VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+6
jrinaman
Digz
G-Man
whopman
Lazarusvan
m1dadio
10 posters

REAR DIFF AND AXLE BEARING FAILURE

m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

rear diff cover gasket - REAR DIFF AND AXLE BEARING FAILURE Empty REAR DIFF AND AXLE BEARING FAILURE

Post by m1dadio Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:57 am

By far the single most common cause of rear differential premature wear, axle and axle bearing failure is do to incorrect gasket and /or diff cover installation.

You think: “how hard can it be!! Its only ten bolts and a simple gasket?” and you come home with your $4.95 made in china gasket and a made in china one size fits all ten bolt chrome diff cover. Then wonder why the rear end needs major work ten thousand miles later.

Many do not realize the diff cover and the gasket are a very critical part of the rear end’s lubrication system. It works like this. The ring gear rotates and throws oil onto the rear cover. That oil runs down two channels stamped in the cover to two Carrier bearing oil feed holes on the either side of the diff housing. The oil going into those holes feeds the carrier bearings, some of the oil spills into the axle tubes to flow out and lubricate the outboard axle bearings but most of that oil returns to the diff sump.

Here are the side Carier bearing lubrication holes. Another commun mistake is using silicone or some other liquid gasket maker that plugs up the lubrication ports.

rear diff cover gasket - REAR DIFF AND AXLE BEARING FAILURE 13027210

These channels stamped in the biff cover are there to direct the oil splashing off the ring gear down to those side bearings threw those two 1/2" dia holes.
    rear diff cover gasket - REAR DIFF AND AXLE BEARING FAILURE 34101210

A factory design gasket will have "controlled Sized openings" specifict to that rear ends design to allow the oil to feed at the correct rate. (not too much, not too little)

rear diff cover gasket - REAR DIFF AND AXLE BEARING FAILURE Trd-9010

Here is an example of the one size fitts all 10 bolt chrome diff covers some sales person might tell you is the correct replacement because his sales list says so. Notice it does not have the oil feed channels, thats because its cheeper to make without them.

rear diff cover gasket - REAR DIFF AND AXLE BEARING FAILURE 877e_110

Here is that $4.98 gasket with no oil conrol holes punched because its cheeper to make. This will garrantee the side bearings will prematurly wear , get loose and cause the gears to wear and become noisy. And this gasket will prety much garrantee no lubrication to the axle bearings.

rear diff cover gasket - REAR DIFF AND AXLE BEARING FAILURE Mrg-8410

You can get good aftermarket chrome diff covers that are built properly for the the rear end you have. But its up to you to know what your buying.

M1D
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Number of posts : 1293
    Registration date : 2011-02-22

rear diff cover gasket - REAR DIFF AND AXLE BEARING FAILURE Empty Re: REAR DIFF AND AXLE BEARING FAILURE

Post by Lazarusvan Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:41 am

Michel, thanks for posting this. I am addressing a leak in this area tomorrow and would not have known. Can you suggest the proper place to find the gasket (and chrome cover) part and anything else important that should be done when this is apart such as a wholesale replacement of the bearings? Thx.

rear diff cover gasket - REAR DIFF AND AXLE BEARING FAILURE Differ10
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

rear diff cover gasket - REAR DIFF AND AXLE BEARING FAILURE Empty Re: REAR DIFF AND AXLE BEARING FAILURE

Post by m1dadio Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:33 pm

All you need to know when buying a gasket is what is shown here. As for a chrome biff cover. Its hard to find a properly stamped out one for the 8.2" ten bolt. There is several different chrome stampings availible and lots of supliers will stock one and say it fits all ten bolts. Which in of itself is not a big lie because it will f
    "fit on" but just not do what it is suposed to do.

If you can find a chrome one the same shape as what you have then you are in business. They just get dirty and begin to rust anyway. Your probobly better off to give yours a good paint job.

M1D
    whopman
    whopman

Number of posts : 387
    Registration date : 2010-04-01

Post by whopman Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:55 pm

I agree with m1 you are better off cleaning yours and shooting it with silver gloss paint and call it a day...I have a chrome one on my 54 truck that has not seen the road yet and it is already showing signs of rust...plus the aftermarket chrome ones are not as sturdy as the original ones.
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:19 pm

What about the bearings? Is that something that should be done while in there or is it not a big thing to do another time when truly bad?
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:31 pm

I have heard about the right Diff. cover before, but never would have thought to check the gasket. This is great infor that will save alot of guy's problems down the road. Thanks for posting this M1dadio
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:02 pm

Lazarusvan wrote:What about the bearings? Is that something that should be done while in there or is it not a big thing to do another time when truly bad?
    Might be different schools of thought on this, but if it isn't giving you any grief right now I'd wait until it was needed, you can get a kit for the whole thing way cheaper than piece mealing it a couple bearings ata time. And it is much easier to have the entire rear axle out from under the van to work on it in my opinion. BUT it might be a good time to check the axle bearing surfaces out?
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Post by m1dadio Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:09 pm

Lazarusvan: you would not touch those bearings unless you had to. Not just any mechanic but somebody with expirience knowlege and special tools can change the bearings when they are needed. Re-assembling a rear end (so it works right and quiet) is alot more involved then you might think.

M1D

what Digz said.
    If all your attending to is a leak then leave the rest alone.
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:22 am

I've decided there is no reason I can't fix this issue myself. It is leaking for sure. Outside of the gasket, is there anything else that would cause the leak? If not, I want to do it myself unless there is more than meets the eye. I can certainly unbolt ten bolts and put a gasket in place.

Would someone mind telling me exactly what I need beyond the gasket, i.e. what sealant to use and exactly where to place the sealer. Both sides of the gasket? etc.

jrinaman
    jrinaman

Number of posts : 890
    Registration date : 2011-03-10

Post by jrinaman Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:39 pm

thanks for the heads up m1. never knew about the "universal" covers creating a problem. i did know they rust overnight and leak if you dont sand the chrome off the gasket surface. lazurasvan, some say no permatex, others swear by it. regardless, you want both surfaces clean. scrape old gasket with a blade or wire wheel, sand surfaces until shiny. spread a THIN bead of sealer on cover and spread around with finger to smooth out, dont get too close to holes m1 mentioned. let it tack for a minute or two and set gasket on cover, drop bolts threw gasket to align gasket and lightly press gasket in place. do the same thin bead on rear and spread smooth, let it tack up for a couple minutes. carefully put cover in place and install bolts loose, dont tighten yet, just enough to put preasure on gasket and sealer. let set 10-15 minutes and tighten bolts evanly, every bolt snug, then a couple turns on each, then a couple more until tight. torque wrench would be nice but not critical. remove plug and add fluid to top of fill hole. check fluid and retighten in a week.
    whopman
    whopman

Number of posts : 387
    Registration date : 2010-04-01

Post by whopman Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:16 am

felpro gasket part number RDS550281 rock auto has it listed for under 5 bucks you should be able to pick it up at a local auto store ...
    veefre
    veefre

Number of posts : 424
    Registration date : 2008-09-10

Post by veefre Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:03 pm

Who needs a chrome diff cover to begin with?

I had fun bead blasting and then powder coating the original one.

And yes, I had deduced the purpose of those features on the cover, and the oil slots in the replacement gasket (US made)...

rear diff cover gasket - REAR DIFF AND AXLE BEARING FAILURE P1000512
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Post by m1dadio Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:59 pm

looks nice!

M1D
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:38 pm

This is EXACTLY WHY we need this Forum.Information that most dont know or able to find out = Thanx M1D. now -ill add = how many of us even check that rear end lube after weve purchased that van or even on a yearly basis?This kind of info & check can save us Hundreds & maybe even thousands of bucks . = cheers
    langan
    langan

Number of posts : 51
    Registration date : 2010-05-22

Post by langan Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:49 am

Does anyone have the rear end dim. from drum face to drum face? I am looking to build a van and cleaning out old ford 9" housings but don't want to get rid of something I may use in build...Thanks
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:54 am

I would want someone to confirm this with an accurate measurement. but I'm thinking 63-1/2 inches outside to outside on the drum face. I just did a quick tape measure shot awhile back on one and thats what I figured it at.
    langan
    langan

Number of posts : 51
    Registration date : 2010-05-22

Post by langan Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:26 pm

Thanks that helps I will keep from 62-64 with housings
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Number of posts : 823
    Registration date : 2009-01-08

Post by mbasaraba Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:37 am

I posted in my build showcase with questions on the rear end but maybe I can get a reply since there were people here that might be able to give me an answer.

I am replacing all the rear end bearings but having issues. If anyone can help please see my post on last page at link.

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t25950p45-1964-g10-panel-in-alabama

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:54 am