VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+9
toad
bumpbug
itruns
bugeye bob
DanTheVanMan
Vanish
chester42
dix
Lazarusvan
13 posters

Automatic or manual? If so, why?

Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Number of posts : 1293
    Registration date : 2011-02-22

Automatic or manual?  If so, why?  Empty Automatic or manual? If so, why?

Post by Lazarusvan Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:04 pm

Just curious what van owners think about automatic vs. manual? I've always driven a stick, but three on the tree is a different animal and I've never had the pleasure. My wife is skeptical about shifting one even though we both love our 6 speed, modern car.

If you like one vs. the other, why? If you've owned or driven both, I'd like to know your preference. There seems to be a lot more selection out there in manuals, so I'm interested to know your thoughts. I don't know how much shifting around town or on the road it will take, so looking forward to opinions. Thanks!
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8731
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Automatic or manual?  If so, why?  Empty Re: Automatic or manual? If so, why?

Post by dix Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:59 pm

Ibought a /6 with 3 speed on the coloumn changed that to a v8 automatic
    chester42
    chester42

Number of posts : 1383
    Registration date : 2009-04-06

Post by chester42 Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:39 pm

350 V8 and 700R aod is the way to go!
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

Post by Vanish Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:41 pm

Dog o Matic .... For sure !!!!!!

DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:52 pm

Personally I like the 2004-R. Good ratios in all gears, easy to install and hook up. You can get up and go and still get good gas mileage with the overdrive. Marry it up with a 350 is always nice but now a days you can pick up a 305 for a song, still have decent power and mileage. Oh, and with the 2004-r you can use your stock drive shaft. That's always a plus....

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Automatic or manual?  If so, why?  Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    bugeye bob
    bugeye bob

Number of posts : 383
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

Post by bugeye bob Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:06 pm

well my a100 came with the 3 speed on the tree but I wish when I opened the door when buying it I would have seen a auto shifter on the dash, but its fun to drive and once you get use to it it's easy to shift.
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:27 pm

No A/C, PS or PB + a small steering wheel = I'll take any luxury I can get Smile

I once had a '80 chevy work van with a 3 on the tree and a 350 V8. Thing was a beast, but it was fun! (except when the clutch wouldn't fully release therefore the trans wouldn't let you grab your choice of gears)
    bumpbug

Number of posts : 147
    Registration date : 2010-01-16

Post by bumpbug Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:47 pm

Has anybody gone from a stick to a auto using the same motor and what were the differences? Power , mileage, drive ability, Did you have a 6 or 8 cyl.
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:49 pm

DanTheVanMan wrote:Personally I like the 2004-R. Good ratios in all gears, easy to install and hook up. You can get up and go and still get good gas mileage with the overdrive. Marry it up with a 350 is always nice but now a days you can pick up a 305 for a song, still have decent power and mileage. Oh, and with the 2004-r you can use your stock drive shaft. That's always a plus....

Dan

O.K. Auto seems to be the choice of champions. Since I do not know these mechanical things, converting one to an auto is not that hard to do? Is the 2004-R a conversion kit? Assuming I wanted to do so and hired a pro to do the work, any clue on the cost involved, at least in parts? Estimate on time for labor? I'd love to not limit my choices. So much is manual and all so far advocate auto. Love your van, Dan.
    toad
    toad

Number of posts : 355
    Registration date : 2010-05-30

Post by toad Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:55 pm

I'm converting to auto. Want a cruiser, not a workout around town. Transmission getting built right now. Can't wait to put her into drive and "GO"!
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:06 am

You will enjoy the auto- good choice! costs depend on who & where= ive got rebuilders here - Quotes of 2K+ installed Tranny Companys and the home builders are around 300-350 -install addl. The lower priced guys even now giving a 2 years warranty!! for that amount of cash Im not going to do that myself. For another 100 bucks they do the install too. Watch Craigs list in ur area for the lower costs builders & visit with them.
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:20 am

Lazarusman,
    The hardest part is finding a 2004-R. Everybody wants them! Most end up settling for a 700-R which is a great tranny too but then you have to have a custom drive-shaft made. The 2004-R are the choice of muscle car builder's because they last so long, can take lots of abuse and are almost indestructible. Thus making them hard to find. Also most 2004-R's have the universal bolt pattern allowing it to bolt to all GM, Chevy and BOP (Buick, Olds & Pontiac) motors. You will have to have a trans hanger made as well but it's very easy for the 2004-R If you need help or info just let me know. Best bet is like Twinpilot001 said. Watch Craigslist, it's where I found both my 2004-R's.

What motor are you looking at putting in?

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:18 am

My '65 is a manual and while it's fun to drive it's actually a lot of work, it can be downright stressful in heavy traffic or in hilly terrain (we have lots of both).

If I knew then what I know now (famous last words) I would have gotten an automatic so I could just drive it. I also think auto's would do better on as far as the topend goes on the highway (gearing etc being the same).

My wife doesn't like driving the van because she's afraid of stalling it on a hill in traffic, the non-syncro'd first gear can be a pain in butt in traffic as well (you have to come to a complete stop to shift from 2nd to 1st).

I will eventually start looking for an A108 with an auto.

Post by Guest Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:21 pm

if you have a tree of three no one under 30 will be able to steal your van.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8731
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:27 pm

that's a good point steve ,,,
    StuNami
    StuNami

Number of posts : 437
    Registration date : 2010-12-14

Post by StuNami Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:36 pm

I like my 3 speed. For myself, shifing is a part of the experience of driving an early. I always order manual shift from the factory. With Ram, I had to get auto because Dodge says they have to control the torque from the hemi. And I was thinking the same thing Steve was, it's a good theft determent. Some while back, I converted my Road Runner from auto to 4 speed but that was an obvious no brainer.
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:10 pm

steve wrote:if you have a tree of three no one under 30 will be able to steal your van.

Confuscious very wise man... alien
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:46 pm

DanTheVanMan wrote:Lazarusman,
    The hardest part is finding a 2004-R. Everybody wants them! Most end up settling for a 700-R which is a great tranny too but then you have to have a custom drive-shaft made. The 2004-R are the choice of muscle car builder's because they last so long, can take lots of abuse and are almost indestructible. Thus making them hard to find. Also most 2004-R's have the universal bolt pattern allowing it to bolt to all GM, Chevy and BOP (Buick, Olds & Pontiac) motors. You will have to have a trans hanger made as well but it's very easy for the 2004-R If you need help or info just let me know. Best bet is like Twinpilot001 said. Watch Craigslist, it's where I found both my 2004-R's.

What motor are you looking at putting in?

Dan

This is why they are so hard to come by..... But worth the searching!!!!

Last edited by DanTheVanMan on Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:54 am; edited 1 time in total

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Jay 13
    Jay 13

Number of posts : 155
    Registration date : 2011-02-01

Post by Jay 13 Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:24 am

I agree with Steve,most people under 35 never heard of a 3 on the tree,as much as I liked my 3 speed in my 68,I have to admit the auto in my 69 is alot easier in heavy traffic
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:57 am

Yep, when I take either of mine in for a front end alinement I have to pull it in for them! Hahaha! Razz

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Post by Guest Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:28 am

steve wrote:if you have a tree of three no one under 30 will be able to steal your van.

I am 28 and have the three on the tree pretty well licked...there goes that theory! ha

Post by Guest Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:47 am

im 30, have the 3 on the tree on the econoline and the dodge. my first real car was a first gen chevy that had the 3 on the tree. and i was 15 when i first drove it.
    i think it has to do with how and who you grow up with. my dad gave me driving lessons on a 53 chevy. he said, "if you can drive this, you can drive anycar". thats what im doing with my kids when time comes..
    back to topic. once agin its up to the driver. i personally like shifting, like someone said, its part of the experience. also, i dont drive my vans a lot and always avoid heavy traffiic.
    Jay 13
    Jay 13

Number of posts : 155
    Registration date : 2011-02-01

Post by Jay 13 Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:11 pm

Beanses,that is great I am doing the same with my kids.I think it is the way you grow up,my dad had a rule that if you wanted to drive it,you had to know how to fix it.on the other hand neither of my wife,s brothers can't even drive an easy manual shift

Post by Guest Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:23 pm

I'm 26 and drive three on the tree. Although the day before I went to buy my van I looked up youtube videos of how to drive it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 2:09 pm