VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

pick up bed mods

pick up bed mods Empty pick up bed mods

Post by Guest Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:13 pm

Trying to think what be look best doing the bed in birds eye maple with diamond plat on the side front and back of the bed. diamond plate the entire bed or carpet the entire bed with the same carpet I am using in the cab. I plan to have a cover either fiberglass or vinyl co most of the time the bed would not be seen. Mostly it would be seen at car shows only so birds eye maple at a cost of over $3200.00 maybe out. The same with the diamond plate. If I do the carpet I may put benches over the wheel wells from front to rear that open up to store a few things and maybe a small table that can be easily removed. Here the city will allow people to ride in the bed at cruises so my older grand kids could ride in the back. I am leaning more and more towards the carpet especially since I won't ever haul anything in the truck. Thoughts are appreciated.
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

pick up bed mods Empty Re: pick up bed mods

Post by DanTheVanMan Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:21 pm

Personally Mike I like the idea of Birds-eye and Diamond plate on the sides. Think that would look "Top-Shelf" and would give a truly amazing look at shows. You could also make some removable "Box Benches" for both sides covering the wheel wells completely covered with the same carpet (Top, Sides, Back & Bottom) to protect the wood and Plating. And maybe some cushions that match the seats in the cab. This would give you the best of both!

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

pick up bed mods Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    63chevyvan?

Number of posts : 125
    Registration date : 2010-01-16

Post by 63chevyvan? Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:57 pm

Dupli Color black bed liner for me. I'm putting it on today. I followed all the instructions, hope sticks. Yeah, I know I'm cheap.

dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8732
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:41 pm

carpet the walls on the floor the high ribs diamond plate the low ribs wood just a hair lower than the diamond plate paint the floor the truck color. then install the wood using the painted floor for the border then the diamond plate . both the wood and the diamond plate would be cut a little small so the painted floor gives the border on each product used .also stainless screws or bolts. i think that will draw some attenion....
    oo3

Number of posts : 290
    Registration date : 2008-06-01

Post by oo3 Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:19 pm

i like wood so you know what my choice would be - if i recall you have birdseye in the interior so that is why you are thinking same in bed? - otherwise there are some nice choices in exterior hardwood deck material one could use - or sticking with the birdseye, since you are going to keep it covered what about a sheet of real wood veneer over a stable substrate - maybe finish it with that 2 part finish like they use on bar tops etc - ( i forget the name ) - oo3

Post by Guest Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:27 pm

I already have the bed sprayed with Liquid armor so I don't need the Duplicolor. The birds eye maple will look elegant and probably look the best but I keep thing $3200.00 for the kit is a bit much. It does come with polished stainless strips which would look great and polished diamond plate on the sides would be a big plus or maybe mirrored stainless on the sides. But if I do that I won't want anyone climbing around in it. That wood is just way to expensive for that. The carpet would be my second choice and would be far cheaper and would allow for people to sit in the back and would be easy to clean. All diamond would look good , not cost an arm and a leg but would be very hot here in the summer and again I wouldn't want anyone in the back scratching up the diamond plate. The air conditioning will be over $2200.00 installed and the air ride suspension will be over $3000.00 so just those and the birds eye maple would be over $8400.00 which is more than a lot of folks spend on restoring a whole truck. Add over $2000.00 for interior, $12000.00_ for a paint job, $3000.00 for the motor, $1200.00 for the sound system plus all the rest of the new parts and misc other mods and you are talking well over $20,000.00.

Post by Guest Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:31 pm

oo3 wrote:i like wood so you know what my choice would be - if i recall you have birds eye in the interior so that is why you are thinking same in bed? - otherwise there are some nice choices in exterior hardwood deck material one could use - or sticking with the birds eye, since you are going to keep it covered what about a sheet of real wood veneer over a stable substrate - maybe finish it with that 2 part finish like they use on bar tops etc - ( i forget the name ) - oo3
    You are correct on the birds eye maple. Your suggestion is definitely viable and would look good. That way I could do the sides etc in the same and it would all tie in nicely. Thanks for that suggestion, I will definitely give it a lot of thought. Maybe Use polished stainless as trim on the edges etc. too.

Post by Guest Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:42 pm

Dix I like your suggestion of using stainless bolts and screws. I am replacing most bolts, nuts washers and screws on the truck with stainless steel ones. I don't ever want to have to deal with rust if I can help it.
    Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Number of posts : 1422
    Registration date : 2009-12-02

Post by Magic Bus Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:16 pm

dix wrote:carpet the walls on the floor the high ribs diamond plate the low ribs wood just a hair lower than the diamond plate paint the floor the truck color. then install the wood using the painted floor for the border then the diamond plate . both the wood and the diamond plate would be cut a little small so the painted floor gives the border on each product used .also stainless screws or bolts. i think that will draw some attenion....

That sounds pretty cool, Id sure like to see that done!

Post by Guest Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:28 pm

Post by Guest Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:31 pm

This stuff sounds good too. I am thinking the marine finish.
    oo3

Number of posts : 290
    Registration date : 2008-06-01

Post by oo3 Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:20 pm

that seems to be the stuff - i converted a furniture buffet and a chest of drawers into bath vanities and finished the tops with the 2 part finish - i happened to use what they had at micheals which is envirotex brand - if they use this stuff on bar tops it has to with stand a lot of abuse - it is also the same stuff you may have seen some people cut a slice of a tree and have a clear finsh on it - a nice big size sheet of real wood veneer is not to expensive - oo3

Post by Guest Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:54 pm

I have used something like it in the past. I made a coffee table with a false bottom to hold my Thompson sub-machine gun, Tech nines. Mac 10s and M16 and on the top I put a big puzzle I had put together, glued it on then covered the top with the epoxy. It lasts for a long time.

Post by Guest Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:45 pm

I did an internet search and found a site that offers birds eye maple real wood veneer 4x8 sheets for $399.00. A much better price than the $3200.00 kit. Now thinking that is the way to go and build the benches as stated before and cover them with carpet. Maybe get the stainless strips to make it look like it is separate boards rather than a whole sheet. It would only take one sheet that way while if I covered the sides of the bed and benches it would probably take 4 sheets

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 7:10 am