VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+7
Nightmoves
itruns
RipVanArkie
sasktrini
savage
benwah
G-Man
11 posters

Chain steering wheels

Chain steering wheels Empty Chain steering wheels

Post by Guest Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:10 pm

Anyone know where I can get a chain steering wheel or know how to make one?

I like the large flat style of my wheel, but I'd love a chain one. I'm thinking of taking a badly cracked spare one I have and cutting the rim off it and experimenting. Anyone done this before?

I don't want a small tall one, I need a large flat one like my original. I'm thinking I would cut a piece of plywood to the right diameter then use it to wrap chain around as I weld each link. Then somehow fit it to the hub with the original spokes or make chain spokes.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Chain steering wheels Empty Re: Chain steering wheels

Post by G-Man Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:35 pm

I had the small one years ago and they are hot in the summer and very cold in the winter.

Post by Guest Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:09 am

Grant still makes them. Should be fun steering an early with one of these. Smile

http://www.grantproducts.com/c-21-chain-wheels.aspx

Post by Guest Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:12 am

Ya, that's the kind. They're too small and tall though. I need one bigger, like 17" like my stock wheel and flat.

I guess I'm going to have to try and make one? Good winter project. Or maybe not.
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:02 pm

allways worth a shot, the worst thing you can do is learn something. and ruin a beat up steering wheel . mabee get a wheel off any old clunker to try it on that first .mabee an old volarie or whatever ......
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:08 pm

Yea I hear theres a Volarle you can get cheep in AZ Laughing

Post by Guest Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:30 pm

hahah...funny! I've been thinking a lot about this and I could make a jig the right diameter and wrap the chain around it then weld each link.

I'd have to make the jig exactly the right size so X number of links (totalling 17") will wrap around it nicely, or maybe it adjustable so I can wrap the chain around then stretch it open to hold the chain tight.

Wood might not be the best idea cause the welding will catch it on fire, but metal might weld itself to the chain. A 17" wheel or something like that might work.
    benwah
    benwah

Post by benwah Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:51 am

what are you using for a welder? a good mig with argon gas should be able to do the job with out worry of welding its self to your jig that you make or a 17" rim. an old 3/4 ton truck 60s era used 17" rims or mabee check out some old motor homes, ive seen 17.5 rims on them. use a lot of clamps and take your time. take pictures! is this something your going to chrome or powder coat when finished?

Post by Guest Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:35 am

I need to upgrade my welder...this is a perfect excuse! I have a 4-setting Lincoln wire feed flux core thing. It's good, but not great.

Clamps, there's an excellent idea! So now I'm thinking a ring, like a donut, that I can clamp the chain to.

Excellent ideas!
    benwah
    benwah

Post by benwah Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:08 pm

if you ever want to upgrade the welder im running a lincon sp-135 plus. .030/.8mm wire for steel and .035/.9mm for aluminum, yes you can do anythingwith this unit, well just about .its a great unit im sure miller makes a unit thats compareable, my dad allways ran lincon welders, i have one of his old 225 stick welders i use for frame work and heavy duty applications. id get an old rim off whatever desired size you want, clamp the chain around the lip of the rim and tack the links together.

Post by Guest Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:50 am

Excellent ideas. Yes, that welder sounds good. I've seen a comparable Miller one I think I want.

I was thinking a wood ring that I could screw each link to , to make sure they're all tight, or an old wheel would be work too...less work.

If I get this idea off the ground, I'll be sure to post photos.
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:44 am

Can't you get the gas kit for your lincoln? Mine has the two voltage switches, but came with a gas regulator... love it... good enough for me!

Weld the chain into a loop. take a length of sheet metal long enough to exceed the circumference of your loop, roll it up small enough to allow the loop to fit around it, and then release the tension on the sheet... it would try to straighten to the point that it pulles all the links taut!

Cheers

Post by Guest Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:16 pm

Ya, I was looking a piece of spring steel today that was round...but then I found a tapered tin light fixture, then I got to realizing a steel wheel would work well. They are slightly tapered inside too. For a 17" steering wheel I need a 17" wheel, then I can wrap the chain around until it links and it will rest on the tapered part in the right spot. Then I can screw it down all over, then weld. Something like that.

The light fixture would be perfect, but it was only 16".
    RipVanArkie
    RipVanArkie

Number of posts : 987
    Registration date : 2008-05-13

Post by RipVanArkie Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:50 pm

If you go the wood route, use hardwood and soak it overnight. You will not be in one place long enough to start a fire. Use hickory and you can smoke some bacon while you work then reward yourself with a nice snack! jocolor
    benwah
    benwah

Post by benwah Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:11 am

yummm bacon the most important food group
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:39 am

benwah wrote:yummm bacon the most important food group
    lol!

Post by Guest Tue May 12, 2009 4:19 pm

Well I've got the welder (Miller 140 auto-set) and I bought some chain today. I've already cut and welded it into a circle, just need a jig now. I want to weld the links as close to the inside/back as possible, so now I'm considering a piece of wood with a round circle drawn on it, with tons of 3" screws around in a circle to hold the chain. This will give me room to weld. Pictures coming....

Post by Guest Tue May 12, 2009 5:26 pm

Get some chain (1/4"), cut one link, fit it together, weld it, grind it and now I just have to figure out a round jig!

Chain steering wheels Img_1310

Chain steering wheels Img_1311

Chain steering wheels Img_1312

Chain steering wheels Img_1313

Chain steering wheels Img_1314

Chain steering wheels Img_1315

Chain steering wheels Img_1316
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Tue May 12, 2009 8:07 pm

Sounds like you have a plan. When finished are you going to plate it or powdercoat it???

Post by Guest Wed May 13, 2009 5:59 am

I don't know. The links I bought are zinc plated, does that matter? Would I have to remove that somehow first?

Given the cost, I might just paint it....but chromed would be very nice!

Post by Guest Wed May 13, 2009 6:39 pm

Tonight I made a jig, it was easier than I thought.

I made a makeshift compass and drew a couple of circles on some wood, and used that as a guide for my screws. I had to reposition the screws a few times until the chain was tight. It's about 99% round, good enough for me! I guess this will be the bottom where I will weld it, once done I'll flip it over to attach to the donor steering wheel (minus the rim)

Chain steering wheels Img_1317

Chain steering wheels Img_1318
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Number of posts : 2214
    Registration date : 2008-11-17

Post by Nightmoves Wed May 13, 2009 7:15 pm

Your jig/template looks good,enbro.Was wondering about how the spoke and center piece were gonna tie in.
    I hope you don't hang a ring on those links after a sharp turn.Man that'd hurt!

Post by Guest Wed May 13, 2009 8:04 pm

The jig needs a bit of fine tuning, but I think I'm barking up the right tree here.

I just plan to cut the rim off my donor wheel (shown above on the wood with the chain around it) and cut the plastic off the two spokes, then weld the metal bars to the chain...something like that.

I'm really just flying by the seat of my pants here, never done anything like this! I just know I want a big 17" chain wheel! Smile
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Number of posts : 2214
    Registration date : 2008-11-17

Post by Nightmoves Wed May 13, 2009 8:20 pm

With roughly 92 welds on the outside alone,your gonna be busy for a lil while.lol Never the less,it's gonna be probably a one of a kind,but waaay cool !

Post by Guest Wed May 13, 2009 8:41 pm

Thanks for the feedback! 92 welds?? I might just do one weld per link..not sure yet.

I've been looking at this chain on this wood all night...it's driving me nuts!

I'd really like to keep the links horizontal. In the photo above you'll notice they are tilted. I can't seem to find a way to keep them on exactly a horinzontal plane, but tilted they sit flush against the wood. I might just have to leave them tilted as this is the best way to ensure they all stay in position.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 10:33 pm