VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

van conversion

van conversion Empty van conversion

Post by Guest Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:24 pm

anyone knows a site for van conversion, how to properly make the inside, walls, insulation, wiring, sound system, type of vinyl, woods..anything..thanks for any inputs
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

van conversion Empty Re: van conversion

Post by RodStRace Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:40 pm

Anything written 'back in the day' when this was DIY is going to be outdated. Van conversion companies don't provide info or patterns to average Joes.
    Each part of the process varies due to costs and abilities.
    Take a look around here and do internet searches for stereo stuff, panels, carpet and padding along with whatever else your twisted mind can imagine.
    Go to a local self-serve junk yard and disect a modern van conversion to learn how they do it. Create patterns for your van from appliance box cardboard. Plan stuff out and sleep on it. Design what you can afford and do or sub-contract out.
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Number of posts : 1868
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

Post by HandiVanMan Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:33 pm

I live in Calhoun Ga & there is no longer any customizing shops in my town. I don't even think that their is a good upolstery shop around anymore. We used to have 2 upolstery shops in Dalton Ga that was good at what they did back in the days but they have all retired & had no one to carry on their trade. The owner of one of the shops worked till he was in his 80's until he shut his doors for good.... He was a master upolstery man & hand sewed all of his upolstery with an old sewing machine & when I say old I mean old!!! He sewed his own diamond tuck that looked better than factory machine made stuff!!! He could take plain upolstery & hand sew it to replace any style & pattern upolstery out there & it look juat as good or better than factory!!! We had one van customized in Dalton that did all kinds of customizing, sold & installed anything on the market.... The same ahop is still open but the guy that owns it only does small jobs & installs tool boxes, bed rails & light weight stuff as he to is in his mid 60's these days.....It's sad that all are gone in my area!!!

Post by Guest Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:33 pm

i havent found much on the net, you were right, they dont give much info , my main worries is the humidity factor,the cold and moisture is there anything to do , cause i know that i dont live in California, ...thanks
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8731
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:25 pm

THERE WAS A LONG THREAD ON THIS TRY LOOKING UP WALL INSULATING. WE WILL GET IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION. ALL THE CONVERSION COMPANYS USE FIBERGLASS. YOU DO NOT WANT TO DO THAT.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8731
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:33 pm

Post by Guest Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:52 pm

the link was very helpful Dix, i will have to choose the right insulation..thanks

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 8:14 am