VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Anybody ever polish a cast iron exhaust manifold?

Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Number of posts : 1422
    Registration date : 2009-12-02

Anybody ever polish a cast iron exhaust manifold? Empty Anybody ever polish a cast iron exhaust manifold?

Post by Magic Bus Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:45 pm

Just curious, I know there are some performance gains and Ive seen some photos on google images, wondering if any of our vv experts have tried this and if so what kind of results?
    Roman
    Roman

Number of posts : 822
    Registration date : 2010-09-10

Anybody ever polish a cast iron exhaust manifold? Empty Re: Anybody ever polish a cast iron exhaust manifold?

Post by Roman Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:00 pm

It wouldn't help. Are you referring to porting them to match bigger exhaust ports on your heads?

Speedway Motors sells cast steel or cast S/S Tru Ram exhaust manifolds. I have a set of the S/S ones on my '64 Cadi. They work well until you put big power through them.

What's your goal? Are you trying to free up a bit of power on a budget?

I assumed you had a V8...if you're talking about a six I have no idea. I might have just wasted your time. scratch
    Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Number of posts : 1422
    Registration date : 2009-12-02

Anybody ever polish a cast iron exhaust manifold? Empty Re: Anybody ever polish a cast iron exhaust manifold?

Post by Magic Bus Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:26 am

Roman, I was just referring in general to porting, yes to match, and to smooth out or polish the rough spots in the cast iron manifold, Ive never done it but I know others have..And I had the idea because I currently have the crusty old manifold off my 170 and it has some rough spots and casting marks inside, just thinking...?

I suppose power on a budget would be the only reason to put yourself through all that grinding and metal dust?

Here is a link to one write up..

http://victorylibrary.com/mopar/ci-man-tech-c.htm

https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/img40/5958/exman005.jpg

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 4:24 pm