VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Fuel pump leak

boroop
    boroop

Number of posts : 92
    Registration date : 2008-09-22

Fuel pump leak Empty Fuel pump leak

Post by boroop Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:21 am

Hi there folks,

I know this is a pretty crappy introduction, but it's all I got time for right now. Very Happy

I recently bought a 1963 Falcon Club Wagon off eBay... and have been driving it around town and even convinced my wife to go for a ride (before the interior was fixed up)!

Well, I went out to the garage yesterday and found a nice puddle of gas under the van. Crying or Very sad So I nudged it out onto the driveway and then ducked my head underneath (while it was running). A steady stream of gasoline was coming out from the fuel pump. So I quickly returned the van to it's proper resting spot in the garage and shut her down.

I noticed that I could squeeze the gas line from the fuel filter to the pump and a little stream would shoot right out of the pump's back side onto the engine block. And as they say in Mexico, "esto no es muy bueno." Suspect

So I'm thinking a replacement pump is in order (rather than try to fix a 45 year old one).

Here's my question - finally (sheesh this guy types a lot!).

Which of these fleabay specials look better?

This one

or

this one?

Assuming that the price difference is not a problem, is one of these better than the other?

Thanks a bunch!
    Bo

Fuel pump leak Empty Re: Fuel pump leak

Post by Guest Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:11 am

I would consider buying one from your local parts store rather than Ebay. That way you get a warranty if it fails. Just my .02

BTW, your Falcon looks very nice.
    boroop
    boroop

Post by boroop Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:16 pm

The local parts shop only offers a 12 month warranty... and in Michigan my van is going to sit for at least 6 months. So I'm hesitant to pay the higher price to have a warranty that won't ever get used.

I mean if I get a bad one from an eBay vendor or some place online, I'm just gonna send it back immediately.

I'm just not sure if there's a major difference between the two fuel pumps I linked to?

And Nate, thanks for the nice comments about my van. it's been re-done on the outside and is really solid. Minimal surface rust that is coming right off and only a few smaller mechanical issues. Needs new hoses, etc.

Everything works but the horn; watch for my finger! lol!
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:19 pm

I also would buy from a local parts store. If you add shipping I'm sure it's even cheaper there. And I would trust a auto store to take back a part other than some ebayer.
    boroop
    boroop

Post by boroop Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:02 am

So, again... price aside, and where I choose to buy it from aside, is there any difference between the two models linked to above? I see little to no difference besides that one is a rebuild and one is new.

Is this assumption correct?
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:45 am

My only concern might be the 45 year old rubber in the new one, but who knows how old the rubber is in the rebuilt.

Post by Guest Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:20 am

I've had good experience with Airtex water pumps and they make a good item. When I was still turning wrenches for a living we used KEM ignition parts and I wasn't impressed. So there's my opinion. Never used either brand fuel pump however.
    boroop
    boroop

Post by boroop Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:21 am

There's the info I was looking for. Thanks!

FWIW, I can't believe that NAPA doesn't have my 45 year old fuel pump in stock. lol!

Post by Guest Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:55 am

Napa may have your fuel pump but not listed under Econoline I also have a 63 try asking for a Fairlane,Meteor,Comet,Falcon part on anything. Do you have a interchange book? Mine says for 63 Fairllane,meteor and Ford truck 6cyl 144,170,200 they are interchangeable Ford part #c30z935ob. Its eaiser to ask for a more popular model because their computer or books will have a listing for them and not our vans

Post by Guest Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:44 am

Post by Guest Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:32 pm

and also different too?
    http://www.autozone.com/R,808853/vehicleId,1852601/initialAction,partProductDetail/store,1354/partType,00078/shopping/partProductDetail.htm
    im entering the same information to both stores and they have different pumps.
    im looking to replace the pump too. its not working properly....
    but wich one should i go with,,
    im guessing the one from the zone, since i want less "things" in my engine compartment.
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:02 pm

Looks like the Bosch might be two pumps in one, maybe vacuum?
    boroop
    boroop

Post by boroop Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:50 pm

beanses wrote:im guessing the one from the zone, since i want less "things" in my engine compartment.

The Airtex 6491 is the one I'm leaning towards as well... but not available through NAPA, which means I need to drive to the next town over. But it looks ot be the proper replacement part.

Post by Guest Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:04 pm

this means that they are interchangeable.
    the van has something that looks like the bosch.
    but the only one i can get is the airtex..
    if i get it will it work just fine?
    the guy at the parts store did not know what to answer.. new guy.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 9:30 am