VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Stuck in Reverse!!!

Vantastic
    Vantastic

Number of posts : 290
    Registration date : 2011-02-28

Stuck in Reverse!!! Empty Stuck in Reverse!!!

Post by Vantastic Sat May 07, 2011 9:15 am

Linkage problem..... it's stuck in reverse. I checked out the linkage rods and one was loose(the 2nd one from the outside,the longest) . I tightened it up and it's still stuck in reverse. I'm going to jack it up and spin the rear tires to see if I can get it out of gear. But after that what's the fix??? It looks pretty simple, but with my mechanical abilities who knows?? is there a book with pictures??? ha just kidding but if there is, that would be great!!!!
    Thank for the help!!

Stuck in Reverse!!! Empty Re: Stuck in Reverse!!!

Post by Guest Sat May 07, 2011 4:18 pm

I don't know if this helps but a couple weeks ago I was driving and pulled up to a four way stop and popped it out of gear. When I tried to put it back in gear it wouldn't. It was stuck in neutral. So I got underneath it and started moving the linkages closest to the transmission and something popped and it's shifted great since then. I just recommend trying to manually shift the car while your under it with your hands and hope something unbinds. Goodluck.
    organ grinder

Number of posts : 149
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

Post by organ grinder Sun May 08, 2011 12:52 am

It could be possible the shift levers are hung up at the bottom of the shift tube. I usually take a pry bar in between the grill opening and pry up (shouldn't take alot of force) between the 2 shift levers as someone inside the cab moves the shifter on the column. Once you get it to free up, inspect the bushing on the levers for wear, sometimes they wear completely thru and are gone which causes it to bind up. If the bushings look good, and you have the tranny in neutral, do a simple linkage adjustment on the shift rods. Hope this helps.

OG
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Sun May 08, 2011 3:55 am

Look on this site,it's been explained before. Loosen rods at tranny,make sure both levers are in neutral,install screwdriver at column base so rods are in true neutral position,retighten rods at tranny and drive:-) Condensed version.
    elmonto
    elmonto

Number of posts : 56
    Registration date : 2010-07-09

Post by elmonto Mon May 09, 2011 8:01 am

That just happened to me a few weeks ago. Its a pretty simple fix, the linkage connecttors at the tranny get worn out and bind.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 8:39 am