VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

front springs...

mrfoochie

Number of posts : 24
    Registration date : 2011-01-10

front springs... Empty front springs...

Post by mrfoochie Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:45 pm

just crawled under my 68 jalopy with a measuring tape and wow! some one did a number on the passenger side... the driver's side looks good measuring roughly 48" bolt to bolt... the passenger side only measures 44"... the shackle is laying on the sub frame pointing towards the front of the van... did some one put a wrong sized spring in or do i just need bushings and shackles? i noticed the spring in question has a loose keeper and one of the leafs has come slightly out position... any thoughts?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

front springs... Empty Re: front springs...

Post by donivan65 Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:37 am

I would compare the readings from the good side to the bad side to see if they are the same,,,,,start with the front halves. If they are the same, then there is a chance that they are the same sized springs. Then I would put a jack on top of the bad spring and jack the body up until I got the weight off the spring and see if the shackle will pop back where it belongs,,,,,,or undo that shackle, use the jack to crank that spring back down so that the shackle goes back on where it belongs. Does it look like that or those springs have been changed? Sometimes when they re arc the springs they can twist up on the shackle ends and knock that shackle out of position,,,,,,so I would put a little hydraulic jack near that shackle and jack the spring down, or just to hold the spring until you remove the shackle and then crank the spring down so the shackle can go back in the right way.
    mrfoochie

Number of posts : 24
    Registration date : 2011-01-10

Post by mrfoochie Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:39 pm

thanks... i'll try it tomorrow... the spring does measure the same front to center on both springs and the funky spring does look factory so bottle jack it is... cheers!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 8:13 am