VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+5
Twinpilot001
m1dadio
donivan65
G-Man
Lazarusvan
9 posters

PONDERING A '67 HANDI-VAN/NEED INPUT & SUGGESTIONS

Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Number of posts : 1293
    Registration date : 2011-02-22

PONDERING A '67 HANDI-VAN/NEED INPUT & SUGGESTIONS Empty PONDERING A '67 HANDI-VAN/NEED INPUT & SUGGESTIONS

Post by Lazarusvan Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:48 pm

Hey, guys. I've been pondering this van for a week or so since I ran into the owner who I'd heard owned some type of early. It just so happens he is selling. I was informed as well that it's been offered previously on CL for a good bit, but that was prior to my knowing I NEEDED an early.

While I really had my mind set on a first gen Chevy, I keep feeling this might be the right van for me at the right time for a variety of reasons.

First of all, it's a one family van, with the grandson currently being the second owner. He had the tranny and engine rebuilt by the dealership (he knows the owner) after hours, so it was done right. It has less than 2k on the rebuild. It also must have a good setup and he said he ran it up the road on the interstate several times recently a few hours away and drove over the speed limit with no problems.

He also had the paint done by Maaco, but they kept it for two months as he also knows the owner, so it should be really nice and right based on the time they took alone. He said it was a $2500 job, and that was with him knowing the owner. He also had the dash redone, seats recovered, aftermarket glovebox radio and I believe the cargo area is suppossed to be good as well but I haven't any photos.

This gentleman is very well-connected, so anyone doing work for him would want to make sure it was done right.

My business will require some filling up a van from time to time with things as large as sofas, dressers, etc and contents of people's homes, and I am thinking the extended, while not as sexy as shortys, would be the cat's meow in that respect. If anyone can attest to how much a standard wheelbase might hold in terms of furniture in comparison, I'd love to know. I know G-Man liked the extra space recently and I'm wondering if I will run out of space quickly with a short wheel base.

I know it has the dual masters, so I wouldn't have to fork out for that work which I feel is essential safety wise.

Lastly, it's a V-8 auto, less than two hours away, and not a ridiculous price. Auto is a huge plus for me (and wife).

I'd hopefully be getting a driver that I could use right away without having to anything other than figure out why the passenger window won't go down.

Since I'm not planning on doing some of the amazing work I've seen you all do yourselves, I'm thinking that perhaps a ready to go, 2nd Gen might be a better fit, at least for a starter van. Dan has beat into my head how easy Chevy's are to get parts for in terms of capatibility with other cars, so that is also a plus.

A second gen Chevy wouldn't be my second pick in terms of design so that is a down side, but again, I am weighing the factors. Practicality and need is a consideration.

How can I make this thing cool? I'd like a more aggressive, muscular look. I'm not a fan of the current wheels and would likely hot rod them inline w/G-Man's and ditch the white walls. It just looks too pedestrian and work-like in it's current state. I also don't care for the California mirrors (I also wonder if they will fit in a single car garage), but I would think replacing them with some more streamlined babys would leave a hole in an otherwise pristine sheet metal. Any suggestions there? Photos of an alternate, cooler mirror that would fit the holes?

Color wouldn't be my first choice, but it's the color of my Top 25 Gamecocks, so I can make it work.

I haven't seen it in person yet, but I have every reason to believe it's very, very nice. I know the advice is that the right van will find you, and I keep thinking this might it. I'm young enough, so there is no reason I can't get a first gen down the line...

P.S. Is parking a 108" a bitch? I suck at parallel parking as it is...

PONDERING A '67 HANDI-VAN/NEED INPUT & SUGGESTIONS Van_fr10

PONDERING A '67 HANDI-VAN/NEED INPUT & SUGGESTIONS Van_si10

PONDERING A '67 HANDI-VAN/NEED INPUT & SUGGESTIONS Van_in10

Last edited by Lazarusman on Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:06 pm; edited 3 times in total
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

PONDERING A '67 HANDI-VAN/NEED INPUT & SUGGESTIONS Empty Re: PONDERING A '67 HANDI-VAN/NEED INPUT & SUGGESTIONS

Post by Lazarusvan Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:50 pm

PONDERING A '67 HANDI-VAN/NEED INPUT & SUGGESTIONS Van_fr11

PONDERING A '67 HANDI-VAN/NEED INPUT & SUGGESTIONS Van_in11

G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

PONDERING A '67 HANDI-VAN/NEED INPUT & SUGGESTIONS Empty Re: PONDERING A '67 HANDI-VAN/NEED INPUT & SUGGESTIONS

Post by G-Man Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:19 pm

looks like what you have been looking for!!!!! As for parking a 108 in todays stardards is small
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:54 pm

The most important mechanical equipment is to have NEW brake lines and hoses,,,,,,,,,nobody wants you driving around on 45 year old brake parts,,,,,
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:15 am

I remember looking at that van when it was for sale. It is a fine van for sure!

There was these hard to find mirrors

PONDERING A '67 HANDI-VAN/NEED INPUT & SUGGESTIONS Dscn0112

Aside from new brake lines you m ight consider disc brakes.

Post by Guest Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:06 am

For a $2500 paint job, they should have painted inside the doors, dash and cargo also. I have a 68 GMC and I love it, but I am not going to paint it, it will have rusty Patina look to it, I think it catches more eyes than a restored look.
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:43 am

m1dadio wrote:I remember looking at that van when it was for sale. It is a fine van for sure!

There was these hard to find mirrors

PONDERING A '67 HANDI-VAN/NEED INPUT & SUGGESTIONS Dscn0112

Aside from new brake lines you m ight consider disc brakes.

Thanks for the suggestions. Stopping is kind of important. I meant that big expense wise, those items seem to have been done.

Would those mirrors fill up the other holes? I don't know how the mirrors attatch at the top (i.e. are there holes drilled in the top?) If not, than that is fantastic.
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:50 am

G-Man wrote:looks like what you have been looking for!!!!! As for parking a 108 in todays stardards is small

Yea, G-Man, aesthetically might not be what I am looking for as I like the shorter wheel bases, but I also am not a builder.

Price wise, it's not a steal, but it's well worth his price in terms of his investment and slightly less than his original CL asking price. I'd still like it better for less... Very Happy

Another question I have is why does your Chevy have the conical markers up front where this one has flat markers in the grill? Is it just a different year? I know side markers came in on the '68. Could this one take those somehow? I would assume I would have to purchase a grill setup for that shape? I couldn't find anything on Wiki that mentioned that difference.

And, any input on how the Cali mirrors attach up top would be great since I haven't seen the van yet in person.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:59 am

Are talking about the park lens??? They are the same 67-70. You said you want a short wheel base, but you want to use this for business if I remember right. I have a 90" and a 2 108"'s and I have to say there really isn't much room in that 90". If your going to load anything for business the 108 is really the way to go.
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:19 am

G-Man wrote:Are talking about the park lens??? They are the same 67-70. You said you want a short wheel base, but you want to use this for business if I remember right. I have a 90" and a 2 108"'s and I have to say there really isn't much room in that 90". If your going to load anything for business the 108 is really the way to go.

Yes, parking lens, if that is the orange cone on the front grill. I was looking for input on the space differences. I haven't put my eyes on any Early in person other than a window van and I wasn't paying attention to space. If I can't load more than a sofa from time to time, it isn't going to be ideal. The first gen is obviously out in that respect since it wasn't offered as an extended. If it's not a first gen Chevy, than it's a matter of deciding what makes sense.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:08 am

The cone parking lens are on 1st gens, 2nd gens are flat. A big sofa wouldn't fit in a first gen or a 90" 2nd gen
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:29 am

Its all in personal satisfaction as to gen 1 & 2 types. I have a gen 2 -67 1st year of the change - there are some improvements in these over the gen 1's = brakes, engines & such- yet these are things you dont ness need to modify & change. Id eventually like to have a gen 1 also yet happy to have what i do. seems there are so many more econos for sale daily than the gm stuff -?? yet theyve been produced longer - and in time i believe our gm stuff will be worth more that the econos - again in time with availibility? and remember theres the asking price & the I got it price to get it home - the less you have to do dictates the value to you also.
    VanninBlaino
    VanninBlaino

Number of posts : 361
    Registration date : 2011-05-30

Post by VanninBlaino Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:26 am

that's sweet man! If you get it, those wheels with some decals of your buisness on the side in a cool 60's lettering would look awesome.
    delux68

Number of posts : 23
    Registration date : 2010-10-18

Post by delux68 Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:11 pm

to make the mirrors closer to the body loosen the bolts on the top and bottom of the mirror arm, move it forward or back and re-tighten the bolts. then adjust the mirror itself for visability.
    BILLS66
    BILLS66

Number of posts : 1383
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by BILLS66 Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:44 pm

Lazarusman,If your not wanting one that needs hardly any work this is the one .I saw it advertised a while back and thought being turn key that it was a buy. Get a cool lokking set of wheels and tires and youv'e got a cool van to drive. Bill
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:47 pm

I agree you'll never find one that 100% what your looking for, for that you have to make it your own when you get it
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:45 pm

Thanks, guys. This is really a big help. Thanks to Dan as well as he has been my spiritual advisor and has kept me focussed on a First Gen Chevy. I just didn't realize my focus was on a want more than a need for an extended wheel base. If they had just kept the headlights up top, the second gen would be so much cooler...

My wife wants to know if she will be able to reach the pedals. I am 5"4 and she is 5"2. Is that an issue?

Another question: Is there a reason in particular to put wider profile tires in the rear other than for aesthetics? I've had it suggested that it helps with the lack of power steering?

I'm getting fired up. If I could just get it for less....
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:56 pm

smaller tires up front - steerings easier - my wife is 4'11 does fine - as for the headlights up higher -yes i do agree & do love that flat glass w/s

Post by Guest Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:58 pm

i'm not a threat to steal this from you because i'm too far away, but you'd be in trouble if it was my neck of the woods.

with that said, how much is the price?
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:51 pm

ukyah wrote:i'm not a threat to steal this from you because i'm too far away, but you'd be in trouble if it was my neck of the woods.

with that said, how much is the price?

Ukyah, I hear you. I really like the 2nd Gen window van with the stripes that I posted yesterday. (Don't know if that is your speed.) I want to put my business logo on the van and haul stuff, so windows all around aren't practical even though they really call to me. I'm not sure what you are looking for.

As far as price, we haven't gotten down to brass tacks, but I can tell you in my novice experience hanging around this site for a few months that you can find a very, very nice, ready to go (or close to it) van for $6,000-$6500. Those were ready to go examples not appearing to need anything other than some tweaks. I'm sure opportunities for even less can be found.

My personal target price for a van that was mechanically right and only needed painting would have been $4,000 or less. Finding one with a good paint job and color that I can live with, a rebuilt tranny and motor, new dash covering, original ownership and an auto (V-8 to boot!) is worth a bit more.

I can also tell you that I was hot and heavy for a window van before my wife talked me into displays (smartly) and that the one I would have gotten for $6200 (plus transport) or so ended up needing more things that expected, so I would have been disappointed at that price. I am sure it's current owner ( a really fortunate, young guy!) would concur. One of the best things I have learned is not to pay too much and that most people will not be able to sell their vans for the investment they have in them. At least in the current van market.

I've learned that a true, quality paint job will run $2500-$4,000, so you have to factor that in your pricing if that is important.

I've also reconfirmed that I don't want anything to do with a van that has more than a spot of rust as I am not a welder and don't want to pay the bill for that type of work. Rust free is key. A straight body is also a very good thing since body work is expensive. That was the first advice I was ever given. Everything else can be remedied.

We just need to be out West where the selection is ten times as plentiful. I saw several beauties (not necessarily Chevys) that have sold for a good price. An amazing Dodge window van with show quality blue paint and immaculate interior sold for $6,000 in Los Angelos after two price reductions. A recent, good looking red, first gen Chevy window van was listed twice on Ebay and did not bring 5K. Another super example First Gen Chevy with purple show paint sold for $6500, I believe.

I have learned so much by reading, asking questions and watching the For Sale section 80 times a day. I entered this site thinking Dodge A100 window van and finally realized my dream, for fun van is a 1st Gen Chevy panel. I have yet to receive one smart-ass response to even the most "vintage vans for dummies" type of a question. These guys are awesome and love these vans. I've also sent some PM's to some of the guys who obvioulsy lead the pack and make this site special and have gotten prompt, straight forward help every time. If you need advice on price, keeping your head on straight, etc, they will set you right!

The above info is just my novice observations. I am sure if I am off base an expert will correct me. Sorry for the book. I just hope it helps someone else who was like me, a fish totally out of water that fell in love with a freaking van that he saw cruising down the road. So much so that he followed the guy to the gas station and inside to find out what the hell he was driving!

It may be a week or so before I see this in person and decide if the right van has found me, so I will keep you posted!

Post by Guest Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:45 pm

Gmc Vans are rare and will only go up in value, go for it!

NADAguides.com - The power of vehicle information

1968 GMC G1500
    1/2 Ton Handi-van

Pricing
    Original
    MSRP Low
    Retail Average
    Retail High
    Retail
    $2,306 $4,625 $10,000 $17,400
    Options: (add options)
    6 Cylinder Engine -10% -10% -10%
    TOTAL PRICE $2,306 $4,163 $9,000 $15,660
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:14 pm

Leepogo sadly getting what that book says is a different story, over the years never seen a stock GMC in mint condition bring $17,000
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:48 pm

Hey, guys. I'm finally going to look at this van tomorrow morning. I plan on taking lots of photos. I've never driven an old car or van. What should I look for other than, of course, rust? It has no power brakes or steering, so it's pretty standard. The engine was rebuilt (I found out it's longer ago than he had remembered. Whatever that means.) It's a V-8 auto with what I am sure is the powerglide tranny.

Any help and things to test (and how to test them either idle or while driving) would be great. Common things I am thinking about are the steering box and whatever "bump steer" is and other items I read that need addressing on older vans.

The only thing I know that isn't working is the passenger window.

He is suppossed to have all the paper work on what was done to the van since he's owned it. I want to pass along good info regardless if it's not the van for me. I am just as curious as I am serious to get behind the wheel of a a vehicle created 5 years before my birth.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:13 pm

Brakes!! Thats most likely a good one =a one owner? Will take u a little getting used to due to braking, seating position and driveability. Give it some time to wear in on you. You will enjoy-Happy Vannin
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:13 pm

Good luck Lee. Hope this work out for you. I know you have been searching for some time. And post lots of pic's when you get back.

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

PONDERING A '67 HANDI-VAN/NEED INPUT & SUGGESTIONS Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 11:00 pm