VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

under dash AC unit

G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

under dash AC unit Empty under dash AC unit

Post by G-Man Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:14 pm

Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Number of posts : 1293
    Registration date : 2011-02-22

under dash AC unit Empty Re: under dash AC unit

Post by Lazarusvan Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:08 pm

Hey, G-Man or A/C expert, Twin-Pilot (or anyone else that might know...) Would this setup be pretty feasible for most of the vans on this site? That is what I have in mind as oppossed to those big things on the roof. And, would it work worth a crap in terms of effectiveness to cool a shorty or possibly extended van?
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

under dash AC unit Empty yes

Post by Twinpilot001 Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:41 pm

answer=YES!!-----Yet u will need all the new R134 stuff also to make this work, compressor & such- Im installing an underdash unit from a 72 chev pickup-was an dealer add on. and a rear unit from a late model van also - just more hoses to add .
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Number of posts : 1293
    Registration date : 2011-02-22

Post by Lazarusvan Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:45 pm

Twinpilot001 wrote:answer=YES!!-----Yet u will need all the new R134 stuff also to make this work, compressor & such- Im installing an underdash unit from a 72 chev pickup-was an dealer add on. and a rear unit from a late model van also - just more hoses to add .

What else would it need to work? A compressor? Seems so cheap, can't be all one needs other than the install. Damn, you beat me to the question. It was posted as soon as I typed the rest. Thanks for the edit update.
    VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1046
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

under dash AC unit Empty Impala AC unit

Post by VANagain Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:25 pm

Here's a photo of the perfect under-dash AC for a 1st Gen Chevy van. This is in a 62 or 63 Impala, which used the same knobs as 1st Gens, so it would be a perfect match. Since this AC unit has those knobs I'm assuming it was a factory or dealer option? (Or maybe the owner just swapped the knobs to match.)

under dash AC unit Dscn3410

BTW, we can get new reproduction knobs for 1st Gen Chevy vans as well as Corvair vans from Impala catalogs like Classic Industries. I'll probably end up buying a repro cigarette lighter from them. They sell two different ones. The second one looks better: 1, 2

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:09 am