VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
sunnskate
G-Man
HandiVanMan
7 posters

Chrome parts re chroming???

HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Number of posts : 1868
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

Chrome parts re chroming??? Empty Chrome parts re chroming???

Post by HandiVanMan Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:47 am

I am looking to get the chrome parts re chromed for my 1969 Gmc Handi Van. I found a chrome shop in Dallas ga that does chrome plating. They want' $60-$65 to re chrome the Handi Van emblems and $300 each to rechrome the bumpers. I am wondering if anyone knows if this is a good fair price or knows somewhere else in ga with a better price? Any help or advice would be much greatly appreciated.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Chrome parts re chroming??? Empty Re: Chrome parts re chroming???

Post by G-Man Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:35 am

moved your thread to general discussion, you had it in vans wanted.

$300 about the going rate for bumpers
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Post by HandiVanMan Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:36 pm

Ok, Thanks for the help and info.
    sunnskate
    sunnskate

Number of posts : 120
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by sunnskate Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:45 pm

$300.00 is a real good deal for both bumpers. If thats all your haven done. Mine where 425 but had them fixed The dents in the bumpers cost more to straiten out but money well spent.
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Post by econopoor Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:29 pm

Advance Plating in Nashville asked me $800 each to plate my bumpers. Mine, still are not plated. I think $300 sounds fair.

Duane in Tennessee.
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Post by HandiVanMan Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:02 pm

I don't know anything about their track record or the quality of work that they do. It a shame that we can't get aftermarket parts for our old 60's trucks and vans. I guess since there are not a whole lot of them left it wouldn't be worth it for a company that makes aftermarket parts to make them. I myself wish we could bring back the steel mills and industry back to America! I miss the made in the USA!!!
    BILLS66
    BILLS66

Number of posts : 1383
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by BILLS66 Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:16 pm

HandiVanMan,Those prices are good ,if that shop is local go visit and take a quick look.I just had mine done at a local shop that I had a bunch of stuff done at 30 years ago.I know alot of local guys also that have used them for years. The place looks like a dump (who cares) when I walked in there small front office there was a bunch of customer parts waiting to be chromed and they were an array of 50s stuff that you couldn't find if your life depended on it
    So if they are close go take a look and just do it. Bill
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Post by HandiVanMan Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:40 pm

Will probaly go check them out they are only about 45 to 50 miles from me. I am like you I don't care what their building looks like. I do worry about the quality and workmanship though. I have read on some forums where people had their chrome parts re chromed and they looked beautiful for a little while then started bubbling up. Not At this shop but it always helps to know someones track record.
    leghorn01
    leghorn01

Number of posts : 9
    Registration date : 2010-01-19

Post by leghorn01 Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:25 am

Just took rear bumper from my 67 to Space Coast Plating (Melbourne, Florida) and they wanted $450.00 (for one bumper) cash up front, and said it will take 6-8 weeks.. Since it was the rear bumper it did have a couple dings they will repair, so I'm quite anxious to see what I get back.
    I've noticed that there is quite a range in price on some of the forums. There wasn't another Plater for quite a ways from me, so I'm going with the local guy.
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Number of posts : 1293
    Registration date : 2011-02-22

Post by Lazarusvan Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:23 pm

The closest good place might be in TN. When I had my van quoted for a good paint job, the owner of the shop said he sends them off to TN as that was the closest place. No chrome platers in SC as the process is so toxic and not allowed in the state.

He does primarily classic cars and is one of those places that takes months to paint a car, so you know the TN place does good work if he recommends them. Don't recall the city, but could find out. The shop is C&L Automotive in Summervile, SC. Larry is the owner and could give you the name. There is a place I've heard of previoulsy in TX called Atlas Plating. Don't know anything about their car work, but I've seen old 50's era radios and Art Deco fans they've plated and the work was excellent.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 1:00 am