VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+5
benwah
Hawkrod
donivan65
savage
back2thewoods
9 posters

universal gas tanks

back2thewoods
    back2thewoods

Number of posts : 842
    Registration date : 2008-05-26

universal gas tanks Empty universal gas tanks

Post by back2thewoods Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:44 pm

has anyone ever used a universal hotrod tank,?? something for a streetrod??
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

universal gas tanks Empty Re: universal gas tanks

Post by savage Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:25 pm

My Universal gas tank is usually a gas can. At least while I work on it(so far)
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:02 pm

I had this extra 10 gallon VW tank inside my van back in the 70's during the oil embargo,,,,,,,,,and it might go back under my van one day,,,,,,,

universal gas tanks Done_t10
    Hawkrod

Number of posts : 11
    Registration date : 2008-12-14

Post by Hawkrod Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:22 am

If you are talking about the plastic fuel cells, yes. I use those for my builds, they work very well. I haven't checked my current tank out yet, but if it's shot then I will go with a universal tank. ~h~
    back2thewoods
    back2thewoods

Number of posts : 842
    Registration date : 2008-05-26

Post by back2thewoods Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:43 am

do they come with sending unit? something that would fit a 64?? what brand? can you use original gas fill?
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:55 am

savage wrote:My Universal gas tank is usually a gas can. At least while I work on it(so far)
    me too!! mine is for a boat think its a 3 gal, even has a gadge to let you know when its allmost mt! Laughing
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:35 am

benwah wrote:
    savage wrote:My Universal gas tank is usually a gas can. At least while I work on it(so far)
    me too!! mine is for a boat think its a 3 gal, even has a gadge to let you know when its allmost mt! Laughing

And if you leave the primer bulb on, you can use that as your emergency fuel pump. You can also get a 6 gallon tank and go twice as far. Bring the tank in the shop a night so no one steals your fuel or you van. No more purchasing the overpriced gas can at the gas station when you do run out of gas.

I never did find a replacement tank for my A that I could mount under the truck where the original tank is.
    benwah
    benwah

Post by benwah Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:40 pm

itruns , used to be able to get an aftermarket from j,c. whitney it was larger than stock ,some thing like 30-40 gallons. that was back in 95, i did buy one. never used it , it came with everything straps and sending unit. it was expensive but well built, speaking of j.c.whitney anyone have an old catalog from the late 70s early 80s kicking around? i need to borrow it.
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

universal gas tanks Empty all tanked up

Post by m1dadio Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:56 pm

Hey Dudes I have a 65 tank in good repairable condition I don't need. I'm located above WA in Victoria BC Canada.

It has very little rust, It has one very small pin hole that can be solderd up easy. From the inside it looks like a tiny drop of water sat in the same spot for years. It also has some dents that can be pushed back out, maybe with air.

universal gas tanks Dscn0712

universal gas tanks Dscn0713

The sender is not with it any more

m1
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:21 am

This may be out there but has anyone tried lets say a A100 tank or econo tank in a Chevy or a Chevy tank in a A100 or econo. My thoughts are the tanks are located in the same area in all our vans. Maybe they may interchange???. It would be nice to find a tank of some kind that could be made to work in all.
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:50 am

The A's tanks have the sending unit on the back end instead of the top, so I think I'm stuck using an A tank. I don't know if an A tank will fit in an E or G.
    benwah
    benwah

Post by benwah Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:26 am

seeing that theres 9" of snow out, i went upstairs to my parts emporium, the aftermarket tank is 36" wide frame rail to frame rail, 21" 1/2 long front to back and 14" tall . the sending unit is on the top . the fuel pickup is in the back on the bottom. theres a couple ribs 1"1/2 to create a gap so you wont crush the sending unit when installing. DVR-1 is stenceled on the tank and marked on the box. did my best to read the packing slip i believe the part # is N8768 ??? man that thing is heavy, if i ever do use it ill deffinatly have to add a leaf or two to the leaf springs! ive also used a larger late model 68-9 A100 tank on a 64 A100 with the smaller tank and used the 64s guts and strap. and everything worked out good.
    RipVanArkie
    RipVanArkie

Number of posts : 987
    Registration date : 2008-05-13

Post by RipVanArkie Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:33 am

G- The fill on an Econo tank is below the seam as the Chevy is above the seam... the Econo guys mod the early Mustang tank by moving the fill below the seam... the Mustang fill is in the same place as our Chevy tanks! That is worth looking at as you can buy Mustang tanks from most vendors.
    I think the early Ranchero tanks might work as well (haven't verified that).

Later,
    Rip

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:35 am