VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
kiwimopar
Twinpilot001
oo3
7 posters

a100 denso alt ?

oo3

Number of posts : 290
    Registration date : 2008-06-01

a100 denso alt ? Empty a100 denso alt ?

Post by oo3 Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:08 pm

anyone converted to denso alt - http://slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28160 -
    when i sold the 66 i robbed the alt from my 69 so i could do so - in retrospect i should have either taken money off or had the 66 one rebuilt and put back in - anyway i now have a denso alt per the article - i have it in temp - the article mentions having to shave app 1/8 off the mount - well i have to guess it would be more like a good 1/4" and i dont feel comfortable taking that much off - so what would you do? - modify existing bracket? - make new bracket - the pic included slightly exaggerates the angle and there is clearance between pulley and fan -
    2nd - would this off align cause low idle low charge - that is at a low idle i measure app just under 13 - any higher idle or operation and up to app 14.3 - oo3 a100 denso alt ? DSCN2235
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

a100 denso alt ? Empty Re: a100 denso alt ?

Post by Twinpilot001 Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:35 pm

[iOffset =will not effect the charging rate- space the fan out ( behind the Black pulley) as needed-or- make a new bracket?
    kiwimopar
    kiwimopar

Number of posts : 753
    Registration date : 2010-01-23

Post by kiwimopar Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:40 pm

Twinpilot001 wrote:[iOffset =will not effect the charging rate- space the fan out ( behind the Black pulley) as needed-or- make a new bracket?

If he spaces out that black pulley, won't the fan be dangerously close to the radiator? For another $100 or so you could get a decent one wire alternator (Powermaster or similar) and bolt right on?
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:46 pm

kiwimopar wrote:
    Twinpilot001 wrote:[iOffset =will not effect the charging rate- space the fan out ( behind the Black pulley) as needed-or- make a new bracket?

If he spaces out that black pulley, won't the fan be dangerously close to the radiator? For another $100 or so you could get a decent one wire alternator (Powermaster or similar) and bolt right on?

Plus wouldn't that throw off the belt alignment with the crankshaft? I agree custom bracket... might also have to shave a bit off the lower ear on the alt.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

a100 denso alt ? Empty alt spacing??

Post by Twinpilot001 Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:29 pm

[i]from the pics - we cannot tell how much offset is there ???? As stated -looks worse than it is -so How much space is available or needed?? Many -cannot afford to have the cash layout from time to time? I do agree a proper alt & bracket would be the solution-yet always look for the lest expensive ways to do the mods. Working with whats available & can be done the easiest?? =Happy Vannin
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:20 pm

I would prefer to grind on the alt. rather than the bracket.
    You can find a replacement alt, but those brackets are tougher to find.
    Did you update all the charging system wiring and components to handle double or triple the output? Did you include circuit protection so if/when something happens, it won't catch fire?
    oo3

Post by oo3 Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:19 pm

if i take a 1/4" off the alt mount thats maybe 1/2 of the mount - i dont feel comfortable with that - i may be wrong - that would be probably the easiest solution - i could make up a bracket or i thought of widening the mount slots on existing bracket, but i also dont really like the thought of modifying the only bracket i have - the wiring has been updated as a po put in a electronic ign and put those components and a solid state reg etc in a box behind the drivers seat - i would have to look closer to see what kind of wire etc was used - yes i should have additional circuit protection - and i will - however i would prefer a fuse or circuit breaker rather than fusible link - i really think this could be a viable alt and they are plentiful in junkyards - i had planed on doing away with the amp meter at some point anyway - prefer a volt measure - oo3
    oo3

Post by oo3 Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:51 pm

denso alt in and aligned - and was able to adapt tension-er -
    a100 denso alt ? DSCN2250
    oo3
    equium
    equium

Number of posts : 107
    Registration date : 2011-04-25

Post by equium Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:58 am

I have recently been looking into alternators for my slant 6 as well. I pulled the bad motor from my project and removed the alternator. After reading posts, I inspected my bracket and noticed it had been modified by the PO. I can see a few weld spots on it. There is a small crack that i'll have my (welder) buddy take a look at. I checked the alternator that came from the original motor. It was not the stock. I checked the numbers on it and found 3438180. An internet search revealed it's application to be from a 70's + mopar and 60 amp. Autozone was able to find the number and has them in stock and theirs is rated at 65 amps. I mocked up the old alternator and bracket to the rebuilt slant 6 on my stand and the pully matched up perfectly. I guess i got lucky. The alternator i have now is a single pully, but AZ stated that theirs is a double. My rebuilt motor came from a 70's barracuda and has 3 pullys on the crankshaft, more than I need. I'm thinking that if I can pull this off, i'll use 2 belts to my alternator. (I'll be running an electric fan with the new FSR radiator i'll be getting soon, so I wont have any fan clearance issues, knock on wood)
    equium
    equium

Post by equium Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:23 pm

equium wrote:I have recently been looking into alternators for my slant 6 as well. I pulled the bad motor from my project and removed the alternator. After reading posts, I inspected my bracket and noticed it had been modified by the PO. I can see a few weld spots on it. There is a small crack that i'll have my (welder) buddy take a look at. I checked the alternator that came from the original motor. It was not the stock. I checked the numbers on it and found 3438180. An internet search revealed it's application to be from a 70's + mopar and 60 amp. Autozone was able to find the number and has them in stock and theirs is rated at 65 amps. I mocked up the old alternator and bracket to the rebuilt slant 6 on my stand and the pully matched up perfectly. I guess i got lucky. The alternator i have now is a single pully, but AZ stated that theirs is a double. My rebuilt motor came from a 70's barracuda and has 3 pullys on the crankshaft, more than I need. I'm thinking that if I can pull this off, i'll use 2 belts to my alternator. (I'll be running an electric fan with the new FSR radiator i'll be getting soon, so I wont have any fan clearance issues, knock on wood)
    OK. just got back from AZ and the alternator they had on the shelf was a new design with double pullys. We looked a 2 different styles with double pullys and they did not align. I ordered the 50 amp that their system called for with the single pully. In the meantime, can anyone provide a part number that I can use. I'll keep checking around. thanks
    (they tested my alt and it was bad)
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by jkr Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:35 pm

the denso alternator pulley looks to be a larger size than what a stock 50 or 65 amp alternator would have. that will cause a low charge situation at idle as it spins slower than normally would.bigger pulley on alternator should take longer to make 1 revoultion than stock.
    equium
    equium

Post by equium Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:49 pm

I just measured the pully on my bad alternator and it's a 3 inch. AZ said their system does not show the pully diameter, so i'll have to see it when it arrives. very good point about the diameter. I just happen to run into a local guy at a swap meet that has an alternator/starter rebuild shop. Maybe someone is trying to send me a sign. lol

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Sep 16, 2024 1:34 pm