VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
Digz
DanTheVanMan
6 posters

Door issue

Door issue Empty Door issue

Post by Guest Thu May 05, 2011 3:00 pm

I noticed today that the latch at the bottom of the passenger side rear most door isnt in its slot. The rod just dangles inside the door. Is there an easy way to get it back into the little passage that lets it pop out and secure the door?

When I say easy Im hoping I wont have to take apart the handle and mechanism and all that....
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Door issue Empty Re: Door issue

Post by DanTheVanMan Thu May 05, 2011 5:06 pm

JC, Post a few pic's so we can get a better idea what your dealing with. In 90% of the cases it can be fairly easily fixed. Pic's help us all give you better advice on how to proceed.

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Door issue Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Thu May 05, 2011 5:13 pm

I think there is a like a guide at the door bottom that is either broken loose or rusted apart. Maybe one of the guys has a pic of it , I have the same issue on a couple doors on my project vans that I will have to deal with.

Post by Guest Thu May 05, 2011 6:41 pm

Alright here are some pictures:

Door issue Img_0210
    Bottom of the door where the latch should be sticking out.

Door issue Img_0211
    The latch on the the end of the rod thats turned sideways so the door still works without it in the slot.

Door issue Img_0212
    Stuck my camera inside the door and took a picture of the rod hanging next to the slot on the inside.

Door issue Img_0213
    Moved the rod and latch out of the way to get a better shot of the slot itself.

I spent quite a bit of time earlier with my arm inside the little square of the door trying to swing the rod over the slot and then trying to turn the latch back to its vertical position. But I ran into some problems. Although I can fit my arm in up to the elbow it isnt far enough down to actually get my hand around the end piece that I need to turn. Because of that I was trying to get something in the bottom of the door to grab it, like my pinky or a coat hanger, but that didnt work. The other problem I had was that the only way to postition the rod and latch over the rim of the slot was to twist the handle as far as it would go to get the height needed. Since the handle springs back a bit if I dont hold it in place it became very difficult for me to be doing so many things at once, especially since doing all that made everything just a bit too far apart from each other for my arms.

So is there an easier way? Or am I doing it right and just need a third arm?
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Thu May 05, 2011 6:50 pm

One of the doors on mine I cured the floppy end by taking the rod out and welding it so it's rigid and bent the rod a bit to make it line up okay. it must work on a bit of an angle or it wouldnt have a knee in it Id think.

Post by Guest Thu May 05, 2011 6:55 pm

Floppy? You mean the bit that's turned sideways in my pictures?

I dont have a problem with it being floppy. If anything its too hard to turn. I think if it turned easier I might have got it in the slot when I had my arm in the door earlier.

I was hoping I wouldnt have to bend the rod.... do you think that's the best way to do it though? Im worried I would mess it up.
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Fri May 06, 2011 3:33 am

What I was running into was , when I unlatched the doors and it lifted that latch wedge , it would kick sideways like what your showing and jump out of the opening when you tried to close it. I made it so it couldnt get sideways. The right way would be to take the corner apart and redo the guide that is supposed to be there I think. Let me see if I can find something complete to get a pic of this weekend if nobody has one already.
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Fri May 06, 2011 4:20 pm

This is a pretty awful pic but you can see the whats left of the guide that sticks up into the door, to keep the wedge aligned. I think it should stick up about 1/2 " or so? Is this still there on your door ? If it is you may have to unhook the rod at the latch mechanism to get it started and rehook it. I havent found anything easy about latches and cargo doors, just be thankful it isn't a Dodge.
    Door issue Latch_10
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Fri May 06, 2011 4:33 pm

When I was working on my Panel doors I had to make two new guides. Both for the Left doors..scratch .. I made them 2" high. They close tight and don't rattle anymore.. Very Happy

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Door issue Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Fri May 06, 2011 4:48 pm

The pic I took from this door. its obvious someone had the same problem, but they must have given up ,, the mid latch is gone and the rod and wedge was laying in the bottom,,, Razz
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Fri May 06, 2011 5:17 pm

Must be a common issue Joe. All mine were laying in the bottom too... Laughing

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Door issue Qr_cod10

Post by Guest Fri May 06, 2011 9:49 pm

Yes that guide is still there. If you look in my fourth picture you can see it sticking up about a half inch like you said. So how do I unhook the rod without taking the whole handle mechanism out of the door? Is there a special way I have to twist it or something?
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Sat May 07, 2011 12:20 am

The rod is attached with a very hard to find clip that will break unless delt with very carfully. its best not to jerk with that if you can avoid it.

Its a curious thing how thw rod got out in the first place?

M1D
    whopman
    whopman

Number of posts : 387
    Registration date : 2010-04-01

Post by whopman Sat May 07, 2011 3:37 am

Door issue Img_0315
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Sat May 07, 2011 5:03 am

A thin flat blade screwdriver should pop it off, Carefully like M1 says. Good pic WM. I think just guide wearing out and getting sloppy combined with some misalignment of the door to the opening in the running board and somebody horsing the handle to close it kicks them out. I hate door slammers ! If you can get it back in tho and it still causes a problem once in awhile you can weld that end to get rid of the hinge effect and tweak the rod to help it stay more vertical or redo the guide better Like Dan did.
    If you break the clip let me know I'll scrounge one up from around here.

Post by Guest Sat May 07, 2011 5:48 am

Ok so looking at that picture I pinch the two tabs in and then slide the clip off of them, right?
    whopman
    whopman

Number of posts : 387
    Registration date : 2010-04-01

Post by whopman Sat May 07, 2011 6:04 am

no... you need to get a flat blade screwdriver and pry the shaft of the pin that the clip squeezes...the end of the rod has an indentation on it that the clip rides in...be carefull with it.... due to age the clip may break....
    Richie Rich

Number of posts : 45
    Registration date : 2010-11-26

Post by Richie Rich Sat May 07, 2011 8:14 pm

When I had to scrounge from a couple of spare doors I didn't understand about those little clips and not being able to see very clear in there, I forced the clips off. When I put the rods into the doors on my van I had trouble finding the bottom hole from the inside so I went from the bottom hole up to the handle. Because I lost or broke my clips I used press on retaining rings from the hardware store.

Post by Guest Mon May 09, 2011 6:36 pm

try this Smile

Door issue Bin_ladens_dead Very Happy Very Happy

Post by Guest Fri May 13, 2011 11:25 am

Sorry I am a little slow with this... I have always been more of a visual person...

Door issue Img_0214

Here is a picture I took of the end of the rod. You said I am supposed to pry on the pin that the clip is holding onto, so the black piece is the clip, right? And that pointy deal going through it is the pin, right? So I pry on the pin part, not the black clip part?

Thanks for being patient with me
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Fri May 13, 2011 12:22 pm

The idea is to put a screwdriver on the pin to the right of the clip, twisting it, forcing the the 2 tangs on the left side of the clip to slip over and off the head of the pin,,,,,,,

Post by Guest Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:03 pm

Hey, I know its been a while since I posted this but I got busy and wasnt able to finish what I started. So I just wanted to give an update.

This weekend I finally got back to it and tried again. Was able to pop it off without breaking the clip. Dropped the rod into the slot and popped it back on with no problems. So thanks again to everyone who helped me out.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 10:03 am