickup build 6downl10
    "The Buzzing Half Dozen" 63 pickup build 7downl10
    "The Buzzing Half Dozen" 63 pickup build 24down11
    "The Buzzing Half Dozen" 63 pickup build 34down11
    "The Buzzing Half Dozen" 63 pickup build 35down10
    "The Buzzing Half Dozen" 63 pickup build 40down10
    "The Buzzing Half Dozen" 63 pickup build Produc10
    kage
    kage

"The Buzzing Half Dozen" 63 pickup build Empty Re: "The Buzzing Half Dozen" 63 pickup build

Post by kage Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:31 am

Yesterday I welded up a few holes in the passenger side door and front wheel well. I still need to fix the rusted out area on the wheel well. I have not put any filler on yet. I just primed over the bare metal to keep it from rusting.
    "The Buzzing Half Dozen" 63 pickup build 46down10
    "The Buzzing Half Dozen" 63 pickup build 47down10
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

"The Buzzing Half Dozen" 63 pickup build Empty Re: "The Buzzing Half Dozen" 63 pickup build

Post by G-Man Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:11 pm

Looking great already!!!
    kage
    kage

Post by kage Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:33 am

Yesterday I removed the heater box, air vent boxes, and headlight bezels.

I also removed the brake pedal and master cylinder. I plan on doing a disc brake conversion on the front and running new brake lines all around.

I started stripping the front of the truck and guess what I found?...More Bondo. It was thick enough that the easiest way to remove it was using a hammer and screwdriver. Just like the other spots on the truck that have been covered in bondo, the damage underneath isn't that bad. Dont get me wrong..the nose is pretty beat up but not enough to warrant that much bondo.

The pic below with the grid looking pattern is from where I used the edge of an old stripping disc and cut into the bondo just to see how much was on the front panel and how thick it was.

I still haven't got the motor to fire up but part of the problem is that I think I have a bad fuel pump. I will be replacing that in the next few days.

I am also thinking of rewiring the whole truck. If i do I will use a rebel wiring harness. I have used them in the past and it is my wiring harness of choice for any future projects.

"The Buzzing Half Dozen" 63 pickup build 48down10
    "The Buzzing Half Dozen" 63 pickup build 49down10
    "The Buzzing Half Dozen" 63 pickup build 50down10
    "The Buzzing Half Dozen" 63 pickup build 51down10
    Hellfish

Number of posts : 146
    Registration date : 2011-03-01

Post by Hellfish Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:33 am

The Bondo on the sides of mine look just like that!

Post by Guest Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:01 pm

That a lot of filler!!
    Cool truck though, looks like a good project good luck with it.

Joel
    kage
    kage

Post by kage Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:14 pm

Im thinking about cutting part of the front panel out and trying to make a new piece to go in its place. pic below is about the area i would cut out.
    "The Buzzing Half Dozen" 63 pickup build Nose_r10

Post by Guest Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:36 pm

You may be able to find a used piece..Save some fab time.
    kage
    kage

Post by kage Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:41 pm

campin'fool wrote:You may be able to find a used piece..Save some fab time.
    I really hope i can find a good nose piece to use. That would be a lot better and easier than trying to make one
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:58 pm

Nice work so far, nice to see you saving one
    kage
    kage

Post by kage Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:55 pm

Thanks to this site I have a possible lead on a nose for my Truck. Hopefully we can work out a deal.

Post by Guest Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:02 pm

cheers
    Van Halen
    Van Halen

Number of posts : 1785
    Registration date : 2010-04-30

Post by Van Halen Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:31 pm

Is it that rusted or can you bang it out??
    Smallblockbug
    Smallblockbug

Number of posts : 233
    Registration date : 2011-01-27

Post by Smallblockbug Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:50 pm

There is a nose of mine in jersey. It is up for sale. Casamir has it in his possession. Contact him for pics as I dont have any anymore. I have not picked it up yet and have already replaced my nose with a better nose. If it is something you can use then make a donation to the site and see if casamir will ship it to you or have him cut it down and ship it to you.
    StuNami
    StuNami

Number of posts : 437
    Registration date : 2010-12-14

Post by StuNami Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:58 pm

Cool choice of wheels. I wanted to go with those but they were late coming out last year and had to go with something else. Good Luck with the project. I'm pulling up a seat
    kage
    kage

Post by kage Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:28 am

This weekend I removed my steering column, steering box, and clutch pedal.
    I tore the steering gear box down, cleaned and rebuilt it. I also tore the column shift apart and cleaned it up. I am waiting for my new washer springs to come in for the column. I also need to repair the upper pivot mount on the column. the original broke.
    "The Buzzing Half Dozen" 63 pickup build 40down11
    "The Buzzing Half Dozen" 63 pickup build 41down10
    "The Buzzing Half Dozen" 63 pickup build 42down10
    "The Buzzing Half Dozen" 63 pickup build 43down10
    "The Buzzing Half Dozen" 63 pickup build 44down10
    I also started stripping the rest of the dog house so I can get it primered and prepped for paint. I would have finished the dog house yesterday but some of my car club family showed up and drug me off to a BBQ. As hot as it was yesterday a little swimming, cold beer, hanging with my friends and good food sounded better than working on the truck.
    "The Buzzing Half Dozen" 63 pickup build 45down10

I cleaned out the cab of the truck to see what all I needed to fix on the inside. I have a few small patches to replace at the back of the cab and a crack in the front passenger side.
    "The Buzzing Half Dozen" 63 pickup build 35down11
    "The Buzzing Half Dozen" 63 pickup build 36down10
    "The Buzzing Half Dozen" 63 pickup build 37down10
    "The Buzzing Half Dozen" 63 pickup build 38down10
    "The Buzzing Half Dozen" 63 pickup build 39down10
    66ThunderVan
    66ThunderVan

Number of posts : 384
    Registration date : 2012-01-08

Post by 66ThunderVan Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:23 pm

If the metal is not rusted through you might not want to cut out and replace it. If it were mine I would remove the bondo and straighten the metal. It's already bent up so a good way to remove bondo is to heat the back side of the metal with a torch and the bondo will pop right off. You already have the heater out so the only thig in the way is wires and wiper motor. Keep the flame away from them and you will be OK.
    Nice looking PU!
    kage
    kage

Post by kage Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:32 pm

66ThunderVan wrote:If the metal is not rusted through you might not want to cut out and replace it. If it were mine I would remove the bondo and straighten the metal. It's already bent up so a good way to remove bondo is to heat the back side of the metal with a torch and the bondo will pop right off. You already have the heater out so the only thig in the way is wires and wiper motor. Keep the flame away from them and you will be OK.
    Nice looking PU!
    My nose is pretty rusty. The lower seam under the headlights is rusted thru almost all the way across. I have big rust holes at the hinges and there are holes thru the headlight area. And also on the A pillar at the bottom edge of the windshield.
    66ThunderVan
    66ThunderVan

Post by 66ThunderVan Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:17 pm

I guess you do need a nose job!
    kage
    kage

Post by kage Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:46 am

Yesterday I tore the heater box down all the way. I will have to sandblast the base piece because of all the pitting. The rest of is should be ready for primer in the next day or so. And lucky me the fan motor is still good.
    "The Buzzing Half Dozen" 63 pickup build 46down11

I finished stripping the the dog house and got it primered..I still need to to do the lid to the doghouse. It is in good shape so I am thinking about just scuffing up the paint that is currently on it and just painting over it.

I also did the battery box.

The dog house, battery box, and heater box will all be getting painted here soon. the Battery box and heater box will go back black and the doghouse will be blue with white scallops to match the truck once it is painted.
    "The Buzzing Half Dozen" 63 pickup build 47down11
    "The Buzzing Half Dozen" 63 pickup build 48down11
    "The Buzzing Half Dozen" 63 pickup build 49down11
    66ThunderVan
    66ThunderVan

Post by 66ThunderVan Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:17 pm

Looking good! I wish I had your time and energy!!!!
    kage
    kage

Post by kage Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:27 pm

66ThunderVan wrote:Looking good! I wish I had your time and energy!!!!
    I try to put at least a couple hours everyday after work in on my rides...thats if i have something I can do to them. a lot of times its lack of parts or supplies that hold me up.

Here soon I will have a lot more time to dedicate to my rides. I will be out of the Army in a couple of weeks and I will have a lot of free time to dedicate to getting the truck and my Mercury going.
    kage
    kage

Post by kage Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:35 pm

Here is my other project I am working on. It is a 56 Mercury chopped 4",smoothed, shaved, air bags all around, and 292 Y-block,

She is my pride and Joy. I cant wait to get her going.

"The Buzzing Half Dozen" 63 pickup build 220dow10
    "The Buzzing Half Dozen" 63 pickup build 223dow10

"The Buzzing Half Dozen" 63 pickup build 224dow10
    Pictured below is my Y-block with the marine interceptor intake I am running.

"The Buzzing Half Dozen" 63 pickup build 262dow10
    "The Buzzing Half Dozen" 63 pickup build 267dow10
    CraigK
    CraigK

Number of posts : 141
    Registration date : 2012-05-14

Post by CraigK Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:48 pm

That Merc is going to be sweet but then so is the Econoline. Keep posting.
    Oh and
    thanks for your service in the Army.
    blue Oval
    blue Oval

Number of posts : 88
    Registration date : 2012-07-24

Post by blue Oval Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:02 pm

hey kage I have that front I can cut out and send cheap been holding on to way to long . pm me

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:37 pm