VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
Barnabas
Big W
6 posters

how to adjust rear and side barn doors after new seals?

how to adjust rear and side barn doors after new seals? Empty how to adjust rear and side barn doors after new seals?

Post by Guest Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:10 pm

i just replaced all the rear and side doors on my E van
    want to readjust the doors so the fit better and close better
    i am not sure how you adjust the hinges, they slide in and out when loosened but how do u adjust them the other direction?

thanks

Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

how to adjust rear and side barn doors after new seals? Empty Re: how to adjust rear and side barn doors after new seals?

Post by Big W Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:59 pm

Try putting in some shims in behind hinges. Are your hinges bent causing doors to be to close to post? These old vans are known for bent hinges and slightly twisted door post causing doors to go out a wack. Could try to bend hinges "BUT" others have tried this and it's not an easy task. I would try shims first.

how to adjust rear and side barn doors after new seals? Empty Re: how to adjust rear and side barn doors after new seals?

Post by Guest Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:27 pm

thanks
    i was wondering if there was a way to shim the hinges
    anyone know if that is how the factory aligned the doors

Barnabas
    Barnabas
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2011
    Registration date : 2011-01-16

Post by Barnabas Wed May 16, 2012 9:29 pm

I use shims.

Post by Guest Wed May 16, 2012 10:03 pm

thanks that is what i ended up doing
    neondv8
    neondv8

Number of posts : 278
    Registration date : 2012-04-04

Post by neondv8 Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:57 pm

What shims are you guys using ?

Post by Guest Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:17 pm

i used generic door shims
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:37 am

kengarchow wrote:thanks
    i was wondering if there was a way to shim the hinges
    anyone know if that is how the factory aligned the doors

The factory is a production line. I seriously doubt they carefully bolted things together, then added shims except for the extreme cases.
    They probably had a big guy with a section of 2X4 and a couple other weapons of distruction that forced things into place.
    If you go to youtube you can find old-school body fitting videos from the 1950s that show how it was done back then. There are also many copies of a video of the Trabant factory workers adjusting fit. That one is good for laughs at the crudity, but is a good example of how stuff is 'adjusted'.
    Also, when new seals are installed, they tend to be a bit too big and force the alignment off until they settle in.
    Barnabas
    Barnabas

Number of posts : 2011
    Registration date : 2011-01-16

Post by Barnabas Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:17 pm

The last time I did this, I was a poor college student and just slipped in small scraps of sheet metal.
    Sometimes several pieces of metal together to get the right thickness.
    Duct tape held them in place until I got the hinges bolted tight.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:54 pm

Post by Guest Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:15 am

thanks
    guess thats some of what i should have tried
    next time
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:11 am

Rod, how do you come up with these gems? I'm enjoying the Imperial guide.
    Van crazy

Number of posts : 533
    Registration date : 2011-08-04

Post by Van crazy Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:05 pm

old school thats the way the body sheet metal and door if far weaker than the hinge!!!!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 12:34 pm