VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+5
Digz
Lazarusvan
G-Man
donivan65
HandiVanMan
9 posters

1969 Chevy Van 6cyl to V8 swap info needed

Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

1969 Chevy Van 6cyl to V8 swap info needed - Page 2 Empty Re: 1969 Chevy Van 6cyl to V8 swap info needed

Post by Digz Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:50 am

I see where you are coming from. It looks to me like its about an even split on the 6 guys and the V8 guys, I dont have that dilema because I dont like 6 bangers, you can put as much money into a 6 as you can an 8 depending on what you have to do with it so I lean to the 8s. It's been to many years since I messed with a 1bbl carb to say much there, have you run a compression test on the 6 to make sure you aren't fighting something else? how many miles are on the 6?
    The truck will probably not fit , we are geared for something in the 20" wide range in the 6 set up and I think 28" OA width on the 8s set up, most of the hooded stuff runs 32 to 34 " wide. You would probably have to do like Wideload said and get an aluminum rad that is as close as possible in dimension. some are refitting a mustang rad or something to work also. Once you get away from Stock , there is always fab of something it seems like.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

1969 Chevy Van 6cyl to V8 swap info needed - Page 2 Empty Re: 1969 Chevy Van 6cyl to V8 swap info needed

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:25 am

Im with everyone here on all -esp=Diggs on the V8 's= Just somewhat simplire to keep the 6 when came in our earlys- yet $ for $ same on engines & building- personal preferences. As for cooling -& even vetts - ive done soem diff ideas in past - this is what i know from experiences- iv still got a big block 67 vette coupe. Radiator cools great still origional. I also have a 56 chev pu with v8 & diff radiator from a dodge pu. It all comes down to this = If you dont have a shroud on the radiator that a fan can pull the air thru its cooling will be somewhat limited!! I had a sheet metal shop easily build a shroud for me years bach for the 56 pu- I also installed a pusger elect fan & ran a standard water pump driven fan on it- I have yet in over 30 years to turn on & use the electric fan!! The standard fan is within 1 -2 " of sides of shroud & inside the shroud by 1 " also = really pulls the air thru the raidiator. Cools extermely well. Get a shroud or have one made- That alone is still what the car mfg's do today to aid cooling =even on a small 2 core radiator. Air flow is the cooling key.
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Number of posts : 1868
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

Post by HandiVanMan Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:45 am

I have not checked the compression or checked it for leak down either. The guy that I bought it from said that the guy he got it from said that it ran great and had plenty of power before his dad passed away & it sat in storage until 2004 it had empty spark plug boxes in it so& the plugs look new in it & looks like it has new plug wires on it. I could tell that they had been trying to get it running before I got it. They had a brand new carburetor in a box completely tore apart. I found that the fuel sending unit was completely stopped up and the fuel pump was not pumping a drop of fuel to the carburetor. I think that they might of tore the new carburetor apart thinking that it was the reason that it was not getting any fuel to it. Or maybe they was just on drugs & or wanted to tear it apart to see how it works??? Who knows??? I can't figure out why the tore it apart as it is brand new. I cleaned the fuel sending unit & it took me about 3 or 4 hours to finally get it unstopped & all of the tar & gum out of it. It was like concrete in it. I used carburetor cleaner, WD 40, brake cleaner & a few more things trying to get it unstopped & finally got it with Sea Foam Deep Creep spray. After cleaning the fuel sending unit, gas tank & putting it back in the fuel pump pumped gas perfect with the fuel line unhooked from the carburetor but when I hooked the fuel line up to the carb it wouldn't pump nothing to it. I figured out that the float was sticking & when I rebuilt the carb it now pumps gas to the carb with no problem & it will fire right up but won't idle. I think that don is right on it sucking air of I have all of the gaskets on right. I have a spare carburetor that I bought off of eBay to rebuild so I guess I will tear it apart and compare the gaskets side by side to make sure I got them on right then put it back on & try it out again. I have been a Chevy man all of my life and I to also prefer the V8's over the 6cyl anyday but with gas as high as it is all of my V8's is killing me at the pump. I have a 78 ford truck with a 60's model mustang cobra engine in it and I have to put gas in it just to go to the store & then put gas in it just to get back home.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:12 am

1969 Chevy Van 6cyl to V8 swap info needed - Page 2 1968_c10

1969 Chevy Van 6cyl to V8 swap info needed - Page 2 1969-710
    ncbkr2002
    ncbkr2002

Number of posts : 140
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Post by ncbkr2002 Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:05 pm

motor mounts ?? from 6 to 8 the same ??? or at least re-useable ???
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:17 pm

Yes , just need the pad with the 3 bolt holes for the engine and the single bolt for the cradle. Just make sure they are still good, flopping motor is not something you want to happen.
    RipVanArkie
    RipVanArkie

Number of posts : 987
    Registration date : 2008-05-13

Post by RipVanArkie Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:52 am

Looks llike the original questions have been answered. I just want to comment on Wikipedia. You can modify the info they provide and they really dont require any prooff you know what you are talking about. The info for the Early Chevy Vans has been modified several times (by some of us) over the past ten years. A few of us have even changed the stock photo to one of our own van.

Wikipedia is definately not reliable.

2013 MidSouth Econoline Meet
    Host of the MidSouth Econoline Meet, Petit Jean State Park, AR
    1967 Econoline Pickup
    1966 Econoline Supervan
    1967 Econoline 8-door regular van
    1965 ChevyVan, Cargo, 250/3speed

1964 Econoline 8-door Window Van, 4spd
    1966 Falcon SuperVan, Automatic

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 12:18 pm