VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+6
hywaychild
Casimier
Donn
slowflapper
BADBADGER
Magic Bus
10 posters

Auto Transport Recommendations?

Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Number of posts : 1422
    Registration date : 2009-12-02

transport - Auto Transport Recommendations? Empty Auto Transport Recommendations?

Post by Magic Bus Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:33 am

I need to hire one to get a rig from San Diego California to St Louis Mo...anybody got any high recommendations?

Id appreciate any insight at all...
    BADBADGER
    BADBADGER

Number of posts : 246
    Registration date : 2009-05-15

transport - Auto Transport Recommendations? Empty Auto transport

Post by BADBADGER Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:30 am

Of the three vehicles I had to ship, two went well and one was a disaster. The good company was called White Cloud transport but Im not sure if there still around. The company that was a disaster turned out to be a transport broker and I never did find out who the trucker was. The vehicle was off loaded about three hundered miles from the destination, ad I had to hire a tow truck to get it to me.
    Advice:
    Do not use a borker. Deal with a transport company only.
    Do not pay upfront.
    If the vehicle is operable ok. If not you will have difficulty finding a compny to haul it.

I sold an MC last to a guy in florida, and the buyer used acompany reccomended by EBAY. It went well. Maybe you can get a reccomendation from them.
    Good luck!
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

transport - Auto Transport Recommendations? Empty Re: Auto Transport Recommendations?

Post by slowflapper Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:37 pm

I'll second the part about don't use a broker, use a carrier instead. I had my van shipped using a broker and they went through 3 different trucking companies before they finally got one to pick it up. All in all a terrible experience, I was about to dump them and go to Reliable Auto Carriers who is a reputable, dedicated carrier (not a broker). Reliable is who I should have used to start with, the price was competitive and they have their own trucks.

I'd at least call them and get a quote, I got a good feeling from them from my calls to them and I'll use them the next time I have to ship one.
    Donn
    Donn

Number of posts : 692
    Registration date : 2009-04-05

transport - Auto Transport Recommendations? Empty Re: Auto Transport Recommendations?

Post by Donn Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:49 pm

If you do use a broker do not use Reliable Auto.. Do not go with the lowest price. They low ball everyone else then you wait forever for it to be picked up. Which can become trouble if the owner cannot store it for weeks.
    Do not sign email contract!!!
    Get a pick up date, once the van has been picked up then send a deposit, like $150 with the rest do at delivery....
    Good luck...
    Casimier
    Casimier

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-07-26

Post by Casimier Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:49 pm

I'll also second that..."Don't use a broker". You must ask them...are you an auto carrier?..If they say "everyone uses the same carriers and dispatch board"...hang up the phone.
    I've found that paying an extra $100 is far better than haggling with these guys over when where and how is my truck.
    hywaychild
    hywaychild

Number of posts : 389
    Registration date : 2008-05-27

Post by hywaychild Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:53 pm

there is a company in st Louis called Marlboro auto transport Ive herd good things about them but that was some time ago . if it don't run your better off finding someone with a hot shot and have them haul it .it will be cheaper and a lot less trouble
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:49 pm

Lets talk about whats really important, what did ya buy?
    Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Number of posts : 1422
    Registration date : 2009-12-02

Post by Magic Bus Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:59 pm

I really appreciate all your suggestions...to make a long story short as possible...My daughter married a Marine, he is in Afghanistan right now..but they are planning to get back to St Louis soon.. Im trying to get this 97 sunfire back, it does run so that will help..

I'll be calling some of the ones you guys have recommended...Thanks again!
    back2thewoods
    back2thewoods

Number of posts : 842
    Registration date : 2008-05-26

Post by back2thewoods Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:26 am

i used transport services, 561 391 9949 ex 211. great service shippped from az to ct. 950.00 prompt professional , did the job , have referred them to some friends, everybody was impressed. talk to fred, tell him bill from ct. referred you
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:51 am

Casimier wrote:I'll also second that..."Don't use a broker". You must ask them...are you an auto carrier?..If they say "everyone uses the same carriers and dispatch board"...hang up the phone.
    I've found that paying an extra $100 is far better than haggling with these guys over when where and how is my truck.

All I can say is: DITTO!

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

transport - Auto Transport Recommendations? Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    BILLS66
    BILLS66

Number of posts : 1383
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by BILLS66 Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:00 pm

I use united road ( for work ) they have never let me down. Bill

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 6:39 pm