VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Brake-light/turn signal mystery.

Brake-light/turn signal mystery. Empty Brake-light/turn signal mystery.

Post by Guest Sun May 15, 2011 8:40 pm

Maybe you guys can help me figure this out.

Mystery #1
    When the key is in the off position only one brake light turns on when I apply the brakes. When I have the vehicle running both lights act as they should.
    why? How do I fix it?

Mystery #2
    when I have my left turn signal on my front blinker works great and is a bright light. When I have my right turn signal on both the left and right blinkers in the front blink very dimly.
    Why? How do I fix it?

I'm less than stellar at electrical but with your help I may be able to figure it out, thanks!
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Brake-light/turn signal mystery. Empty Re: Brake-light/turn signal mystery.

Post by Big W Sun May 15, 2011 10:33 pm

My 2 cents for "Mystery #2". would be to check the ground on each socket. Then check each socket to make sure each filament in the bulb is lighting up individually, and not shorting across inside the socket (had that happen, worn out socket) causing left brake light to flash opposite right signal. If all sockets are good and all light up as they should by using a hot lead from the battery, then my next step would be to look for short in the wiring somewhere. Also not sure if signal switch in column would do this if it were worn out bad enough, my 53 never did. also take a look at all connections to make sure nothing has oxidised to the point of just making a crappy connection. May also fix problem #1...Hope I was of some help.

Post by Guest Mon May 16, 2011 6:48 am

I'll do what I can before I have to take the horn ring off thanks for the help
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Mon May 16, 2011 8:53 am

1st= go to parts house & get a heavy duty flasher!! see what a difference that makes!! Then #2= try and remove the bulbs that are weak or dont work- Many times ive gad PO put the bulbs in backwarsd-yes it can be dome eben if the tangs are offset!!= also make sure the sockets are clean & the wires that the bulb conneccts to are under spring pressure -not colapsed or springs broken in light sockets.
    Army of Six
    Army of Six

Number of posts : 241
    Registration date : 2010-10-02

Post by Army of Six Mon May 16, 2011 9:22 am

my 2 cents...

Mystery #1
    I think that is simply a bad connection at the socket. the vibrations of the van running are causing it to make enough of a connection. to verify, with the key off, have someone hold the brake pedal down. when the one brake light comes on.. knock on the tail light lens that isnt working, see if it will flicker or come on.

Mystery #2
    As stated is a bad ground.

Post by Guest Mon May 16, 2011 4:04 pm

Mystery 1- still unsolved but as long as it works while it's running I'm fine with it.

Mystery 2- the problem is definitely not in the column as I was checking it again today now only the passenger blinks when it's supposed to, which leads me to believe there is some bare wire somewhere down the line. I'll look into it more later. How come the broken 9" on my mustang or my broken pressure plate on my truck couldnt have just worked themselves out?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Tue May 17, 2011 9:16 pm

Do you have a hazard flasher switch on that van? And does just turning the key on instead of starting it make any difference in your problems,,,,,,wiggle the turn signal lever to see if brake lights start to work right and make sure someone has not put a 1 contact bulb in there instead of a 2,,,,,,,,(the turn signal switch decides IF or which brake light comes on,,,,it is the boss of the rear turn/brake lights),,,,,bad grounds cause other lights to come on,,,,,,take a 12 volt test light,,,,,hook it to ground,,,,,take the lens off,,,,,,if the base of the bulb or anything except the wires going to the bulb, when it is supposed to be on, causes the tester to light -- the ground is bad.

Post by Guest Tue May 17, 2011 9:29 pm

All the bulbs are two contact, and yes as for the brake lights the key makes a difference. I'm sure it's a ground or a bare wire somewhere down the line I just need to find it now. Thankyou for your help.

I've had the van running for a couple weeks now and tomorrow I'm going to push my luck by taking it on a 1300 mile trip between tomorrow and Sunday. If my flashers are my biggest problem the whole way I will be elated!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Wed May 18, 2011 7:43 am

There are two 12 volt feeds going up into the turn signal switch,,,,,,one is the brake light switch which has power on it all the time, and the other is from the turn signal flasher which has power ONLY when the key is on , then the turn signal switch sends power back down to the 4 wires that go to each bulb,,,,I think there is a wiring diagram on our front page,,,,,so take your test light and identify those wires to see if the turn signal switch is doing its job,,,,,so the brake light switch should light up 1 wire which is the signal coming up from it AND the 2 wires that go to the rear lights should light up,,,,same test for turn signals,,,,,1 hot wire from the flasher with key on,,,2 wires going to the front and rear bulbs,,,,,,its like only 7 wires,,,,,2 hot ones,,,,1 for horn,,4 going to the bulbs,,,,remove the flasher or turn signal fuse,,,,,,see if brake lights work,,,,,you need isolate the problem,,,,use that test light to see what is going on at the steering column,,,,then go through the wiring and sockets if things work OK at the turn signal switch. maybe the wires are in the wrong place in the connector by the column,,,,,do some investigating,,,,,,

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 1:32 pm