VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Metal top camper owners

Metal top camper owners Empty Metal top camper owners

Post by Guest Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:27 pm

Though I've seen pictures of them over the the last few years and have noticed a few of them here, I've never saw one "live in the tin" so to speak. How do they work? could those of you who own one post some pictures of the inside workings and gadgetry and so on..... Thanks, JP
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Metal top camper owners Empty Re: Metal top camper owners

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:48 pm

Thanx for the intrests - ill post some pix soon= the actual farme mounts to the cutout arae on the vans roof- sealed & such- the actual roof that pops up is on fixed hinges - (sides) that when =pushed up allow a roof area to be pushed up on top and sealed by the sides. The sides are "locked" by some simple locking clips - 4 usually- not allowing the top to fold down or collapse. Windows are allso in teh sides -covered by screens & yes they slide. it is a very simple system-1st designed & used on our vans as early as 1961. These contuniued in production until the 1968/9 model years i believe with a total of only 312 units ever being made. Im being specific to the ones made by= "Travel equipment copr" of Elkhart Ind. There were sever other ones =diff mfg's=made yet =in late 60's were made of fabric & some in fibergless - the later ones were solid mounted & did not collapse. I own 2 tops = one on my 1967 chev van - done @ the factory with conversion & 1- from a 1961 econoline I have sold yet new owner did not wnat the top so -i kept it. It is the only one i have ever seen with a different design windows in it. Sort of like a stsgecoack look - design looks like the actual top area in teglass areas. Many of these alunimum skinned tops had also hammocks & holders installed for the kids sleeping areas.There were also propane stoves , sinks, and many other acessories offered in teh van conversion 's'. All im speaking of were by travel equip. corp.Im bad @ posting pics here -yet will try & do so.may have some in my gallery??

Post by Guest Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:24 pm

Thanks for the information Twinpilot. The more I see of these the cooler I think they are. I looked through the gallery but didn't see any interior pics. I don't think I missed any but if I did, it wouldn't be the first time.
    MikeShums
    MikeShums

Number of posts : 116
    Registration date : 2010-10-14

Post by MikeShums Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:09 pm

not my van, but one that sold a number of years ago. Best interior photos that I have seen. http://www.oldcooltoys.com/travelwagon.html

Post by Guest Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:31 pm

WOW, Thats a nice camper. They can't come too much cleaner than that. Yours in your avitar looks nice too. Thanks alot Mike, I saved the link. Between what Twinpilot posted and those pictures I think I got it figured out. Thats not to say I'm in ANY way tired of looking at these cool campers, so any one who has more pic's...I'm all eyes!! Very Happy JP
    MikeShums
    MikeShums

Post by MikeShums Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:07 am

Twinpilot,

I get concerned when people start quoting production numbers on these vans since the real records are few and far between. What is your source on the 312 number?

Mike
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Metal top camper owners Empty numbers

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:21 am

Hi Mike -I knew u'd sign in soon. That production #'s was fron a man that had worked for that company -knew the tops & about them. Was in some research i did online & contacted him= wasnt many as id thought.
    MikeShums
    MikeShums

Post by MikeShums Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:40 am

Sent you a private message, we need to talk. I'm really interested in the information that you have and the guy that you found.

-Mike
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

Post by Sy Hollinshead Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:26 am

Hey, if you do meet with the guy that made them, ask him why they didn't treat all the edges of the roof after they had cut a hole in it. Thats the only place on my van that has rust, and there is no sign of any paint at all on whats left of the cut edge....!!
    MikeShums
    MikeShums

Post by MikeShums Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:46 pm

Twinpilot, where you be? I sent you a PM, let's talk.
    scarlin
    scarlin

Number of posts : 258
    Registration date : 2012-01-25

Post by scarlin Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:00 pm

Sy, In the 60's and 70's many conversions were done in Elkhart IN in small garages or small shops. Get them out asap, quality sucked. As time went on and the FORD, chevy and dodge Co's made them clean up there quality or no more "legal" conversions from them, I used to work there.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:42 pm

Like everything done is usa - all the top guys did was to cut the hole - mount en in & get the buckx for the mods. sad -yet true-edges were never treated ,painted or anything. Have you ever removed a factory viynl covered top. Tha will scare you & all the manafactured did them the same way - never any paint , finish or body work under those viynl covers .They rusted badly in most cases.The 2 tops ive seen & have are all same ways -yet never any bad rust in the cutout areas. Im guessing thats because of being here in Idaho & wa. state always .?? I do know there is a nice way to get the tops (alunimum) back to being shiny -like new alunimum .Im doing my top this summer & resealing it also.
    MikeShums
    MikeShums

Post by MikeShums Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:17 am

Twinpilot001 wrote:I do know there is a nice way to get the tops (alunimum) back to being shiny -like new alunimum .Im doing my top this summer & resealing it also.

HOW?!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 2:43 am