VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+5
Lazarusvan
Twinpilot001
donivan65
panelmanrd
drc
9 posters

Air Conditioning In A 2nd Gen?

Air Conditioning In A 2nd Gen? - Page 2 Empty Re: Air Conditioning In A 2nd Gen?

Post by Guest Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:06 pm

Yeah the roof condenser is a bit of an eye sore but maybe get's good ventilation up top there, If it has less than 50lbs pressure should it be ok to take apart or should I still get it pumped out by an A/C shop? Is there a special gauge to use to check the pressure with?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Air Conditioning In A 2nd Gen? - Page 2 Empty Re: Air Conditioning In A 2nd Gen?

Post by donivan65 Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:56 pm

My sunroof is one of the best things I ever did to my van,,,,,so,,,looks to me that you got 300 psi of pressurized R-12 in a hose held on by a heater hose clamp a couple of inches from your head,,,,,good luck with that,,,,,there are lots of r-12 pressure gauges out there,,,,screw on and the pencil types,,,see if someone you know has one that they have not used in the last 15 years,,,,tell an A/C shop to lend you one so you can see if there is any pressure in your system so they can evacuate for you,,,,,but do the nail thing 1st,,,see if that nail gets ice cold or just air comes out,,,,,,

Air Conditioning In A 2nd Gen? - Page 2 Roof_a11

Post by Guest Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:03 pm

Ok sounds good, I will try that nail thing first thing after work tomorrow and if it is just air coming out then I can assume it is safe to take apart, thank you for the prompt replies...

Post by Guest Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:02 am

Sure enough no pressure, the nail trick worked, I depressed the pin and nothing came out and the nail did not get cold so I took the hoses of ( they were very stubborn) and took the big old compressor out. The next thing is the roof top condenser, all of the system is getting pulled. Just out of curiosity will this affect my heater?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:26 am

The heater is a separate system,,,,,its just like a mini radiator,,,the hot coolant goes out of the engine down under the floor through the heater hoses and up into the heater core under the dash where a fan blows the hot air out towards you,,,,,then the coolant goes back into the waterpump and it starts all over again,,,,,,do you have a picture of that evaporator set up where the cold air used to come out from?

Post by Guest Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:43 pm

No pics of that but I will see if I can add those to the gallery, that is a big blocky evaporater and takes up a big space, do you think it could be re-used with another newer A/C system like from vintage air? just wondering if I should take it out too if not...
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:42 pm

So you got 2 big boxes under the dash,,,,,,the newer systems combine both the A/c and the heater into 1 box and it fits rather nicely under the dash,,,,,,

Air Conditioning In A 2nd Gen? - Page 2 Harry_44

Post by Guest Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:00 pm

I am trying to upload a pic and am getting my butt kicked, it looks like you got it dialed, any advice on how to do this from an iPhone? I even tried to add one to my gallery and it says the pic is too big but I got it as small all it can go? Anyhow sorry about the hold up and it sure looks different than your pic, that must be the brand new aftermarket kit from vintage air I assume?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:21 pm

Here is that A/C system,,,,,you know, those A/C systems probably cost more than the vans do,,,,,click on my name and send me an email with the pictures,,,,lets see if that works,,,,,posting pictures here is surely not the easiest thing to do,,,,,

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t23185-chevy-van-a-c-kit

Post by Guest Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:49 pm

Still trying, clicking on your name took me to your profile but the email link for some reason won't give me the option to add a pic?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:58 pm

That's what you get for not living in the Windows PC world,,,,,send me an email from your computer,,,,do you download your pictures onto a computer and then try and post or send them?

Post by Guest Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:12 pm

Yes, I do download my pics on the computer and then I tried sending them earlier but no luck, I think that photobucket link I just sent will work though, ugh!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:27 pm

Let's see what is outside my Window,,,,,

Air Conditioning In A 2nd Gen? - Page 2 Stve_010

Post by Guest Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:49 pm

I know my picture sucks, let me send a better one...

Post by Guest Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:54 pm

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:11 pm

Looks like you won't get much heat out of the heater with that Evaporator blocking it,,,,,,it looks like it is pretty close to the gas pedal also,,,,,

Post by Guest Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:27 pm

Yeah this unit is a beast, I am going to take the bugger out and look into an aftermarket one or piece together something possibly that won't ding the wallet as much... I will like the open space in the meantime though and clean up the dash area while I'm at it, I am installing a Ron Francis Express harness in the next couple weeks so it might also be more easily installed under the dash without the big obstacle there maybe.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:32 pm

I guess if the cave men had A/C in their cars,,,,they would be using one like yours,,,,,

Post by Guest Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:43 pm

Lol, classic! This system is definitely outdated, you think it may be worth some $ change to someone looking for period correct original stuff? I don't know that it would be worth the money it would cost to ship to anywhere though... I guess it wouldn't hurt to post the parts under the parts section...
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:13 am

Well you sure won't win any beauty contests with that system,,,,but when I go back East, I would try ANYTHING to escape the heat and humidity,,,,,,and there is another van with that same system as yours out here,,,,he may need parts,,,,,,and yours is universal,,,,,it fits anything,,,,so it would be worth something to someone,,,,,,,someday,,,,
    joyrde
    joyrde

Number of posts : 26
    Registration date : 2009-03-12

Post by joyrde Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:50 pm

Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:20 pm

the best u can get too!!!!!!!!!!!!! Vintage air  was the pioneers  on A/C many years back too. They have something for  every car ,truck & van!!cheers

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 6:56 am