VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
donivan65
Digz
Farmer
7 posters

Six cyl valve cover question

Farmer
    Farmer

Number of posts : 67
    Registration date : 2010-12-27

Six cyl valve cover question Empty Six cyl valve cover question

Post by Farmer Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:55 am

My 6 cyl valve cover has only two openings, both on top, the one at the front for the oil fill cap and the one at the rear for the PCV valve. I have an aftermarket air cleaner installed and a solid non vented oil fill cap. I not sure what the original set-up should be. My question: should I have a vented type oil fill cap on the front? I have noticed on another 6 cyl I have it has a vent hose coming from a port in the front left side of the valve cover. Thanks for the help.
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Six cyl valve cover question Empty Re: Six cyl valve cover question

Post by Digz Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:04 am

Yes the rocker cover definately needs to be vented somewhere. We went through this awhile back , Richie on his 6 and myself with a V8, I think Don has all the pics of the set ups. You can rig up a vented cap that hooks back to the air cleaner to help with DH gases like one of those side mounted cover vents would do. Or a quicky twist in breather for now.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:16 am

The real set up has a tube coming out of the side of the valve cover, a spark arrestor in the line and a connector that sits between the carb and air cleaner. You need air into the valve cover for the PCV valve to work. At the least, you need to have a vented oil filler cap on your engine

Six cyl valve cover question Repair48
    Farmer
    Farmer

Number of posts : 67
    Registration date : 2010-12-27

Post by Farmer Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:58 pm

Thanks guys! I thought I had read somewhere on here about having a vent on one end. Another problem solved. Ready for the next one? Smile
    kevinlvy

Number of posts : 2
    Registration date : 2010-12-07

Post by kevinlvy Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:04 pm

Farmer wrote:My 6 cyl valve cover gasket sets has only two openings, both on top, the one at the front for the oil fill cap and the one at the rear for the PCV valve. I have an aftermarket air cleaner installed and a solid non vented oil fill cap. I not sure what the original set-up should be. My question: should I have a vented type oil fill cap on the front? I have noticed on another 6 cyl I have it has a vent hose coming from a port in the front left side of the valve cover. Thanks for the help.

would love to see the pictures documented on that, and of course we would be all ears on the next problem you want to throw on us Razz
    sparky

Number of posts : 195
    Registration date : 2010-01-05

Post by sparky Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:05 pm

donivan65 wrote:The real set up has a tube coming out of the side of the valve cover, a spark arrestor in the line and a connector that sits between the carb and air cleaner. You need air into the valve cover for the PCV valve to work. At the least, you need to have a vented oil filler cap on your engine

so that pcv valve and hose coming outta the top of that valve cover....where does that hose go ?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:24 pm

It needs to go to the intake manifold,,,,,,,,mine is connected with a T fitting to the hot idle compensator valve at the port on the passenger side of the intake manifold,,,,,,

Six cyl valve cover question Repair74
    Jay 13
    Jay 13

Number of posts : 155
    Registration date : 2011-02-01

Post by Jay 13 Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:20 am

Don,if you only have a vented oil cap will that effect the idle on the carb? my pvc hose is connected to the intake and the oil cap is vented,the left side outlet has a rubber plug in it and the hose coming out of the carb.connector has been blocked off with a bolt and hose clamp.I have a 250/6 with a 350 turbo and can't get the idle right.I was wondering if this could be the problem
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:27 pm

The carb likes all the air that you can give it down its throat past the choke butterfly,,,,HOWEVER that intake don't like air,,,,,the PCV only lets a small amount of air that it finds in the valve cover into the intake manifold and you open the mixture screw on the carb a little more to smother that air going into the intake through the PCV hose. But block off the PCV, see if it idles better,,,,be sure the mixture screw is adjusted correctly,,,,spray some carb cleaner into the carb and outside it and on the intake gasket area,,,,if that speeds up the engine, you got an air leak,,,,,does it seem like there is too much gas in the carb causing the bad idle? Plug off the vacuum modulator line and do those tests,,,,,
    Jay 13
    Jay 13

Post by Jay 13 Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:17 pm

I have replaced the gasket between the carb.and intake,new gastank,fuel pump,NAPA HEI,plugs wires,modulator and it still stalls when you put it in gear.(while driving) it runs fine while you are giving it gas but seems to be rich when trying to drive at a steady speed and occationally back fires which causes the manual choke to kick on and I have to reach down and push it back in.I am not sure if I have the correct carb.I would gladly buy a new carb.(everything else in new) if you know where I could find the correct one.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:31 pm

The 6 cylinders came with 3 different carbs,,,,Rochester B, Carter YF and Rochester MonoJet,,,,,have you opened up the carb and cleaned it and installed a new kit? Do you have another distributor,,,,,are you still running the resistor wire to that HEI? Are you saying the RPMs drop as soon as you shift into Drive,,,,,they made different carbs for 3 speeds and Automatics,,,,Sometimes Floats leak and gas gets into them which changes the fuel level,,,,,,maybe change the float level up or down 1/16" see if things get better,,,,,,
    Jay 13
    Jay 13

Post by Jay 13 Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:53 pm

It has a rochester monojet but I am pretty sure the motor is out of something else.I bought it from a guy whos father had passed away and it belonged to the father.the guy had several older cars all of them modified.his garage was filled with shelves full of car parts, driveshafts,
    carbs,waterpumps,alternaters etc.I will try the float next if not I am going to try to find a new carb.thanks for the help
    Jay 13
    Jay 13

Post by Jay 13 Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:55 pm

is the monojet the right carb. for the automatic?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:09 pm

I would think an Automatic Transmission carb is jetted a little bigger so that the engine does not die when you drop it into Drive or come to a stop......but then there were only a very few 6 cylinders with a TH350 on our vans. I would check that all the carb screws are not loose,,,,but you need to open it up,,,,look and see if the accelerator pump link on the bottom is hooked up,,,,,,but do the spray thing with the van in Drive and see if spraying it makes the engine run better,,,,
    Viking
    Viking

Number of posts : 59
    Registration date : 2012-03-07

Post by Viking Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:33 pm

donivan65 wrote:The real set up has a tube coming out of the side of the valve cover, a spark arrestor in the line and a connector that sits between the carb and air cleaner.   You need air into the valve cover  for the PCV valve to work.   At the least, you need to have a vented oil filler cap  on your engine

Hey Donivan,
    Do you have a part number or know where to get that tube set up between the soup can on the top of the side of the valve cover?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:16 am

There is a spark arrestor between the 2 rubber hoses to prevent  the gas fumes in the valve cover from catching on fire,,,,,and a pick up has a longer collar that needs to be cut down to fit a van,,,,,,and  these would be wrecking yard parts,,,,,,

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:29 am