VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

electrical question

codyguy

Number of posts : 7
    Registration date : 2011-02-18

electrical question Empty electrical question

Post by codyguy Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:15 pm

My batter recently started losing charge when not in use, so today I took it to get tested and was told it needed to be replaced. I got a new battery. I had forgotten that my stereo is wired straight to the battery and I didn't get a bettery with extra posts like my old one. I'm trying to figure out whether I should just get a different battery to work the same way as the old, or if I should be trying to figure out how to get it wired so that it's not connected straight to the battery. It's a crappy stereo system that somebody put in before I got it, so like basically everything else, it's going to have to get replaced at some point. Any tips?
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

electrical question Empty Re: electrical question

Post by sasktrini Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:37 pm

Do you not have the stock battery box? with those, you don't really get much option besides top-post, do you?

Many of these old vans did not come equipped with radios. The best option (which you might be able to do) is to put an eyelet electrical connector on your power wire and secure it to the post on the back of your ignition switch (your wipers should also be attached there already)... it should correspond to the ACC circuit.

You would only tap a strong amplifier directly to your battery post if anything, makinig sure the remote power is also connected to your stereo so that it turns off with the van and doesn't drain your battery.

Hope that helps.

Post by Guest Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:19 pm

RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:25 pm

Stock charging systems only put out around 35 amps. This is only enough for a very low powered stereo (2-5 watts).
    Any add-on to a STOCK vehicle should be under this limit and be connected so they only get power when the ignition is on (running). Good luck finding a new radio that is this low=powered.
    If you want more stereo or any add-ons, or want your vehicle to be more reliable go through the following steps, depending on your needs. Convert to an electronic regulator, bypass your amp gauge, upgrade your alt and charging system wiring, add a second battery and isolator.
    Most of this has been covered here recently, but a search for MAD electrical should get you going.

Post by Guest Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:50 pm

Two batteries with an isolator is great if you have a system like mine that is over 2000 watts. Actually I would use two Optimas for over 800 watts and a 200 watt one wire alternator. Most head units now are 200 watts. Use one battery for the sound system and the other for starting. If you go with a larger system a capacitor would be good to have.
    A100Sportsman
    A100Sportsman

Number of posts : 156
    Registration date : 2010-10-24

Post by A100Sportsman Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:59 am

I actually found a stock A100 radio on ebay a while back but somebody else got it. The stock radio is the Mopar Model 706. I was interested in this for a while, but the previous owner of mine cut a hole for a different radio where the stock speaker would have gone, so I think I am just going to get a new stereo to fill the hole. I would like one that is chrome to go with the dash trim, anyone have any suggestions?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 7:21 am