VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
HandiVanMan
donivan65
jrinaman
NipRing
8 posters

Speedo adapter part?

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Speedo adapter part? - Page 2 Empty Re: Speedo adapter part?

Post by donivan65 Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:20 pm

The transmission is set up to lock up the torque converter, which connects the engine solidly to the transmission,,,,and when it is locked, if you step on the brakes it kills the engine dead just like stepping on the brakes without stepping on the clutch on a manual transmission,,,(that's IF you have a problem),,,the brake light switch is supposed to unlock the convertor so it will go back to slipping and you can stop,,,,HOWEVER,,,,not having it hooked up causes the convertor to slip and create more heat,,,,so you ain't doing the trans any good as well as when it is slipping your mileage is suffering,,,,so it is a good deal to hook it up,,,,,,you surely wasted gas by driving it home with it not hooked up and put some unnecessary wear on the trans,,,,I think you should service the trans and see ho things look in the pan,,,,,,,
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Number of posts : 1868
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

Post by HandiVanMan Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:14 am

All true but the 4th gear is an overdrive gear and is best to be used on interstate highways.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7451856_use-overdrive-700_r4-transmission.html
    NipRing
    NipRing

Number of posts : 336
    Registration date : 2011-08-14

Post by NipRing Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:05 am

I just had he pan off a few weeks ago for the first time since i bought it. It was clean. Minimal stuff stuck to the magnet and the fluid wasnt very dirty.

And again, I dont have anything "rigged". I did not install any of this drivetrain. I'm just dealing with what I've got.

Well this is obviously more than just an adapter part to get my speedometer working. And I'm going to pursue getting it "correct" but i just cant be spending a lot of money right now.

Also, as far as the shifting goes, what is the setup of this trans? Is it P R N OD D 2 1? I just assumed after N was D.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:00 am

there are some aftermarket companys (trannys) that are selling adapter tail housings & spedo kits for these with electronic spedos -to mechanical types - bad thing is -expensive 450+++
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Number of posts : 1868
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

Post by HandiVanMan Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:10 am

PRNOD21 the O has a little D inside of it. It is the overdrive position. The 2nd gear it takes past neutral is the one that you want to drive around town in start & stop situations & up hills & such. I have a cousin that fried his transmission driving it around in overdrive & it cost him over $1000 to have it rebuilt. He had been driving it for 3 or 4 years in overdrive before it started messing up.
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Number of posts : 890
    Registration date : 2011-03-10

Post by jrinaman Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:48 am

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ACF-25512339/http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TCI-880013/ total is $80.00 from summit. $50.00 with used housing from the link i gave earlier and less than $20.00 from a junkyard, scrapyard or tranny shop for parts off of a junk tranny. bring it up here and i will put it in for free. remove 1 bolt, slide out elec housing, slide in mechanical housing, re install bolt, connect cable.
    NipRing
    NipRing

Post by NipRing Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:55 am

I'll hit up the junk yard this weekend. Does the color of the speedo gear mean anything?
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Number of posts : 890
    Registration date : 2011-03-10

Post by jrinaman Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:11 pm

yes, the color is number of teeth. just get whatever junkyard has. when you install it, keep track of color of new gear and gear in tranny. after you drive it, use a gps and drive at a steady 50 mph and let me know what it shows, i will calculate what gear you need and might evan have it here.
    NipRing
    NipRing

Post by NipRing Tue May 01, 2012 2:29 pm

So yeah, it turns out mine has that magnetic pickup inside, so it is a 4L60. Talked to a tranny shop, they said they'd pull off the tail and change the gear inside to work with a mechanical speedo gear, put in the correct mechanical gear and take care of the 12v for the lockup of the OD (which it never had). $200-250, I'm dropping it off thursday morning, should be done in a day. I'll report back when its done.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 9:12 am