VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+6
Donn
Vanish
kgdb
Twinpilot001
Big W
medicmoose
10 posters

Dropping in a crate V8

Dropping in a crate V8 - Page 2 Empty Re: Dropping in a crate V8

Post by Guest Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:22 pm

Oh, some of the things that drive up the prices are aluminum heads and billet pulleys.
    kgdb
    kgdb

Number of posts : 266
    Registration date : 2009-12-03

Post by kgdb Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:33 pm

Ok, its settled then. He should plop in the sbf and live happily ever after! A good weekends work and you will be grinin from ear to ear. Remember what the commercial said "Wow, I should have had a V8". Very Happy

kgdb

Post by Guest Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:41 pm

It's settled? who settled it. you mean $7000.00-$8200.00 and a few days work and he will have something he can't afford to drive with the price of gas today.
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

Post by Vanish Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:06 pm

I am Sold on the V8 Myself !!! But what I am wondering is why a SBF Crate motor is so Much more than a Crate sbc 350 ????

Post by Guest Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:11 pm

I think in this case it is because of the higher end parts on the motor he was looking at, like aluminum heads, aluminum intake billet accessories, etc.. A plain jane stock 302 would be less. Those pulleys and brackets alone are over $600.00 and the heads probably close to $2000.00
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:47 pm

Bill SBC are always cheaper to built than any other motor. Take a high rise manifold. For GM $135 for Dodge and Ford the same manifold is about $280 for a example. My billet pullys and brackets for my SBC were only about $200. Why it costs more I don't know why. There is a demand for there motors just like SBC, but for some reason building a Ford or Dodge will cost double???
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:23 pm

I guess there are different reasons for diiferent motors, but the one thing that I think about when it comes to drivelines and such is the availabilty of parts... when you are far from home and something goes on you in the middle of trip and the local parts store is all you have and you hope he has what you need. So whether it be a 240 or SBF or SBC...or sealed beam headlight or the Volvo Kit that you had to special order your left hand thread bulbs that came from Europe...go with what most shops keep in stock or carry extra parts so you don't get stranded.( which is good idea any way with relays as they don't take up much space, same as fan belts and some tools). And this goes for every thing else that you put on your vehicle...from the electric fan to the relay systems that run these things. Ask yourself, if I need to buy it off the shelf, will it be there, or should I buy 2 of these little things and carry them with me just in case. As for the 240 vs SBC or SBF are the 240 parts available over the shelf. Now I am not saying you shouldn't run the I6, but give this some good thought as to your upgrades on these 46 year old early's and consider the posabilities of brake downs...down the road...just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Big W on Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post by Guest Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:33 pm

yes parts are usually available especially since most are the same parts used on 300 ci motors.

Post by Guest Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:36 pm

I always carry spare fan belts and hoses no matter what motor I have. Usually a gallon of coolant too and some oil.
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:07 pm

Yup me to, never leave home without a care package for the road.
    EconoCarl
    EconoCarl

Number of posts : 1109
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by EconoCarl Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:09 am

Big W wrote:I guess there are different reasons for diiferent motors, but the one thing that I think about when it comes to drivelines and such is the availabilty of parts...

Good observation Big W! When I had a 170 the parts were usually on the shelf at most of the area parts stores. Now that I have a 240 (different van) not so much. Parts can generally be had overnight which is no big deal. Apparently the 170 is shared by many more Ford vehicles than the 240 is. I'd be willing to bet that all SBF or SBC parts can be found even in the smallest of towns (that have parts stores! Smile )
    organ grinder

Number of posts : 149
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

Post by organ grinder Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:40 am

kgdb wrote:Late 60's, early 70's 2V 302 (F) was about 210 hp, the late 60's 302 (J) was aprox 230 - 250 hp all day long. An early 90's GT boasted 230 + hp and gobs of tree trunk pulling torque. Each to their own but make mine a V8 any day. Very Happy

kgdb

Damn Kevin, hard to beat the sound of that healthy V8 you have there. I LIKE!!!!
    BTW did I hear a gear drive in there? That '28 Pick Up is looking Sweet also.

OG

kgdb
    kgdb

Number of posts : 266
    Registration date : 2009-12-03

Post by kgdb Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:53 am

organ grinder wrote:
    kgdb wrote:Late 60's, early 70's 2V 302 (F) was about 210 hp, the late 60's 302 (J) was aprox 230 - 250 hp all day long. An early 90's GT boasted 230 + hp and gobs of tree trunk pulling torque. Each to their own but make mine a V8 any day. Very Happy

kgdb

Damn Kevin, hard to beat the sound of that healthy V8 you have there. I LIKE!!!!
    BTW did I hear a gear drive in there? That '28 Pick Up is looking Sweet also.

OG

Thanks OG, I seriously considered a gear drive as I have used them in the past many times. As the cab of this thing will be noisy enough I opted against it for this one. The 28 rpu has a 302 and c4 and is a real treat to bomb around in. Thanks

kgdb
    ramian09
    ramian09

Number of posts : 167
    Registration date : 2010-01-26

Post by ramian09 Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:22 pm

I know this is off topic but i was wondering what all you did to soup up your 240 vanishing. I too like 20+ miles to the gallon. From one of the pictures it looked like you had a stock manifold on it is is that correct?

Post by Guest Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:39 pm

ramian09 wrote:I know this is off topic but i was wondering what all you did to soup up your 240 vanishing. I too like 20+ miles to the gallon. From one of the pictures it looked like you had a stock manifold on it is is that correct?
    That pic is of my 200ci in my 65 van. The 240 is Clifford performances 6=8 kit. That includes their headers, cam, pistons, roller rockers etc. boring 60 over, milling the heads .060,larger valves, polish and port etc. with an Edelbrock 500 carb, and cold air intake.
    ramian09
    ramian09

Number of posts : 167
    Registration date : 2010-01-26

Post by ramian09 Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:01 am

Wow that 240 must purr. What kind of gas milage does it get. That carb is a four barrel right? And if so what manifold do you have on there and did you have to modify the dog house? I am looking to up grade to a better carb and manifold but I still want to get decent gas milage so I was thinking maybe a two barrel.

Post by Guest Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:13 am

yes it is a four barrel. I have an Offenhauser intake. You need to add a box to the side of the DH So it will fit. Pretty easy to do. The Econo It will be going in still needs new wiring and a bunch of other stuff before it can be driven so I won't know the actual mileage but Clifford Performance estimates around 17. The truck only weighs 2100 pounds

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 6:11 am