VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+10
Rayallen
DanTheVanMan
BILLS66
itruns
G-Man
slowflapper
back2thewoods
EconoCarl
Linoman
Lazarusvan
14 posters

HECK YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Number of posts : 1293
    Registration date : 2011-02-22

HECK YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Empty HECK YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Lazarusvan Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:02 am

The eagle has landed...

HECK YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! New_va10

HECK YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! New_va11

"Dog House" inspection

HECK YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Doghou10

Canine approved!!!!!!!

HECK YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Satifi10

Last edited by Lazarusvan on Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:15 am; edited 3 times in total
    Linoman
    Linoman

Number of posts : 329
    Registration date : 2010-06-14

HECK YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Empty Re: HECK YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Linoman Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:06 am

Congratulations on a safe delivery.
    EconoCarl
    EconoCarl

Number of posts : 1109
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

HECK YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Empty Re: HECK YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by EconoCarl Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:26 am

Lookin' good Lazarusvan!
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:25 am

Thanks, guys. After inspection in person, this is almost certainly getting painted. Most likely a deep green.

The delivery driver is great and reasonable. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him. He will go anywhere. This was the only car on his load from the Big Easy to Charleston. He's taking an empty trailer up to New Jersey.

The good news (I think) is there are things to be done, details to work on to get it tip top, so we will get to make our own mark and take this to another level. Our main needs were converted auto and a solid body. We will likely change out the carpeted walls and possibly replace some of the wood behind it. I believe we will have to recarpet the floors after removing the raised floor since it doesn't run under all parts.

Passenger window is a bear to roll up! Not sure if it needs a regulator or what, but it feels like I will break it off trying to roll it back up.

Started right up after pulling choke all the way out. It rides nicely and will get up and go. Definitely won't be tailgating anyone with the lack of power brakes! We haven't gotten on the hwy since we don't have a tag.

This is a little louder than our Japanese vehicles...

I think the speedo is off about 5-10mph based on feel.

Didn't know it had a foot gas pedal! Cool

We are going to do away with the raised floor, so if anyone wants it and can pick it up, it's yours for free. We are at zip 29464. We like it but we can't effectively load from the rear with it in place.

Thanks to everyone for all the help in answering questions the past 8 months. I joined this site the end of February.

An extra big thanks to Dan the Van Man for all his personal help and genuine interest, G-Man for all his for sale posts and help via PM's, Twin Pilot for answering so many questions, Rod and everyone else on this site who grew up with a wrench in their pocket for helping a van dummy find "The One." This is one humble site with incredibly helpful folks!
    back2thewoods
    back2thewoods

Number of posts : 842
    Registration date : 2008-05-26

Post by back2thewoods Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:50 am

congrads. looks clean, keep us posted.

Post by Guest Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:31 am

The van looks great. Congrats.
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:29 pm

congrats Smile it looks like a solid van inside and out, looking forward to more picts as you get them.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:30 pm

Wife approved & puppy approved, can't get better than that
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:01 pm

Congrats! It took my wife a year and a half before she would even sit in the van she called "Scary" Shocked
    BILLS66
    BILLS66

Number of posts : 1383
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by BILLS66 Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:29 pm

It's True Earlys Rule !!! Bill
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:30 pm

Congrat's Lee!!!!! The search is over and the enjoyment begins!!! cheers

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

HECK YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:39 pm

Thanks again to all. Excited indeed. I've taken a bunch of photos for which I'd love feedback. Do not fear telling it like it is. I'm curious whether the rust on the underside needs addressing. It look like it could become a problem down the line. If you note good things, I'd like to know.

I plan on taking this whole body down to bare metal and have it done by a pro. The paint is good. It's the condition that wouldn't scare you go scuff it. You can see it peeling a little around the headlight edges and other similar places. I'm trying to figure out if the French tailight area is bondo as it has some crackling there as well. Need to put a magnet to it.

Speedometer doesn't work properly. He said he just installed it three weeks ago and the plastic toothed gears aren't aligned properly or somethng to that affect. I've read several threads previously addressing this.

I know this isn't likely a big deal and is normal on an old car, but it does leak oil. I'm showing that as soon as I can post photos hoping you all might have suggestions. It appears to have a leak from the doghouse area around one of the areas where a hose meets the passenger side of the engine.

It's the little things you don't expect like oil leaks, bondo and tricky windows that need to be addressed. I usually ask all the questions. In any regard, no regrets, just the "expected unexpected" that I need to learn to do myself.

Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:41 pm

Leak near center of van

HECK YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Van111

Red area is greasy

HECK YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Van212

Wet oil

https://i.servimg.com/u/f42/16/72/90/44/van310.jpg" alt=""/>
    https://i.servimg.com/u/f42/16/72/90/44/van910.jpg" alt=""/>

Bushing. Replacement necessary?

HECK YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Van_411

Leak off engine

HECK YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Van510

Dripping oil

HECK YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Van1210

Oil

HECK YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Van1310

HECK YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Van610

Front floorboards look good

HECK YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Van710

HECK YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Van810

HECK YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Van911

HECK YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Van1010

HECK YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Van1110

HECK YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Van1311

HECK YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Van1410

HECK YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Van1510

BONDO

HECK YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Van1610

Rayallen
    Rayallen

Number of posts : 648
    Registration date : 2011-06-27

Post by Rayallen Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:21 pm

very nice, congrats.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:16 pm

Find someone to sandblast your undercarriage and then spray it with some eastwoods rust converter or something like that. Most it not all that rust will blast right off and the rust converter will get where you can't blast
    Donn
    Donn

Number of posts : 692
    Registration date : 2009-04-05

Post by Donn Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:00 pm

( dripping oil)Looks like trans fluid leaking..
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:18 pm

Remote starter solenoid ,thats a good thing. Leaks ya just gotta chase down and fix as you can. Oil film around the PCV is pretty common. Crusty drag link ,, no biggie if there is no play in it. Pretty darn nice lookin van all round.
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:42 pm

G-Man wrote:Find someone to sandblast your undercarriage and then spray it with some eastwoods rust converter or something like that. Most it not all that rust will blast right off and the rust converter will get where you can't blast

G-Man, my father in law has a sand blaster, so could likely do that myself. After the blasting and rust converter, what's the next step to prevent futher rust? I wouldn't mind it being pretty when it's protected from further rust.
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:45 pm

Donn wrote:( dripping oil)Looks like trans fluid leaking..

Agreed.

A concern other than the driveway? (theirs and mine...) Is this a major item to address in terms of time and effort?

Post by Guest Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:00 pm

im having my van hauled to me this week from arizona. it will be here monday or tuesday i cant wait. your van looks really good ill post some pics when i get mine
    southern man
    southern man

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-05-21

Post by southern man Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:28 pm

Nice van! I was just in Charleston today.

Post by Guest Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:30 pm

Southern man those side pipes are freaking awesome

Post by Guest Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:53 pm

after rust converter I use rust inhibitor and then some sort of undercoating like Rhino liner or body armor.
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:59 pm

southern man wrote:Nice van! I was just in Charleston today.

Thanks. Did you see the Gamecock mobile Econoline I posted Sat in the "I seen a van?" Don't know if he's from COLA, but he was at the game.

Last edited by Lazarusvan on Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:08 pm; edited 3 times in total
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:01 pm

ThePlumber wrote:im having my van hauled to me this week from arizona. it will be here monday or tuesday i cant wait. your van looks really good ill post some pics when i get mine

Plumber man, that's a nice van you have coming. I looked at that and was going to check into before finding mine. Can't wait to see LOTS of photos.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 6:11 am