VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
dix
HandiVanMan
G-Man
Dad's 69
8 posters

Please help out this newcomer- need information! -looking to buy this 69 Chevy Sportvan 90

Dad's 69
    Dad's 69

Number of posts : 2
    Registration date : 2012-06-16

Please help out this newcomer- need information! -looking to buy this 69 Chevy Sportvan 90 Empty Please help out this newcomer- need information! -looking to buy this 69 Chevy Sportvan 90

Post by Dad's 69 Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:29 pm

Hello. I am brand new to this forum, this is my first post in fact. I need help. I am looking to purchase my first van. The van I am looking at is a 1969 Chevy Sportvan 90. I am mechanically competent (basics and small repairs), but largely unfamiliar with this type of vehicle. What things do I need to look for when looking at this van? Are there points on the body or frame that are particularly susceptible to rust that I will need to look out for? Any advice would be very helpful. I want to know what I am getting into before making the deal. Also the asking price is way to high. The thing hasn't run in a few years and the guy is wanting way too much for it. When I go to have a thorough look and if I make him an offer I would like to be prepared to point out to him evidence of why it is not worth the asking price. So I know I am in the ballpark, can you give me an idea of what such a van typically goes for- non runner, presumably the engine and transmission are good though, body is a bit rough, paint is completely gone, needs maybe $5k in work to make it worth $5k in my view. I am thinking it is worth no more than $800 as it is. I would like to hear some thoughts from those that know their vans. Thanks.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Please help out this newcomer- need information! -looking to buy this 69 Chevy Sportvan 90 Empty Re: Please help out this newcomer- need information! -looking to buy this 69 Chevy Sportvan 90

Post by G-Man Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:09 pm

Welcome!!! Key thing on these is rust, check dip rails around the gas tank filler, frame, windshield. Do you have a picture???
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Number of posts : 1868
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

Please help out this newcomer- need information! -looking to buy this 69 Chevy Sportvan 90 Empty Re: Please help out this newcomer- need information! -looking to buy this 69 Chevy Sportvan 90

Post by HandiVanMan Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:49 pm

Welcome to Vintage Vans!!! Like G-Man said pics would help to determine a value.

Post by Guest Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:31 pm

RUN!!!!!!! SAVE YOURSELF & your FAMILY !!!!!! ... Resistance is FUTILE ... you WILL be vanssimilated ... lol! ... Welcome!

It putts da lotions on itss skins and putts it the bassssskkket ... I'm having a friend for dinner ...

Welcome to the Hotel Vintage Vans ... you can check out any time you like ... but you can NEVER leave ... affraid

(Hmmm I seem to have discoverd the BOLD and Italic functions in posting as well as emoticons)
    Dad's 69
    Dad's 69

Number of posts : 2
    Registration date : 2012-06-16

Post by Dad's 69 Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:15 am

Sorry, I do not have any pictures. It has some new components- clutch, fan, steering column. Paint has flakes a good inch long sticking out. Will need to have small dents pounded out around different spots on the body. Interior is tired, glass seems to be free of cracks. Marker lights will need replacing. Needs a handle on the rear door. Tanks is full of 2+ year old gas that will need to be drained. tires hold air, tread is about 50% by my eye. Chrome bumper is beaten up and in need of replacement; is beyond repair. I suspect (can't know for sure because it does not run( that the engine will need tearing into to make it run smooth enough to be a daily driver, as I would like it to be. It needs a new battery. I will look over the frame with a light and around the windshield for rust when I go back to see it again.

I really appreciate the advice guys, the opportunity to pick this up means a lot to me -something I will explain in detail later. It should be in a couple days. Wish me luck.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8759
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:22 am

welcome to v.v. the gm guys will not steer ya wrong. lots of great info here...

Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:18 am

sounds to me that you may be better off spending a little more and getting something thats in a little better shape to start out with. You'll save money in the long run
    neondv8
    neondv8

Number of posts : 278
    Registration date : 2012-04-04

Post by neondv8 Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:50 pm

Welcome to the forum .....
    I just got my van last month. And I'm in WA.
    If you not sure just hold off .....you will find one you love!
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:56 pm

Don't forget the brakes from sitting.

As said, the biggie is rust and body damage. You will also be dealing with 40 year-old wiring and the basic mechanics.

These are all unibody, so no seperate frame. Check play in the steering.

And Welcome to the site!
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:04 pm

Welcome to the site, Thats just the van body I want to get next. I hope its a nice one for you.

M1D
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:42 pm

Where in WA state are you? The best thing you can do is make friends with a local vanner and have one of us go with you to check it out!

If that one doesn't work out, I know of where other early chevy's are... Wink

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Sep 07, 2024 8:59 pm